What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

It's the end of Medical Marijuana as we know it (And I feel fine)

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
From the mainstream media:

Medical marijuana has new competition, and it's fierce: Sales of recreational pot in Colorado are growing faster than sales of medical pot, even though medical marijuana is cheaper because of a lower tax rate.
That trend will continue, according to the most thorough analysis yet of the two, side-by-side legal markets.

GreenWave Advisors, which provides analysis for the cannabis industry, reports that medical marijuana sales growth in Colorado dipped in 2014, as did the number of new medical cardholders.

"We forecast the average patient count will continue to decline from approximately 114,000 in 2014 to 99,000 by 2020," GreenWave said. At the same time, GreenWave predicts that the recreational side will see compound annual growth of 20 percent, "with likely upside as the market expands into new jurisdictions."

Read More:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102515590?__...dline|headline|story&par=yahoo&doc=102515590#.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Those numbers from CO are probably a bit skewed due to the fact that a lot of recreational sales are coming from tourists and medical has been in existence for a while. A reason there may be a dip in medical sales might be anonymity and access, people don’t want to get a card and can access recreational even if it costs more.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
The Rec scene is very interesting. Much of their sales comes from the resort areas of the state where the tourists don't really care what weed costs as it is such a novelty. MMJ is taxed roughly about 3% and the Rec tax rate is over 25% as some localities are taxing more. Weed sales were skewed during the first months of this year as some dispensaries went Rec and were able to transfer the stock on hand. I was worried because the politicians talked about not getting enough tax money and were thinking about cutting back on people allowed to buy MMJ. Thank God that is starting to straighten out and taxes on Rec are rolling in. There is a TABOR law on the books where the politicians are forced to have people vote on any new tax. They are only allowed to get a certain amount of tax money and any overages must go back to the people. The marijuana taxes are coming in at a higher amount than is allowable so the politicians must give the money back to people or have a vote to get permission to keep the extra money. The politicos are starting to get really crazy as they see a pile of money there but they can't touch it.

Heusinomics

I agree this this is troubling!

As a medical grower, I think that people who do not renew there med status are retarded!!!!!
Forgetting the insane tax rate of ~30%. Having the med card alowes us MORE PLANTS,better support in the community, and MORE RIGHTS!

Those that think we don't need to protect outselves from gov overregulation must have the smoke "or wool" over there eyes.
And we sure as he'll can't roll over n let Monsanto or Philip Morris do our growing for us!!!
Shits scary!

Bob-Zilla

As a medical grower, I think that people who do not renew there med status are retarded!!!!!
Forgetting the insane tax rate of ~30%. Having the med card alowes us MORE PLANTS,better support in the community, and MORE RIGHTS!

Those that think we don't need to protect outselves from gov overregulation must have the smoke "or wool" over there eyes.
And we sure as he'll can't roll over n let Monsanto or Philip Morris do our growing for us!!!
Shits scary!
BIG MARIJUANA is on its way, folks better wise up in the poll booths although I'm afraid it's already too late.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
they treated it just like tobacco...milk that cash cow...yeehaw...some of us grow our own and the man can kiss our grass...I aint in co.. but the sentiment remains

OldeMann

I hope that our politicians in Alaska can make rec marijuana work. The AK legisture killed our medical bill years ago when they put DSHS in charge of licensing. Then they made it to where you needed a foot in the grave before they would consider giving you a MMJ card.

Lets hope they smell the money in rec and make it work for us!

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran

Shits scary!

While I don't want Monsanto or Philip Morris weed it is not me that will decide, it is the US public, the same folks that buy all their food from Safeway, clothing from Wal-mart, cars from Ford, gas from the local muti-national oil Co., etc etc. Cannabis when legal will be bought at the 7-11 with the beer, potato chips and ice cream. It is the American way!!! I will grow my own, I don't care what others want to do as long as I can do what I want.
-SamS

