What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Highfidelity's Landrace Love Affair

highfidelity

What's up everybody! I wanted to get this thread started as a place to document my work with landrace strains. I've only just begun growing a little under a year ago but I kinda got hooked lol. I got really excited about landrace strains when I started digging into the lineage of some of my favorite strains and saw just how many fascinating strains there were out there. I quickly found both Khalifa Genetics and Full Power Selections and before you knew it seeds were at my door. My current landrace stash is:

Khalifa
Kerala Chellakutti
Rasol Village
Moroccan Beldia
Filipino Kibungan
Balkh x Skunk Fem
Screenshot_20220410-151232_Instagram.jpg

Full Power
Pink Stigma
Red Baloch
Screenshot_20220410-151247_Instagram.jpg
​​

I took some time before committing to planting any as I didn't want to be wasteful and mess them up when I had plenty of other seeds I wasn't worried about doing my learning on. You can see most of the first runs in my Mars Hydro thread in my bio if you want to check that out.

On to the landrace. recently I decided to pop a Pink Stigma and Red Baloch. Ended up with a female Pink Stigma and male Red Baloch. Flowering out the male to grab some pollen for when I get a female. Considering crossing them together this round for fun but definitely want to get more seeds of each individually. The Red Baloch is on the left. The right is a Casey Jones x Sour Bubble male and the Pink Stigma I don't have a picture of yet.
20220408_130556.jpg

I then moved onto some of the Rasol Village strain from Khalifa and got 6 of those in. These guys are pretty light feeders compared to what I got used to with modern hybrids so I ended up burning the first fan leafs but they seem fine now that I flushed and remixed their feed.
IMG_20220329_174009_869.jpg

20220410_121018.jpg
20220410_121023.jpg

And that brings us to now so feel free to subscribe for updates 🙏

Petrochemical

What's up everybody! I wanted to get this thread started as a place to document my work with landrace strains. I've only just begun growing a little under a year ago but I kinda got hooked lol. I got really excited about landrace strains when I started digging into the lineage of some of my favorite strains and saw just how many fascinating strains there were out there. I quickly found both Khalifa Genetics and Full Power Selections and before you knew it seeds were at my door. My current landrace stash is:

Khalifa
Kerala Chellakutti
Rasol Village
Moroccan Beldia
Filipino Kibungan
Balkh x Skunk Fem

Full Power
Pink Stigma
Red Baloch
​​

I took some time before committing to planting any as I didn't want to be wasteful and mess them up when I had plenty of other seeds I wasn't worried about doing my learning on. You can see most of the first runs in my Mars Hydro thread in my bio if you want to check that out.

On to the landrace. recently I decided to pop a Pink Stigma and Red Baloch. Ended up with a female Pink Stigma and male Red Baloch. Flowering out the male to grab some pollen for when I get a female. Considering crossing them together this round for fun but definitely want to get more seeds of each individually. The Red Baloch is on the left. The right is a Casey Jones x Sour Bubble male and the Pink Stigma I don't have a picture of yet.

I then moved onto some of the Rasol Village strain from Khalifa and got 6 of those in. These guys are pretty light feeders compared to what I got used to with modern hybrids so I ended up burning the first fan leafs but they seem fine now that I flushed and remixed their feed.

And that brings us to now so feel free to subscribe for updates 🙏

Awesome and thanks
my chair is warm

44:86N

Decided to cull the little runt at the top. The one below is the biggest and the others are between the two in size.

View attachment 18122925
hmmm. just want to throw in here it's best not to cull anything until you see how it expresses in the flowering stage. at the moment, i'm running some Friesland Indicas. my #1 plant (1st to sprout) is the most vigorous and is a mouth watering mama. can't wait. but, the 2 most wimpy plants are turning out very interesting. 1, has some looser flowers and is the least resinous, but has the strongest smell. very pungent. the other is a stout plant with some very interesting flower structure. can't wait to trim and cure this one. so i got a keeper for sure from both ends of the spectrum. you just never know.

highfidelity

hmmm. just want to throw in here it's best not to cull anything until you see how it expresses in the flowering stage. at the moment, i'm running some Friesland Indicas. my #1 plant (1st to sprout) is the most vigorous and is a mouth watering mama. can't wait. but, the 2 most wimpy plants are turning out very interesting. 1, has some looser flowers and is the least resinous, but has the strongest smell. very pungent. the other is a stout plant with some very interesting flower structure. can't wait to trim and cure this one. so i got a keeper for sure from both ends of the spectrum. you just never know.

