What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

How soon can I clone from a seedling?

twist1uc

Hello all. I hope this finds you well.

I'm thinking of getting some seeds.... an AWESOME new strain. But they are expensive (rightfully so). I'd only like to pop half of them and save the other half. Problem is... I need all of them like yesterday. LOL!

So my question is how soon can I get a clone of each of them to start off another room?

Thank you!!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After a month's growth, more like 6 weeks...you need several sets of lateral branches to successfully clone from nib site.

Granger2

Veteran
Well, as soon as you get the central leader big/tall enough to take a cutting, you can get one. This will cause branching and lower branches. You can take more then. Good luck. -granger

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It would help to veg long enough for the plant to show sex as well. You probably dont want to clone males...

RonSmooth

Veteran
I dont know that there is a minimum maturity bioligically. It seems much easier to get roots and get them faster with a healthy, mature & vegetatively growing plant with plenty of selections for cuttings.

vostok

Veteran
So my question is how soon can I get a clone of each of them to start off another room?

From the time I FIM my babes on the 4th lateral
or the 3rd lateral if autos,
I clone those to the bubble cloner
it takes about 3-4 weeks on average

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, as soon as you get the central leader big/tall enough to take a cutting, you can get one. This will cause branching and lower branches. You can take more then. Good luck. -granger

That can stress a plant, esp. with newbie doing the cuttingcloning. Better to have several shoots. If you screw up, you still have a few and won't damage/stress the plant as much.

Granger2

Veteran
Well I guess it does stress them some, but seems like a newbie can cut a stem like anyone else. He asked how soon. -granger

idiit

Veteran
i'm primarily an outdoor grower who just uses indoors for seeds, clones, early appraisals so i don't have the indoor expertise many here at ic do. from my experience the white light produces better stems much quicker that enable successful cloning than my yellow hps. i cut back my females from the yellow hps flowering room and move them into my small/short height clone, seedling area where i use cfls. very quickly the stems fatten and toughen up for successful clones. clones from plants under hps take a lot longer to get "woody" enough for successful clones.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Depends if you want to "butcher/sacrifice" the plant (clone 100% of the plant) or if you want a "mother" for future clones--where her structure and health is of more concern. Difference is a few weeks or a month or two...

xxPeacePipexx

It all depends on many variables and you have plenty of good advice here to follow . Vigor and health is the key to making this happen as fast as possible . Take your time and take care of them well and they will let you know when its time .

Nobody can say for certain and everything else is just an estimate . I clone my young boys and girls around the age of 4 weeks on average and I usually take the main top as my first and best clone . With this said though their are strains and cultivars that are very slow growing - with these it often takes a few more weeks before a cut can be made .

Best of Karma

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
And, I might add--it also depends on the number of clones you want.

To pull a dozen or so requires lots of "timber", but since you just want one--and if you top/FIM your plants, then I would clone the "top" once there are sufficient number of branches. Some want just a few branches others want a dozen or so before topping...so it depends on how vigorous the plant growth is and how many branches you want.

IMHO, the top of young plants seem to be healthier to clone than the lower branches...and have fatter stems.

rik78

Veteran
idiit, so you saying that woody parts are better for cloning than more softer ones?

and with softer, I mean still strong enough and hard enough to be clone.

I have a mun that because how I did took previuos clones is getting really woody and hard, and I was afraid it was going to be very dificult to clone.
I was thinking a fresh clone is better than a mature one... but after reading you I regain hope!

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Stick woody cuts in tap water (not RO--you want the chlorine) for 2-5 days; change water each day...and DO NOT recut the stem. Then go about your normal clone routine including trimming the leaves.

Latest posts

Latest posts