What's new

It looks like my Boveda 62 Packs are actually about 45 to 48 ???? Really??

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I don't want to get into the love/hate argument about Boveda. I know some people love and some hate. I used them when they first came out and I don't use them much any more. However, I keep them around in case I fuck up and over-dry something. Right now I have 2 different purchases of Bovedas. 1 is the large 67 size, which is almost always what I use. And the other is the smaller size 8. All are 62RH

The size 67's are about a year old. The size 8's are a few months old. Maybe 6.

OK, now to my story.

I am harvesting and drying a bunch of pot lately and I use the little cheapo hygrometers during the drying and curing to keep track. I know these are cheapo but I have been using them for many years and I love them. I might toss 2 or 3 into the same jar and take an average. They are usually withing 5 or 7 so that's enough for me to know if a jar is sweating at 80%+. Not perfect... adequate.

Recently, I harvested about 10 or 15 ounces so I needed a bunch of my hygrometers. Over the years I have bought many of these and right now I probably have 50 or 60. What I do in a case like this is to take about 10 or 15 hygrometers and put them in a half gallon Ball jar with a couple Boveda 62's and when I need a hygrometer I pick the one from the jar which is closest to 62. Duh. Dick fucking Tracy.

Sometimes I use a pie plate covered in Saran wrap or a clear Pyrex cake pan with a rubber lid placed upside down with the hygrometers on the lid. Either way, air tight shit. And, then pick the hygrometer closest to 62.

So, the other day I am jarring and I am grabbing hygrometers off the plate and I am noticing that I have very few the 62RH reading. Most were in the mid 40's. WTF? I know these things do wear out and loose accuracy. In the past, I have pulled them apart and cleaned the sensor with alcohol and sometimes that brings them back. I have tossed more than a few into the trash.

However, this time, I didn't have enough accurate hygrometers to finish the job so I get on Amazon and I order 20 more hygrometers. Got them today ( I love Amazon LOL)

When I got the 20 new hygrometers I took them out of their box and put them into a jar with a couple Boveda 62's. This was a few hours ago and I noticed that almost every hygrometer was reading about 45. WTF? I thought to myself. Did I get an entire batch of bad hygrometers?

So, I put my Oregon Scientific sensor in the jar and bingo.... 45%. Damn. I put 3 more sensors in the jar. Another Oregon Scientific and a Caliber IV and a Hygroset. Everything reads mid-40's.

Now, I understand that a Boveda can dry up but I never knew they actually changed RH during their life.

So, I run a few tests. As I see it, out of 4 Boveda 62's from the same purchase and all the same age and same condition, one is around 55%, and 2 of them are real steady at about 45%.

The little 8 gram packs are showing about 60 but I have about 6 or 7 of the packs in one jar so it's an average.

Damn, I was never a huge lover of Boveda and not a hater. But, at least I thought they were fairly accurate. I hate to think I am putting a 45% Boveda into my wonderful 65% cannabis.

Summary and conclusion: "This Shit Don't Make No Sense"

First thing I would do is check the meters for accuracy, ie: the salt water test. I probably have 30 or 40 of the same meters and this year i threw out 10 of them because they wernt accurate anymore.