What's new

Is there something wrong with this plant?

AutoBrew

First time posting and first time grower.

Strain is LSD-25 auto

Using a marshydro ts600 light and 2x2 grow tent. I have a carbon filter, 4inch inline fan and 6 inch oscillating fan. Im going for a 24 hour light cycle and maintaining 25⁰C with an ultra flat hanging heater. Humidity is usually around 50%

My medium mix is:
30L Canna Bio Terra Plus Soil Mix
7L Perlite
3L Vermiculite
5L Worm Castings

I will be using Canna Bio Vega, Flores & Boost.

These photos are 14 days after germination.

Ive attached 3 images. 1 of which you will see looks very healthy. The other 2 photos are of my second plant of the same strain. It just doesnt look good. Can anyone help?
image_2099387.png
image_2099388.png
image_2099389.png

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperBadGrower

Hello, indeed the plant looks struggling to "keep up" in terms of color. maybe a little too much light for its metabolism.

The top of the medium looks rather dry, so you are doing a good job at not overwatering. Be careful also not to under-water it. I know that sounds kind of lame.
Despite maybe a bit of assimilation issues, the plant looks the proper size. The stature is good too. Dont worry too much

Yes the other one looks great.

:)

This interveinal chlorosis is typical of magnesium "deficiency"
Magnesium is in every pigment of chlorophyll in your plant.
This is chloropyhll: C₅₅H₇₂O₅N₄Mg

Carbon, water, air, nitrogen, and 1 magnesium.

Some will say: feed your plant epsom salt. I say there is enough magnesium, but seems like the plants metabolism can't support the assimilation of it.
Look up "DLI" - all plants have a certain DLI. With more than the 'maximum' DLI, there is diminishing returns or harmful effects.
That said people told me the same things and I still did the 24/7 thing anyway because I am hard headed. in that case dim or raise the light a bit.

edit:
Looking a second time, I see the affected plant is a bit warped, you see its tips are a bit wonky. It might be a bit of a runty plant. It can grow out of it. the newest growth looks pretty good so far

Considering the other one is doing fine I might be overreacting to the 24 hour lighting

AutoBrew

Hello, indeed the plant looks struggling to "keep up" in terms of color. maybe a little too much light for its metabolism.

The top of the medium looks rather dry, so you are doing a good job at not overwatering. Be careful also not to under-water it. I know that sounds kind of lame.
Despite maybe a bit of assimilation issues, the plant looks the proper size. The stature is good too. Dont worry too much

Yes the other one looks great.

:)

This interveinal chlorosis is typical of magnesium "deficiency"
Magnesium is in every pigment of chlorophyll in your plant.
This is chloropyhll: C₅₅H₇₂O₅N₄Mg

Carbon, water, air, nitrogen, and 1 magnesium.

Some will say: feed your plant epsom salt. I say there is enough magnesium, but seems like the plants metabolism can't support the assimilation of it.
Look up "DLI" - all plants have a certain DLI. With more than the 'maximum' DLI, there is diminishing returns or harmful effects.
That said people told me the same things and I still did the 24/7 thing anyway because I am hard headed. in that case dim or raise the light a bit.

edit:
Looking a second time, I see the affected plant is a bit warped, you see its tips are a bit wonky. It might be a bit of a runty plant. It can grow out of it. the newest growth looks pretty good so far

Considering the other one is doing fine I might be overreacting to the 24 hour lighting

Thanks for the advice! I plan on watering today with the water pd'd to between 6.2 - 6.5.

Should I add some organic calmag or would you recommend leaving it for a few more days and seeing how the new growth turns out?

The wonky plant has had this discolouration since it got its first set of leaves.

I have started giving each plant between 1L and 1.5L every 3-4 days plus maybe 200/300ml in the tray which the pot soaks up straight away. This is so the roots will have moist soil to grow into. Would you say this is ample amounts of water?

Koondense

Veteran
I would run them 20/4 even if autoflowers. Night cycle is important for root development.

Cheers

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Using a 24/0 schedule with leds isn't for beginners. Hard to do it with bio teas. You have to consider cal/mag needs, and much more nutes. ( dosis are given for 12/12 light schedule in general )
24/0 for 2 weeks is ok for autos then switch to 20/4 or 18/6. ( like Koondense said.)

A more aerated soil with something like 20 to 50% coco would have been also better. ( you have to adapt nutes with such a mix ).

StickyBandit

I also favor a night cycle but don't have experience with 24hr so it's just what I've always done
I recognize the stripy leaves and associate with overfertilization in my experience with my very basic system. I just flushed/watered with plain water until the leaves started to pale slightly before feeding again :)
Good luck :good:

AutoBrew

I also favor a night cycle but don't have experience with 24hr so it's just what I've always done
I recognize the stripy leaves and associate with overfertilization in my experience with my very basic system. I just flushed/watered with plain water until the leaves started to pale slightly before feeding again :)
Good luck :good:

I haven't fed the plants any nutes yet unless you include the worm castings in the soil. The plants are purely feeding on the nutes that are pre loaded into the canna bio soil.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
with 24hr light you have to watch out for too much light intensity.... I would back off the light, and the humidity is a bit low for a seedling..... You basically have a daily light quota and with LED its easy to meet the daily quota.....Plants cant handle 1000ppfd for 24hr.... In veg stage getting 18-24hr of light you dont need the same intensity as 10-12hr of light.... DLI...

SuperBadGrower

RE: feeding, with a mix of that bio canna terra stuff and worm castings it should be impossible to overfertilize from the get-go. You can probably grow plants full cycle in that mix, if you pot up before they get too rootbound & totally consume the fertilizer in the medium. (The bottled nutrients can be considered an alternative for potting up, which can be a PITA or impossible with big plants, or in crowded grows or SCROGs)
I think you can put a plant in 100% worm castings and they will love their life :)

Last time I grew autos (long ago), 2 gallons of that standard fare peat mix lasted about 4-6 weeks

Finally, imagine this. Its a lovely spring and you just put a cucumber plant in that very medium mix you've got. You check it in 4 weeks and find that it looks great. You never loved it to death, because who cares about a cucumber. It became a great plant because the environment allowed it to, and the medium is pretty much a guarantee for success.
Thats the kind of faith you gotta have in those bags of standard soil, esp. a known brand like that. If grandma can grow a tomato in it, it's good enough for weed. Grandma isnt about adding calmag to plants in week 2. Hell, she might not even know plants use magnesium. (some caveats may apply in the cannabis grower targeted industry)

This is also why it's good for beginners. take a peat mix bag, add worm castings, and anything that goes wrong is probably human error or some bad parameters in your semi-artificial environment (like low temperature or 10% relative humidity)

RE: watering
Sounds like you have a good plan. Unfortunately only experience (time) can teach you about watering. The plants will tell you :). Weed loves wet-dry cycles, most pests and diseases love wet-wet-wet cycles. To accelerate your learning 10-fold you could get a webcam or old smartphone, make a timelapse, and watch what happens when you water. After 1 grow you will be be 10x more informed about it than growers who can only watch their plant sporadically in "human time" (obviously the plant lives on a different time scale). This is supremely interesting

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Look dry to me. This won't help with availability or the microherds ability to function. It should be no drier than the day you bought it.

I have not used the bio, but Canna Terra isn't really a soil or compost. Some comes with food to get you going, but generally you feed.

You have strayed from the professionally mixed substrate by adding 50% more 'this n that' which won't be helping.

Latest posts

Latest posts