What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

How do you Undermine Marijuana Legalization? Attack the Science

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ttp://wallstcheatsheet.com/business/the-anti-marijuana-lobby-is-enlisting-scientific-mercenaries.html

"One incredibly effective method for garnering support against a cause is to attack the science and facts supporting it, even if it is a virtual certainty that you’d be fighting a losing battle. It’s an old but potent tactic that has been used in several different industries over the past several decades, and now marijuana is the new target.

According to an article from from Vice, this is precisely what’s happening to the incubating cannabis industry, despite the fact that marijuana has only been legalized for recreational use in two states, with two more more waiting in the wings (along with the curious case of D.C.), and a number of others for medicinal purposes. It’s been well-known for a while that there are several groups with vested interests in keeping marijuana prohibition intact, including prison guard unions, law enforcement agencies, private prison companies, and even tobacco and alcohol conglomerates. But the group Vice focuses on is the painkiller industry.

At first thought, you might suspect that pharmaceutical companies would be ecstatic about marijuana prohibition finally coming to an end, as it could possibly supply them with a relatively cheap and valuable new resource to study and commercialize. But as with any entrenched special-interest group, they instead view it as a threat to profits.

Thus, instead of embracing the end of prohibition, many companies have decided to pay academics, as a sort of pro-industry group of mercenaries, to develop research that instead leads to the conclusion that marijuana is a health hazard and should remain outlawed. Vice cites the claims of Dr. Herbert Kleber of Columbia University, who has published work and has also been quoted as saying that marijuana is a ‘gateway drug’, is addictive, and will end up harming society on a large scale.

While those statements may in fact reflect the genuine concerns of many people, it may not in fact be a genuine concern of scientists and doctors. Kleber, it turns out, is a paid consultant to several large pharmaceutical companies that manufacture painkillers, which could lose their appeal if marijuana is adopted en masse in coming years. After all, why would an ill individual opt to medicate using addictive, expensive and dangerous prescription medications when they can get the same, if not superior relief from cannabis-derived products?

Long-term marijuana use does most likely pose some health risks. Smoking — no matter what the substance — isn’t good for your health, and there is plenty of research to be done focused on the long-term effects of cannabis use, particularly in young adults and teenagers. But even with those concerns in mind, marijuana use is not even remotely close in terms of danger and damage to products like cigarettes, alcohol and even prescription painkillers — all of which have been linked to thousands, if not millions of deaths per year.

Marijuana has still yet to kill anyone, although it could potentially play a factor in things like auto accidents.

But deaths from overdoses? Those hard, if not impossible, to find.

The truth is that the ploy being used by these painkiller manufacturers is not a new one. We saw the same strategy employed by cigarette and tobacco companies during the 1960s and ’70s, with claims that their products were harmless, when they are, in fact, one of the most dangerous products available. We’re seeing it today in the climate change debate, in which an overwhelming majority of scientists have come to the conclusion that man-made climate change is a serious problem. Yet, there are still a handful of outliers (many of whom on the payroll of large, entrenched energy corporations) who feel otherwise.

Perhaps the most important question of all regarding these paid academics is relative to the concerns they’re espousing in the first place. For those opposing marijuana legalization, the arguments are usually centered around health concerns and public safety. Yet, we already have far more dangerous products available on the market (cigarettes, beer, etc.), which actually do lead to increased instances of violence and crime, and nobody is calling for those items to be outlawed.

So why would they have a problem with marijuana?

Again, there are people who genuinely hold these concerns. But it has to be understood that the ties these paid academics hold to these companies can compromise their opinion in many aspects, especially in the eyes of the public who are looking to them for guidance. The truth is, we need to take what the paid ‘experts’ are saying with a grain of salt. This is the same tactic we’ve seen the energy and cigarette industries use over the years, and until some concrete evidence surfaces that marijuana is indeed a public threat, there’s really no reason to think we need to wade back into the prohibition years.

After all, do we really want to keep putting people in jail to bolster the profits of pharmaceutical companies, private prison organizations, and prison guard unions? Because those are really the only thing outlawing marijuana is protecting — not so much the general public from outbreaks of violence and crime."

Read more: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/busines...fic-mercenaries.html/?a=viewall#ixzz3LiNS7oer

Betterhaff

Veteran
I’d like to hear Dr Kleber’s take on this.

