What's new

Horse or cow manure, which is better?

tokinjoe

I've got an opportunity to get manure from a farm I have just gained access to. It has both cows and horses. I've not seen a topic posted on it so I thought I'd pose the question. As the title says, which is better?

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Good question. I haven't used it a whole lot for cannabis but I'd say cow manure gives better results for vegetables. More to the point though, best results would probably be a mixture of both. Just let them compost a bit if they're fresh.

You used to get this stuff called Zoo Poo and it was a mixture of lots of exotic animals' poop...tigers, elephants etc. I heard it was good for keeping animals out of the patch.

G

guest123

from what i can tell they are better as a conditioner than a full on fert ... they improve the soil and bring the worms .. definately worth using ,, but low on nitrogen ..
Cattle Manure (fresh): 0.29/0.25/0.1
Horse Manure (fresh): 0.44/0.35/0.3

i use stronger ferts for hungry plants ....

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Horse manure works great, just use plenty to make up for the low nutrient levels.......

If it's fresh, go with cow manure. Cows have 4 stomachs, when they finish their food it's very digested and WEED FREE. Horses, on the other hand, poop out something that is barely digested, looking a lot like the hay they were fed yesterday, and horse manure is notorious for weeds. But if it's old and rotted, horse manure is great.
Other thing is horse people use a lot of bedding and clean their pens frequently, horse manure is more sawdust (or whatever) than poop. Cow people are more bottom line oriented, use less litter, and tend to clean out pens when they have to. I used to clean mine every year, whether they needed it or not. 99% poop.

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
If the horse manure is hot composted, it should kill most of the weed seeds.......but either works great. I have used mostly cow, Horse, llamma, and Sheep manure for growing my plants through the years.
They are weak in the NPK department, as wally mentioned, so you need to use them in gallon ammounts rather than by the cup like with more potent manures like Chicken manure for example.

Last year I used about 3-6 gallons of llamma manure per cannabis plant, in large ammounts the nitrogen content is where you need it, plus it helps alot to condition the soil, to soften it and help hold moisture and any other fertilisers that may be used.

Last edited:

tokinjoe

I once saw a tomato plant that a lady planted next to her trailor that she lived in. The damn thing had grown up the side on a lattice and over on top of the roof of her home. I've never seen anything like it. She told me she planted it in straight cow shit. Just dropped the plant right on top of it and it grew like crazy. I've never seen anything like it.

G

Just make sure you don't use fresh shit because it could burn your plants. Use dry shit, it should crumble.

jackel

horse manure is better. as stated before, cows have 4 stomachs, this means that all the nutrients from the material is aready absorbed.
but mixing both in a compost mix is good.

SoEx

BACKCOUNTRY said:
If the horse manure is hot composted, it should kill most of the weed seeds.......but either works great. I have used mostly cow, Horse, llamma, and Sheep manure for growing my plants through the years.
They are weak in the NPK department, as wally mentioned, so you need to use them in gallon ammounts rather than by the cup like with more potent manures like Chicken manure for example.

Last year I used about 3-6 gallons of llamma manure per cannabis plant, in large ammounts the nitrogen content is where you need it, plus it helps alot to condition the soil, to soften it and help hold moisture and any other fertilisers that may be used.

Awesome, you've always got so much great information to share :D

I'm planning my first outdoor soon here and I have access to composted horse manure.

I saw your post here ( http://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1213478&postcount=7 ) about how you prepare/feed your sites.

I was thinking about using like .5cu ft. manure, .3cu ft fox farm ocean forest, .3cu ft light warrior as themix that the plants would directly be potted in initially. I was hoping to dig holes about 4cu ft large, adding whatever I need to that soil, then dropping my manure/ocean forest/light warrior mix and the plant into the hole. Is that the general idea, or am I missing something?

Really cool that composted horse manure can be used to help out with this kind of stuff, it's always at the right price (free).

G

Hi tokinjoe,
Ive given up using manure in my compost mix. Many pest and diseases call it home and are tougher than a compost pile. I actually had some little black flies hatch from the base of one of my plants a few years ago. Also, as a farm boy, Ive spent far too much time pumping cattle full of antibiotics and hormones. Its so much its got too come out the other end.

Use the horse manure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts