What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

How do you start your seeds.This is how I start mine.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I have gone back-and-forth over the last 20 years trying to figure out the best way to start my seeds. It's been a long time but I finally figured out the best way for me to start my seeds.

I start the seeds in little empty yogurt cups ful of ff soil. Obviously with drainholes at the bottom and a clear dome on top. Then i plant the seedlings once they're big enough into 3 gallon pots of soil.
Every time i've tried to sprout seeds in a glass of water they just turned to mush And never sprouted. Maybe once or twice i got some to sprout. This little tiny Y cup with a dome is now gunna be the way i sprout all my seeds. 😁 Happy growing everyone.
20240620_121030.jpg

OleReynard

Sounds like water to warm and your cooking them.
I leave beans in the watwr till the cots are full then I plant
Mine go to the back of the fridge on top

mr.brunch

Veteran
I fill small pots with compost, put the seeds on top and water gently with a few teaspoons of water- just a trickle.
Then I add a sprinkle of fresh soil from the bag to cover, and put them in a plastic bag on top of the kitchen cupboard… normally all up within 3 days 👍

goingrey

Overnight in a cup of water. I use a combination of tap water and boiled tap water, I forget why. After the night push the seed down with my finger, if it sinks - directly into final grow media (no paper towels), if it floats - keep it in the cup for a while longer. Latest attempt had 5/6 success rate.

Last edited:

CaptainLucky

Soak in 1 parts peroxide 10 parts water for a hour. Place in paper towel and fold then moisten paper towel with peroxide solution. Put towel in ziplock bag and into a dark warm place. Beans 🫘 always popped. CL🍀

linde

Yes only soak the seeds in water for 48 hrs max. Fresh healthy seeds will sprout by then. If not sprouted by then I will move the moist paper towel between 2 plate method. Old seeds need h202, carbonated water and 85+ degree temps to sprout good. I never put seeds directly into soil I like to see tails first.

terry the trich

I usually just scatter a few seeds around on the surface in the big tub of terra preta style soil in my 12/12 from seed grow cupboard. They are seeds from where I sometimes let a male or males pollenate the females. For bought seeds I just use a small pot with compost and poke the seed just beneath the surface about a centimetre.

CaptainLucky

Yes only soak the seeds in water for 48 hrs max. Fresh healthy seeds will sprout by then. If not sprouted by then I will move the moist paper towel between 2 plate method. Old seeds need h202, carbonated water and 85+ degree temps to sprout good. I never put seeds directly into soil I like to see tails first.
I put them directly into jiffy plugs after they pop. Then jiffy plugs in solos after they sprout. CL🍀

el mani

Veteran
In my case, directly to the seedbed, a half-centimeter hole and water gently.
If a good level of humidity and temperature is maintained, it doesn't fail me.
I have killed countless plants due to poor handling, unintentionally.
When they are already manipulable, with two or three knots I take them out of the seedbed and into their place.

LG/

Party cup, soak in water 24 hrs or so... then move to moist folded paper towel in plastic storage container- sandwich size.

Snook

Still Learning
Ina shot glass with tap water: until it/they 'crack' the shell (most times, less than a day to 3-4 days).. no tap root yet. I like to know the seed is viable BEFORE it goes into 'the ground/media'.
It used to suck waiting around for sprouts only to find they were duds in the first place : wasted time and effort. Once 'crackage' has occurred then into the 'ground/media'.

Snook

Still Learning
Ina shot glass with tap water: until it/they 'crack' the shell (most times, less than a day to 3-4 days).. no tap root yet. I like to know the seed is viable BEFORE it goes into 'the ground/media'.
It used to suck waiting around for sprouts only to find they were duds in the first place : wasted time and effort. Once 'crackage' has occurred then into the 'ground/media'.
and, yes, very important.. once 'cracked' that edge of the seed is put into it media/soil horizontally with the white edge of the the soon to emerge tap root facing up or horizontally.. let the seed decide how it wants to proceed.

Latest posts

Latest posts