CDC Report: Fatal Overdoses From Prescription Painkillers Tripled

Has our nation's reliance on prescription painkillers gotten out of hand? (Stephen Lam/Corbis)

The epidemic of opiod overdoses is contimuing to take its deadly toll on Americans: The rate of deaths involving prescription painkillers like Oxycontin and Vicldin more than triped between 1999 and 2012, according to a new CDC report. The heroin-related death rate is also on the rise, increasing nearly threefold in the same time period.
<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Despite these troublesome numbers, the CDC analysis did reveal one encouraging trend: From 2011 to 2012, the rate of prescription painkiller-related deaths dropped by 5 percent, marking the first such decrease in more than a decade.
<o:p></o:p>
“The rate of drug-poisoning deaths involving opioid analgesics is now starting to level off,” Dr. Holly Hedegaard, a CDC epidemiologist who worked on the report, tells Yahoo Health. However, she cautions, this decline wasn’t statistically significant. “I wouldn’t say this is the start of a downward trend — the death rate is just not increasing at the pace that it was between 2000 and 2006, when it was increasing about 18 percent per year,” she says. “What will it be like in 2013 or 2014? There’s no way I can project that.”
Dr. Andrew Kolodny, director of Physicians for Responsible Opioid Prescribing, takes a similarly conservative approach in interpreting the new data. “I don’t think there’s anything to celebrate about until we see opioid overdose deaths in general coming down,” he tells Yahoo Health. “And that hasn’t happened yet.”
The burgeoning opioid epidemic can be traced back to the late 1990s, when doctors began aggressively prescribing the drugs for chronic pain — a shift that Kolodny, also chief medical officer for Phoenix House, a nonprofit addiction treatment agency, blames on marketing campaigns launched by the makers of prescription painkillers.
“The message was that the compassionate way to treat complaints of pain — even common conditions like low-back pain, fibromyalgia, headache — was with an opioid prescription,” Kolodny says. Doctors were told that these patients didn’t face a high risk of addiction, “since the maker of Oxycontin saw a fear of addiction as a barrier to sales,” he says.
Consequently, as the rate of opioid prescriptions rose, there were parallel increases in addiction and overdose deaths.
Of course, not all of the nation’s overdoses occur in opioid addicts — the death rates include young people experimenting for the first time and patients with chronic pain who accidentally take too many pills. “Those deaths are significant,” Kolodny says. “But the vast majority of deaths are occurring in people who are likely to be opioid-addicted.”
These aren’t necessarily the young pill poppers you might expect: The average painkiller overdose occurs in an adult between the ages of 45 to 54, says Kolodny. “It’s middle-aged folks,” he says. “This is a group that doesn’t have to switch to heroin because they’re able to get pills from doctors. In fact, the increase in overdose deaths and medical visits for opioids has been greatest in the middle-aged and elderly population.”
However, he adds, “I do think the medical community is beginning to recognize that we made a big mistake. So the medical community is beginning to prescribe more cautiously, which is what needs to happen to bring the epidemic under control.”
But even that isn’t without its downside: As prescription painkillers become tougher to acquire, the shift to heroin may continue to accelerate.
Starting in the early 2000s, some painkiller addicts — often those who used the drugs recreationally — began switching to heroin (also an opioid), probably because it was easier to acquire. “They have a harder time getting painkillers because they’re young and don’t have any medical issues,” Kolodny explains.
That may explain why heroin overdoses typically occur in 20-somethings, who are “actually dying at a much lower rate than the middle-aged and older folks who can get these pills directly from doctors,” he says. One explanation: Heroin users typically take lower doses of the drug, compared to prescription pill users, since they’re unable to afford or acquire more. By contrast, “the pain patients are getting massive, massive doses from doctors,” Kolodny says. “And they don’t have to run around for it. Their insurance is paying for it.”
In 2012, there were about 6,000 overdoses involving heroin, compared to 16,000 involving prescription painkillers, according to the CDC report. Even so, heroin overdosing is a growing issue: Unlike the rate of deaths due to prescription painkillers, which recently declined, the heroin death rate leapt 35 percent from 2011 to 2012 alone.
Part of the problem: Young addicts are often afraid to seek medical attention for friends who overdose, reducing their odds of survival. “They use with their peers frequently — they’ll inject together, they’ll buy drugs together,” Kolodny says. “When a peer has overdosed, people are afraid to call 911, because the police might come on the scene, and they’re worried they’ll get arrested.” Some states have passed Good Samaritan laws to circumvent this problem, yet the overdose rate is still rising.
Similarly, efforts to curb prescription painkiller abuse — for example, creating “abuse-deterrent” capsules — don’t seem to be as effective as hoped. “Making pills harder to crush and snort doesn’t make them less addictive,” says Kolodny.
And although the CDC has named ending opioid abuse a top priority, “the Food and Drug Administration continues to approve new opioids and continues to let them be marketed for conditions where they’re not safe or effective,” he says. “There are states across the country struggling to do what they can, but they’re really not getting the support they need from the federal government.”

