What's new

How to catch trout In the Colorado mountains...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
First you want slow burning fuzes... just kidding ;)
A kind fellow, with 30yrs experience fishing in the Colorado mnts, explained how one afternoon and my family easily catches trout now.

If you are like me, you spent time in your life not enjoying 'not catching fish.' I dislike standing around, losing lures and feeding bait to fish without catching anything. My wife and I had been drowning worms for an hour when a fellow pulled up, caught 3 trout in 15min right next to us and started to pack up and leave. I stopped him, plead guilty to bait abuse, and asked him to explain what he does.

Trout in the Colorado Mets will hit a brown or black looking fly on open, smooth water. Not very effective when windy unless you can find a pool with a surface that goes smooth once in a while. When you have smooth water surfaces, over holes in the bottom where trout hang out, you will catch trout.

Tie your fly, the weight of the line does not matter much and we use 12lb test ourselves. 5 to 6 feet from the fly you will attach a bobber of some sort. Bobber style does not matter. Cast (or if close enough we use a spool of line and simply throw the bobber/hook/line by hand) out past the area where the water goes calm and still. Slowly reel in the line and the trout will hit the fly as it passes over them. Crazy effective, and has fed my belly many times. lol I may dislike losing bait and drowning worms... but I sure love catching and eating fish. ;)

There... now all you need to feed yourself in the Colorado mnts, (if you digest trout ok, B and AB blood types do not) is a spool of line, a bobber (cork from the bottle) and an ant looking fly.

Be good to yourselves :tiphat:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
hard fished areas/streams, you might have to go to a finer leader. lots of folks over-think trout fishing. free-stone streams don't have much to eat in them, so trout have to be less picky or starve...