What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

How $45 worth of drugs landed a Baltimore man 20 years in prison

dddaver

Veteran
<header> Gee you think maybe this might be one of the reasons they riot there? No? You think maybe that guy is white? SSDD

How $45 worth of drugs landed a Baltimore man 20 years in prison

Updated by German Lopez on May 8, 2015, 2:10 p.m. ET @germanrlopez [email protected]

</header>
<figure>
136941570.0.0.jpg
<figcaption class="p-caption"> You need more than $5 of marijuana to roll a decent joint, according to one judge. Gilles Mingasson/Getty Images </figcaption> </figure>

Maryland District Judge Askew Gatewood brushed off a prosecutor's request to jail Ronald Hammond for possessing 5.9 grams of marijuana — saying it wasn't even enough pot to "roll you a decent joint" — and ordered the Baltimore man to pay a $100 fine instead. But the case eventually led to a 20-year prison sentence for Hammond.
As the Baltimore Sun's Justin Fenton reported, Hammond was on probation at the time for selling $40 worth of crack cocaine to an undercover officer. Maryland Circuit Judge Lynn Stewart-Mays suspended a 20-year sentence in that case, telling Hammond he would face the full term if he violated his probation in any way.
Related What if Big Marijuana becomes Big Tobacco? Big Marijuana is scary. But not as scary as continuing prohibition.
When Hammond ended up back in court for the paltry amount of marijuana, it wasn't enough to convince a judge to put him in jail. But it turns out — to Hammond's surprise — the crime was enough to violate his probation. As a result, the possession of "$5 worth of weed," as described by Judge Gatewood, triggered the full 20-year sentence.
So $45 worth of drugs landed Hammond 20 years in prison — a turn of events he's now appealing in court.
This case is just another example of how drug policies can stack up to create what seems like an excessive sentence. In another case, mandatory minimum sentences, which require a certain number of years in prison for drug crimes, forced a Utah judge to give a man a 55-year sentence for selling marijuana while in possession of a firearm — a sentence the judge now says he regrets.
The public and experts don't want harsh drug sentences

<figure class="e-image">
97327570.0.jpg
</figure> Crack cocaine vials. (Misha Erwitt/NY Daily News Archive via Getty Images)
The long sentences are sharply out of line with public opinion. Various surveys — from Gallup and the Pew Research Center — have found a majority of the public supports legalizing marijuana. A 2014 Pew survey found nearly two-thirds of Americans agree that states should move away from mandatory minimum sentences, which can be very harsh, for nonviolent drug crimes, and more than two-thirds said drug policy should focus on providing treatment over prosecuting drug users.
Experts and research also suggest these types of sentences are far too long. Studies show that mass incarceration hasn't reduced crime much, if at all. Surveys have found that drug use has trended up since the early 1990s despite harsher prison sentences. And experts are increasingly backing reforms like California's Proposition 47, which reduces all simple drug possession — even for heroin and cocaine — to a non-felony to help reduce America's huge incarcerated population, which is the largest in the world.
<q class="right">"We can't arrest our way out of the problem"</q>
The White House's Office of National Drug Control Policy has similarly taken some steps to put greater focus on rehabilitation instead of the criminal justice system to combat drug abuse. "We can't arrest our way out of the problem," Michael Botticelli, director of ONDCP, told me last year, "and we really need to focus our attention on proven public health strategies to make a significant difference as it relates to drug use and consequences to that in the United States."
But local and state governments haven't fully caught on to public or expert opinion — or even to the White House's relaxed approach. And for people like Hammond, that results in a 20-year sentence for $45 worth of drugs.

Watch: Why alcohol is more dangerous than marijuana

Was this article helpful?

<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="19.3 54.3 26.9 33.7" class="m-feedback-prompt__button--svg yes" data-svg-fallback="/v/vox/scripts/../images/icon_thumb.png" data-svg-fallback-override="" width="100" height="100">
</path></svg>
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="19.3 54.3 26.9 33.7" class="m-feedback-prompt__button--svg no" data-svg-fallback="/v/vox/scripts/../images/icon_thumb.png" data-svg-fallback-override="" width="100" height="100">
</path></svg>

Next Up

Most Read

1. 1 How $45 worth of drugs landed a Baltimore man 20 years in prison
  2. 2 How does the federal government classify marijuana?
  3. 3 Read the horrifying racist texts that have prompted a probe of San Francisco police
  4. 4 The Baltimore protests over Freddie Gray’s death, explained
  5. 5 Memo to Twitter trolls: Do not fuck with J. K. Rowling

Get Vox in your inbox!