RetroGrow

Veteran
At this point in life, I am much more interested in medical strains than "recreational", which is a misnomer anyway. "Recreational" strains are also medicinal. Selective breeding for high THC has skewed herb away from pleasant strains of 10-20 years ago to strains that are stupefying, IMO. I don't need strains that are more than 20% THC. 15% is fine, and some of the finer, tastier strains are lower THC, IMO. As far as these strains that advertise over 30%, it's all BS/marketing, IMO. I don't believe it for a second. I see people listing GG4 as over 30%, but do not believe it. More like 19-20%, with an extra 10-12% thrown in for marketing purposes. I wouldn't give up a medical card. Who wants to pay more for the same thing? Especially when we can grow our own the way we like it. I will never purchase herb from a big corporation or 7-11.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
At this point in life, I am much more interested in medical strains than "recreational", which is a misnomer anyway. "Recreational" strains are also medicinal. Selective breeding for high THC has skewed herb away from pleasant strains of 10-20 years ago to strains that are stupefying, IMO. I don't need strains that are more than 20% THC. 15% is fine, and some of the finer, tastier strains are lower THC, IMO. As far as these strains that advertise over 30%, it's all BS/marketing, IMO. I don't believe it for a second. I see people listing GG4 as over 30%, but do not believe it. More like 19-20%, with an extra 10-12% thrown in for marketing purposes. I wouldn't give up a medical card. Who wants to pay more for the same thing? Especially when we can grow our own the way we like it. I will never purchase herb from a big corporation or 7-11.

And your food and gasoline and cars and clothing, TV's etc etc?
The new youth growing up today mostly just don't care or they prefer convenience, few brew their own beer, or wine, or grow tobacco for smoking if so inclined, or grow their own food, they use the 7-11, Wal-Mart, Safeway, fast food. That will be the future of Cannabis, in the USA for sure. As long as you can also grow your own for personal use if you wish, who cares? Not me.
I will grow what I like with the taste I like, with the effects I like, the potency I like, and then grind it up and make really good dry sift, that is what I like...

I guess I am the opposite, I have worked with medical Cannabis the last 25 years and am really only interested in improving recreational varieties today. The right terpenes + THC.
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
BTW 30% THC can be found in manicured Cannabis of the right kinds, I am not saying the ones you mention are 30% THC but it is possible.
And anyway Terpenes are as or more important then just high THC, and few labs measure that very well as of yet.
-SamS

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BTW 30% THC can be found in manicured Cannabis of the right kinds, I am not saying the ones you mention are 30% THC but it is possible.
And anyway Terpenes are as or more important then just high THC, and few labs measure that very well as of yet.
-SamS

30% THC or 30% cannabiniod content?

30% THC... I have my doubts. ;)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
-SamS

agree. flavor and aroma are important...i don't need the strongest weed in the world to be happy. hell, some of the Columbian i smoked in the seventies was the most satisfying herb i ever smoked. i have older friends that buy green-ass homegrown so that they can sit around and smoke an entire joint and not be rendered into a babbling fool. not everyone is into seeing just how high they can get without it being unpleasant...:biggrin:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Shits scary!

What you don't seem to understand is the concept of a license. According to Blacks Law Dictionary, a license is:
"A revocable permission to commit some act that would otherwise be unlawful; esp., an agreement (not amounting to a lease or profit à prendre) that will be lawful for the licensee to enter the licensors land to do some act that would otherwise be illegal, such as hunting game. See SERVITUDE."

So you see...
You are NOT being granted more "Rights" you simply are receiving "permission" to go above normal plant count. (I'm not sure what other permissions are granted by the license).

These particular licenses, as most, are nothing more than a contract between You, the licensee, and the State, the licensor.
It grants you certain "privileges" but not one single Right.

These licenses, due to the nature of their existence, are a violation of the Doc/Patient confidently relationship.
This is the reason they're not required in Cali.

RetroGrow

Veteran
-SamS

Agree totally on the terpenes, etc. I prefer something that suits my tastes/needs, rather than chasing strains with THC #s that are obviously inflated for marketing purposes, ie., GG4 @ 32%. I am willing to bet that is not the case, and that is not a knock on the strain at all. It's a fine strain, but not 32%. It's still a fine strain @ 20%. For me, anything that's 20% or thereabouts is strong. One or two hits gets me blasted. Much more interested in the terpene profile, and the mix of cannabinoids. Don't doubt that 30% can be reached. Just not my criteria for judging.

Latest posts

Latest posts