What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

HST/Super Cropping

Do you guys think this will work for my first attempt at Super Cropping. I tied down the branches so they would stay lower to push up new growth. The tops just righted themselves. Should i tie them down further out or tape down a Fan leaf to the Air pot? I have an idea that i need to get the tops further down but a Pros advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure bro first time i have done this.I have read a few pros and cons on the subject. I do not have enough knowledge on this particular topic to voice an opinion atm. I am hoping we hear some good answers

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What is your goal with supercropping?

From what I understand pinching the branches & bending (supercropping) causes the nodes below the pinches to branch out a bit quicker.
I see the technique useful for filling in an open canopy and for height control.

I'm not so sure there are any advantages over LST since they both accomplish the same goals.

I'm only familiar with LST,man. That's why I was asking, I've heard the term supercropping off and on for 10 years but never really learned anything about it.

Looks good to me though, man. Seems like your goal is to keep it low and wide/squat? I'd say you're doing it right.

@SmokinErb. Yes those are some reason as to why i am doing it this way. What i have read is this is a good way to increase yield and expose the bud growth 2 light it normally would not be getting in an inside grow. Defoliating will also help with that goal. I am no expert from what i read there are a lot of pros to it. My next grow i will be trying to super crop after i FIM it to 4 to 8 tops.

lst is less stressful imo.if you supercrop or pinch/bend with your fingers you create a injury.when lst is done you are redirecting the plant instead of injuring it.unless you break it lst ing it.jorge cervantes talks about the pros and cons of both in his grow book from i think 2007.i dont have the book anymore otherwise id quote it.i personally do both methods.plants that stretch more i tend to tie down since the effect is more pronounced imo.strains that dont stretch as much i supercrop.when you tie a plant down it stays down when you supercrop at some point it will recover enough to almost straighten back out.

After i Super cropped the next few days the girls started to head straight for the light. So i tied them down they still did not want to stay. Saw a little video using tape. So i taped down the fan leave to the pot "Sucks when using Air Pots or Smart Pots" works wonders. Most likely will not be breaking stems again. Jorge Cervantes is great

T

tazz11

no super cropping is design to make the plant defend it self to over come the damage ...

pulling the branches down or holding them down is not super cropping ... you bend the branch with out braking the outer skin .. then if will heal on its own most of the time within a week or so ...if you brake a branch don't freak out , just use a small piece of duct tape and wrap it for a week then remove it .. the plant will react to the damage and force growth this makes the buds a little bigger and a little better resin ...

do a few branches one week a few the next .. some people do them in waves . 3 or 4 then a few days latter 2or 3 more wait till the plant recovers then a week or so do it again ..some do this in late veg some do it in early flowering and med flowering stages ..

it is a defensive reaction by the plant to heal it self .. so keep that in mind and you will learn as you see the reaction of your plants ...

you guys are talking about two very different things . first the super cropping is a reaction to damage done to the plant . inner reaction as well as the forcing of horizontal growth but its main reaction is for the plant to improve what you have vs new bud sites . the tying down is the same basic as you get from SCOG ,your forcing horizontal growth to promote more bud site growth ...they both come with a cost of delayed flowering days but if done right the stress is limited and the damage becomes better over all qualities ..and yield ..

you can use both together ...and both are good skills to have . your plant and strain should reflect its need . jump in and try them what could happen . you could learn ...damn ....lol

Last edited:

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
is any of these methods good for a guerilla grower? last year i had a cage around my plant and the wire caught my shoelace and i tripped and it bend the plant stem. in a week or so it was had fixed its self wit the nuckle that everone talks about,but i honestly did not see no more yeild from it. perhaps if i would have keep doing it then it would make bigger yeild im just not sure. im thinking about testing it out this year but i just had to damage my plants on purpose..i almost feel quilty lol

T

tazz11

is any of these methods good for a guerilla grower? last year i had a cage around my plant and the wire caught my shoelace and i tripped and it bend the plant stem. in a week or so it was had fixed its self wit the nuckle that everone talks about,but i honestly did not see no more yeild from it. perhaps if i would have keep doing it then it would make bigger yeild im just not sure. im thinking about testing it out this year but i just had to damage my plants on purpose..i almost feel quilty lol

I guess its like smacking your hookers...lol