<input class="p-email-form__input" id="email" name="email" placeholder="email address" type="text">

Canada

how could someone not believe if a judge says this is a 20 year sentence if you break the law again and then leave and break the law. How long after his crack charge was it when he got arrested with the marijuana ?

mowood3479

Veteran
Judges are always telling people this is their last chance... And if U've heard that from a judge before and the drug trade is the only viable economic engine in ur neighborhood... Sometimes people just do what they gotta do to feed themselves and there family.
No judgment from me. I think drugs should be legal

dddaver

Veteran
how could someone not believe if a judge says this is a 20 year sentence if you break the law again and then leave and break the law. How long after his crack charge was it when he got arrested with the marijuana ?

To me, the story is about the punishment not commiserate with the crime. How is serving 20 years going to do anything but teach him how to be a better criminal? Maybe worse now? Who is helped here?

Maybe he is a screw-up and may need help but wouldn't counseling possibly have a greater chance of working for him and his family that feeding this 'for profit' failing jail system?

This to me is just another reason why the people of Baltimore are fed up.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran

But there in lies the reality of why the judge is the criminal.

If someone is willing to risk 20 years to get high they have a addiction issue, which is a reflection of a mental health issue.

With that logic why not just euthanize drug users , especially the ones who use because of mental health issues?

People with mental health issues that are diagnosed have the same privileges as the handicapped when it comes to rights.

Poor people don't get diagnosed they get imprisoned, especially if they are minorities.

Fucking gross

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
First of all this is wrong, but gee wizz, if this guy thought smoking herb was worth a possible 20 years in prison, don't you respect his right to take the chance and see what happens? He is the one that took the risk, he could of moved to Colorado, he could of done many different things, but he chose to take the chance and lost the bet. I do not support these kind of laws, they do not work, they do not help anyone, and they are bullshit, but that said if it was me, like when I was in China or Malaysia I would be thinking about what could happen if caught, and is it worth it? Only you can decide, and pay the price if you are wrong. That does not make the laws correct but they are there you can choose to ignore them at your own risk, do not be surprised when the shit hits the fan and you scream it is not fair. 20 years is wrong, so is the mindset that this guy could somehow avoid 20 years with another drug conviction, he was an idiot, I do feel sorry for him, and the other billions of idiots on our planet, but they do need to realize that it is their choices that put them where they ended up. He could of moved to Colorado if Cannabis was so important to him. I moved to the Netherlands to be able to legally work with Cannabis, I could of stayed somewhere with harsher laws and cried if/when I got caught, but I did not, I left. People need to face reality and make better decisions until the laws can be made more just for all. Sure I am ashamed to be an American, both for the stupid decisions our leaders make and the stupid decisions that all people seem to make.
Wise up folks, and don't do the crime if you can't do the time, just help change the laws.
-SamS

hermdog

Basically a form of victim blaming there, Sam.
How can you say both the law and victims of these draconian laws are stupid?
If America were truly free we'd be able to take control of our own body and our own consciousness, and not have a nanny state telling us what drugs are sanctioned and which will take your freedom away if you're caught with them.
No one sells crack cocaine as a hobby, that's someone on rock bottom that has few other options to get by.
Same as the users of drugs, just human beings getting by how they see fit.

Like African Americans stuck in the ghetto can just up and move across the country where it's safer to smoke pot, get real.
This whole damn system revolves around keeping the poor right where they are, in runned down neighborhoods and prisons.
And that goes for the rest of Americans who either enjoy cannabis, or use it for illness, none of us should have to uproot our lives to run off to one of the legal states.
The entire drug war is a sham and a war on the American people.
Drug abuse is a mental health issue, and all along we've been force fed, "Just say no." and "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

It's more like, if you're a minority in this country the system is set that you're disadvantaged from birth.
A quarter of a man's lifetime in a cage for a joint and some of the cocaine the DEA helped distribute into his neighborhood.

It's a fact that our federal agencies work with the cartels, if giving inhumane sentences to minorities that end up using and distributing these drugs isn't the new form of slavery, tell me I'm wrong.
Our government knows exactly what it's doing, taking advantage of those no one will fight for, the poor and the minorities.

JointOperation

they always put a BULLSHIT TITLE. its not like 45$ worth of drugs.. with NO RECORD would get you 20 years.. but being a thug piece of shit selling crack and shooting people. I see this as.. well.. looks like that murder he committed 5 years ago lol just got his karma back to were it needed to be!

seriously. I have NO SYMPATHY FOR THUGS AND GANG MEMBERS. all of them. should be executed.. they are 80% of the problem in this country.

its not like people in this country.. with NO RECORD.. getting caught for weed are doing time. unless its a federal case and maybe trafficking. or your a complete moron.

dddaver

Veteran
Valid points all. And I totally agree about that sensationalist, misleading headlines. It seems every news headline is just this 'CLICK ME' attitude, sometimes having very little to do with what the article is even about.

