What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

holding up the branches?

DimeBag65

You will not be forgotten
Veteran
you can put stakes in the ground around plants and run a "grid" of string between your stakes. mmmm steaks... Ok moving on... you can do layers persay up and down the stakes every 6 inches or a foot. you can also wrap the string around the branches you choose to help keep them up during a hard rain or windy night.

Tying up the inside of the plant.... this can be done with snap ties around the branches and one on the stalk, Leave them kind of loose so it give the plant room to move. than you tie the branches to the main stalk making the plant self sustain its weight.

this is not the best representation and i dont have pictures of the snap ties and twine i am using to hold branches down and up right now, i will get one later. but in this picture there were a few braches that looked iffy, so i just used that green gardening tape since its flexable and durable. there was a branch break already at this point and i just used the white "tape" you put around threads that are metal and such... but it escapes me right now... to keep the joint from air since it was almost completely ripped off... and it is doing great now...

anyways... binding your plant from the inside is handy for guerilla growing so its not so obvious. also pinching and twisting your stems when they are pliable will help them form knots to hold up weight.

you can also wrap chicken wire or other wire mesh with bigger gaps inbetween and this will help hold your plants branches up as well.

if you have a tree around or if you run wire or something above the plants you can also hold up branches from above the plants.

im sure there are others but these are the ones that come to mind right now and i need to go hit another bowl and watch some recorded 1000 places to see before you die.....

sooo if that answers?

Peace

crftymofo

thanks for the reply db. I think I am going to go with some chicken wire. 6 feet tall, with 6"x4" holes. Started with 4 foot, but it just isn't tall enough. Things are bushy as all hell. going to be a good year.
Thanks again dimebag.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hi guys,

A lot of guys use the welded metal heavy gage wire & it seems to work pretty well but can get spendy if you have a lot of plants. Chicken wire might be a bit too thin for large plants if you expect wind to any degree. I've been using a plastic plant trellis like the scrog boys use made by hortonova. Attach 2 59'' sections with zipties for an aprox 10' X 10' swatch. Then I throw this over the plants about 2 weeks before the end of stretch (about a week or two from now where I'm at) & let the plant grow through this. Then the plants hold themselves up for the most part with minimal help from bamboo stakes & duct tape :)

Tom

PS http://www.groworganic.com/item_GP953_Hortonova_Trellis_59_x_3280_Roll.html?welcome=T

Last edited:

elkslayer

Listen to the man above.

I actually used the same, however this year I am experimenting and actually doing a scrog with 8X cheeses. I did the above a week back and in roughly 3 weeks more I will add another layer, and gut whats bleow for an indoor scrog style grow. My buddy Kendo did it a few years back and it worked rather well. Cheese just seems like the right strain fro the experiment.

ES