https://www.yahoo.com/health/cdc-report-fatal-overdoses-from-prescription-104261960822.html

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good one, Betterhaff!!!

And supposedly they reformulated oxycodone so you couldn't get high (I think by crushing/snorting). That's what my pharmacist says.

If you hold your breath long enough, there's a detriment there, too. Or water intoxication stripping necessary electrolytes from your system by drinking too much water.

Marijuana is not shit as a pain killer by itself...Its meant to help cut down the use of opioid.

dead patients don't buy pills....live ones do.

Its fucked that docs don't think of an exit strategy on something so dangerous. Yea there are the type that will be on a strong dose for the rest of their lives and that is the only solution. But if the patient is willing, faking, and or uninformed they get are getting fucked.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Marijuana is not shit as a pain killer by itself...Its meant to help cut down the use of opioid.

dead patients don't buy pills....live ones do.

Its fucked that docs don't think of an exit strategy on something so dangerous. Yea there are the type that will be on a strong dose for the rest of their lives and that is the only solution. But if the patient is willing, faking, and or uninformed they get are getting fucked.

I find cannabis to be a good analgesic all by itself- better than ibuprofen, not the equal of oxycodone, of course.

I use it mostly for the side effects, however.

I find cannabis to be a very effective pain killer. The other major long term effect for me is my lower back relaxing. Without the muscle tension I have almost no back spasms. No spams keeps my vertebrae from shifting and me walking. Cannabis is the only thing I have found effective for this.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I think the big problems facing this kind of propaganda campaign are the real world results of legalization in CO & now other places as well.

We never had that before. What we did have was anecdotal experience, lots of it, obviously, but not data. They had fearmongering & projection backed up by semi-scientific grant whores.

Now, at long last, honest comparisons of real world results are possible. All kinds of statistics are being compiled about crime, domestic violence, driving, drug overdoses, ER visits, attributable workplace accidents, Mental health, treatment centers, you name it. They always have been. How will 2014 stack up against 2012, for example?

So far, we're looking just fine. In many respects, it's like nothing happened at all.

They're having a lot of trouble dealing with that, obviously, so they'll try to switch rationales, again, go on about how we don't know the long term effects from a "scientific" perspective, so we need to keep it illegal so that there's no way to find out.

Except that we already know the answer from a societal perspective. If cannabis really fucked people up, we'd know, given the number of people who've used it since the 60's, some continuously.

I don't really go along with some of the conspiracy stuff. I really think it's driven by the need to curry favor from right wing politicians who need these kinds of issues to keep their flock nicely irrational, voting them back into office. So, hire some whores, tell 'em what the congress critters want to hear & they'll deliver. The whores are hoping to catch the eye of the really big money financing the congress critters (often just whores themselves) so that their institution & their work can receive even more & larger grants.

Having scratched the congress critters backs with both money & propaganda they can use, they'll be seeking your council about this new bill that affects your industry.

It works the other way, too. Sheldon Adelson spread around a lot of cash in defeating Florida's mmj initiative, mostly to Repub operatives at all levels. Call it a gesture of friendship, like a gift from the Godfather. They welcome his benevolence. They don't care about what's good or bad about cannabis, they just care that it's an issue they can use.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It really depends on the type of pain, Cannabis is not very effective for toothache.
-SamS

If a tincture mixed with clove oil....it works. Toothaches, as you know, mostly caused by infection, or nerve roots exposed. Short term use....cann tincture/clove oil works until Rx can be written.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I find cannabis to be a good analgesic all by itself- better than ibuprofen, not the equal of oxycodone, of course.