But my thing, irregardless of the circumstance or his history, NO ONE, anywhere, should ever go to jail because of using something that grows naturally and has not been at all processsed. Individual, specific items may occur, but overall, that is my point. As it stands now, that is exactly the blanket attitude of justice in the US.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
mandatory minimums undermine the whole idea of having a judge ...yeehaw.. I know a few folks serving long sentances over stupid bullshit drug charges

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Basically a form of victim blaming there, Sam.

Even victims have responsibility for their actions, they did do what they did to get into problems.

How can you say both the law and victims of these draconian laws are stupid?

Because they are, simple. You agree the laws are stupid, now agree that selling hard drugs is stupid, and you do agree with me, both are stupid.... are you so sure that everyone was a victim, not one was responsible for their actions not even one ever?

If America were truly free we'd be able to take control of our own body and our own consciousness, and not have a nanny state telling us what drugs are sanctioned and which will take your freedom away if you're caught with them.

But America is not free, wise up.

No one sells crack cocaine as a hobby, that's someone on rock bottom that has few other options to get by.
Same as the users of drugs, just human beings getting by how they see fit.

So no one selling hard drugs is ever just trying to buy a new TV or a car? Why do I doubt that? I know it is not true.

Like African Americans stuck in the ghetto can just up and move across the country where it's safer to smoke pot, get real.
This whole damn system revolves around keeping the poor right where they are, in runned down neighborhoods and prisons.
And that goes for the rest of Americans who either enjoy cannabis, or use it for illness, none of us should have to uproot our lives to run off to one of the legal states.

Then don't, and accept what will happen. It is your choice. And anyone can move if they want to enough, it may be hard, but it can be done and is done by people that do care enough to make a change. I am not saying it is easy, but it can be done. Are you saying it has never been done by anyone? It has been, and can be done by many if it is priority number one. Hell, they could hitchhike with several kids, if they had no other way. People are much more resilient and able then you seem to think, if they care enough.

The entire drug war is a sham and a war on the American people.
Drug abuse is a mental health issue, and all along we've been force fed, "Just say no." and "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

You see the world in very simple terms, most of the biggest hard drug distributors I knew did not even take the hard drugs. The users and sellers of hard drugs have many reasons, not just mental heath. If you think it is fine to do the crime, then what can I say? Maybe that you should not be surprised to get the time? You are fighting with the converted, I have not believed in drug laws that just guarantee profit to anyone that sells them for longer then you have been alive, you need to reach the masses that believe in this shit, you are wasting your time preaching to me. Most people on this site agree with you, go find an audience that needs conversion, then you will maybe do some good, you are wasting your time here.

It's more like, if you're a minority in this country the system is set that you're disadvantaged from birth.
A quarter of a man's lifetime in a cage for a joint and some of the cocaine the DEA helped distribute into his neighborhood.

Then stay away from the trap, be aware it is a trap, there is no free lunch, or free drugs, or free money, they all have a price. You can ignore or face the reality.

It's a fact that our federal agencies work with the cartels, if giving inhumane sentences to minorities that end up using and distributing these drugs isn't the new form of slavery, tell me I'm wrong.
Our government knows exactly what it's doing, taking advantage of those no one will fight for, the poor and the minorities.

Aren't you fighting for those no one will fight for? So am I.... So are many more.
They also need to learn to fight for themselves, and make wiser decisions, even if they have few choices.

-SamS

hermdog

I've nothing but respect for you Sam and all the work you've put into the community.
I have a feeling my generation is fed up with the entire system, When you started making your moves and putting your work in it was simply easier to move about the country, the world, to find and make start up money for whatever one might want to pursue.

I put in my vote so my state could have medical and for my city to be decriminalized.
Lucky me, I didn't have to say goodbye to my loved ones over my meds.
The thing is, cannabis is only the most widely used drug in the country, how are the millions of users all supposed to play it smart and leave their homes?

I do not see the world in simple terms, if anything you see the world from your perspective and can't put yourself in the shoes of the millions that have less opportunity in this society.

I simply can't call people stupid for doing exactly what those that write the rules do on a daily bases.
Hard drugs?
Pharma and alcohol kill many times more than heroin or cocaine do.
I'm supposed to tsk tsk the guy selling this shit when doctors across the country are doling out amphetamines and opiates, bringing in trillions to the white people that run the system?

I don't think anyone needs to go through life ducking the system and trying to play by the ever increasingly stringent rules.
Voting sure as hell doesn't change much, here in Michigan us legal folks still got to be on our toes, they'll take your kids away for simply having hash in your possession.
Here I am, flowers only because I have to worry about edibles and extracts.

I don't have the answers on how this country will ever get fixed or move toward being a more fair and free society.
I do know the fight we're putting up isn't strong enough.
In my life time something major will have to happen to unseat those with the money that call all the shots.

You don't have to reply if you don't feel the need to spend the time on it. I can only imagine all the good you've done, I'm not in anyway trying to bad mouth you.
The way I see things, we're are all far too complacent with how we're being treated as citizens, how far do we let it go?