What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Jamaica scientist launches medical marijuana firm

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jamaica scientist launches medical marijuana firm
AP Dec 4,2013
KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) — A prominent Jamaican scientist and entrepreneur is launching a company that aims to capitalize on medical marijuana, a growing global industry that he asserted Wednesday could be a boon for the island's chronically limping economy.

Henry Lowe, a researcher who specializes in medicinal chemistry and the chairman of an institute that develops therapeutic and cosmetic products from various plants in Jamaica, is calling his new venture Medicanja. It will focus on isolating medicinal compounds in the cannabis plant, known locally as "ganja," and Lowe said the research will not violate any local laws or international conventions.
Lowe said Jamaica could become a powerhouse in the nascent medical marijuana industry, health tourism and the development of innovative pot-derived items. Local scientists already have a history of creating marijuana-derived products, such as "Canasol," which helps relieve pressure in the eyes of glaucoma patients.
"This is a big opportunity for us," Lowe said in a phone interview.
Marijuana is pervasive on the Caribbean island despite being prohibited since 1913. It's long been used as a medicinal herb by Jamaican families and as a spiritual sacrament by Rastafarians. In 2001, a government-appointed commission said pot was "culturally entrenched" and recommended decriminalization, but the effort stalled.
Advocates for pot say it's time for Jamaica to give its moribund economy a boost by embracing cannabis-related ventures. With a growing number of U.S. states changing their marijuana laws, and voters in Washington and Colorado legalizing marijuana, the activists say Jamaica should decriminalize pot and stop worrying that might anger the U.S. The island has long been the Caribbean's biggest pot exporter to the U.S.
Influential politicians are increasingly taking up the idea. Health Minister Fenton Ferguson said last week that he is "fully on board" with medical marijuana, and the justice minister has said the Cabinet should be asked to consider changes to pot laws before the end of the year.
Some church leaders and lawmakers oppose decriminalization of even small amounts of marijuana, arguing the negative effects of the drug outweigh any benefits, especially for young people. But many of them say they have no problem with medical marijuana research.
http://news.yahoo.com/jamaica-scientist-launches-medical-marijuana-firm-203831144.html

supermanlives

Veteran
we don't really need to import anything anymore unless you like brickweed.last time in Jamaica in the 90s I didn't find anything better than I could get in the usa. still fun tho and the jerk was off da hook.i like Jamaican food better than I did the weed

OLDproLg

Veteran
and the US.....

WHAT the fuck does anybody care about what
the US has to say about it???????????

FUCK THIS PLACE,go jamaica go........
its your land,not ours!
Lg

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's about time the whole rest of the world started giving a f*** about what the US government wants.
seriously... every "first world" government is solely protecting its industries' interests, because that's where the money comes from. Especially the US.

Go Jamaica GO !

supermanlives

Veteran
well we were their biggest customer yall.best Jamaican weed I had was from some workers at an apple orchard who brought it with em. I fell out of one tree and got laughed at . them guys can work .A frame ladder , bucket on you chest full of apples, recipe for disaster and instant applesauce lol

DrZin978

I'm glad some countries in the Americas are turning on to Medical/Legal marijuana. If Jamaica legalizes medical marijuana, it might be a strong enough precedent for other smaller countries in the Americas to follow. I hope other countries do what Uruguay has done as well!

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Problem is they're all under Uncle Sam's thumb...like most of the "free world"...

Latest posts

Latest posts