I use it mostly for the side effects, however.

Exactly, Jhhnn. Have had osteoarthritis for 30 yrs, and now in severe stage in part from career choice, in part, my former activities for 45 yrs...camping on hard forest floor, backpacking wilderness areas all over the US/Europe.

Have bone spurs in spine that NSAIDS finally ceased working, thus on low dose narcotic regimen. Using tinctures has lessened amount of prescribed per day, but cannot soley use cann for total pain relief. Wearing a bath tub of hot water not an option either, but soaks/saunas do help.

There will continue to be nay sayers of cannabis for analgesics, or anything else. Any graph/poll will skew info in support of their cause they are seeking.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I think a lot of doctors prescribe narcotics way too easily, a lot of times when a patient just asks “what can be done for the pain?” I also know some folks that became addicted after a medical procedure (usually surgery) yet continued getting scripts long after the recuperation period should have been over. You know damn well the doctor knows the ramifications. It’s hard to keep a person from going from doctor to doctor to obtain their drugs but how can a doctor just keep doling this stuff out.

Don’t get me wrong, narcotics have their place. I’ve been on a cross morphine/demerol drip before and have had various narcotics prescribed (rather easily by the way) and in those cases they were effective. But those were unique situations and in some cannabis also helped to alleviate some of the pain.

I had a friend that was in a car accident and had major reconstructive surgery. She said in recuperation the thing that gave her the best relief was cannabis.

<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Jhhnn

Veteran
I think a lot of doctors prescribe narcotics way too easily, a lot of times when a patient just asks “what can be done for the pain?” I also know some folks that became addicted after a medical procedure (usually surgery) yet continued getting scripts long after the recuperation period should have been over. You know damn well the doctor knows the ramifications. It’s hard to keep a person from going from doctor to doctor to obtain their drugs but how can a doctor just keep doling this stuff out.

Don’t get me wrong, narcotics have their place. I’ve been on a cross morphine/demerol drip before and have had various narcotics prescribed (rather easily by the way) and in those cases they were effective. But those were unique situations and in some cannabis also helped to alleviate some of the pain.

I had a friend that was in a car accident and had major reconstructive surgery. She said in recuperation the thing that gave her the best relief was cannabis.

<!--?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /--><o:p></o:p>

They turn stupid about it, too. My housebound mother, mid-80's has extreme scoliosis, degenerative bone disease & osteo arthritis, suffers spontaneous vertebrae fractures. She uses low dose fentanyl patches to control the pain, has for a few years.

New rule- she can only get a 30 day supply instead of 90 days, and she has to go to her doctor to get the script refilled every month. Apparently, she can still get ginormous bottles of percocet thru the mail, however, every 3 months. She avoids using 'em (terrible constipation) except when things get very bad for her, still has most of a bottle from early 2013.

Go figure.

Thank you, DEA, thank you very much for making an old woman's life a little bit more difficult.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you, DEA, thank you very much for making an old woman's life a little bit more difficult.

Yeah, thank Nixon forming the DEA....things could be better served if they concentrated efforts elsewhere.

Also, more strides to reformulate the Rx, it's it's partially been done in last year or so....it's still a very safe drug (used properly...patches/ pills) and most use it, don't abuse it. However, there's that faction that will chew Fentanyl patches to get high.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Jhhnn, sorry to hear about your mom’s conditions and situation, that sucks. Low dose fentanyl patches sound like an oxymoron…sorry I had too. I was talking to a doctor friend a while ago about opiod abuse and he said he is prescribing opiod patches to his patients. I don’t believe it was fentanyl but other drugs using this delivery system. He said part of the prescription conditions is the patient has to return the used patches as proof that they were used by the same. I guess there still could be some abuse capabilities here…”hey lets’ get high just make sure you give me the patches back when we’re done”.

Back to the OP’s subject. I wonder if the recent omnibill legislation will have any effect on research being conducted in medically legal states? I realize it won’t happen at public universities or institutions that receive federal funding but what about the private sector?

Latest posts

Latest posts