You're right you never know. I just have only so many plants I have space for so I made the decision to select for vigor from the start and go from there looking for a winner. Maybe I'll miss out on a terpy straggler but there's always another hunt down the line.

highfidelity

Pink Stigma male starting to develop
20220422_175012.jpg

And the Red Baloch alongside it.
20220422_174939.jpg

Theyre both doing great and I'm guessing another week or so for the first sacs to start opening up.

Pretty sure I have a female from one of the Rasols. It's the one in the center. No stigma yet but does look like a calyx forming. The rest have no sign of preflowers so I wonder if the center one will flower shorter than the rest since it's reaching maturity sooner.
20220419_101946.jpg

highfidelity

20220424_120748.jpg

I knew I saw some calyxes on the pink stigma plant before it went male. What's a herm male produce for seeds? Is it the opposite of the feminized process so only males come out of it? If that is actually the case then is the pollen worth even using or is it just the seeds produced by selfing it with the herm calyxes.

Ringodoggie

It's been my experience that hermie seeds will produce females or hermies. I also noticed that with each generation there would be more hermies and more seeds in each plant. I grew the same Columbian Sativa from 1971 until about 1990 and the only way I was able to do that (besides cloning) was via the hermies.

Back in the 70's I had never heard of feminized seeds and never ever bought from a seed bank. So, when you get a good one, you want to keep it. I used to love hermies and felt super lucky when I got them. LOL

Things sure do change over time. LOL

highfidelity

It's been my experience that hermie seeds will produce females or hermies. I also noticed that with each generation there would be more hermies and more seeds in each plant. I grew the same Columbian Sativa from 1971 until about 1990 and the only way I was able to do that (besides cloning) was via the hermies.

Back in the 70's I had never heard of feminized seeds and never ever bought from a seed bank. So, when you get a good one, you want to keep it. I used to love hermies and felt super lucky when I got them. LOL

Things sure do change over time. LOL
Yea that seems to be the consensus is a higher rate of herms. I may keep a little bit of the pollen just in case I don't get another male to work with but not trying to start introducing herm risk into future projects.

44:86N

Simply in the spirit of exploring and preserving these wonderful genetics, perhaps sparking an interest in some reader of this very cool thread.....

These days, with the advent of Rosin Presses, that do seem to add a little bit of uh-huh and a whole lot of oh-yeah to the Sativa leaning varieties, at least in my limited experience (though TRSC describes Nanda Devi being a better hash plant than a flower plant), these days, with bubble bags, there may be some worth in re-exploring some of the varieties prone to being herms, despite the need to avoid spoiling other projects.

Back in the mid to late 80's, a lot of the good bags seed stuff that I started all hermed, and some of that stuff I still remember almost 40 years later.

Under the right grow parameters, an inspired grower might produce something really outstanding and noteworthy.

highfidelity

Simply in the spirit of exploring and preserving these wonderful genetics, perhaps sparking an interest in some reader of this very cool thread.....

These days, with the advent of Rosin Presses, that do seem to add a little bit of uh-huh and a whole lot of oh-yeah to the Sativa leaning varieties, at least in my limited experience (though TRSC describes Nanda Devi being a better hash plant than a flower plant), these days, with bubble bags, there may be some worth in re-exploring some of the varieties prone to being herms, despite the need to avoid spoiling other projects.

Back in the mid to late 80's, a lot of the good bags seed stuff that I started all hermed, and some of that stuff I still remember almost 40 years later.

Under the right grow parameters, an inspired grower might produce something really outstanding and noteworthy.
Yea I did save enough pollen to be able to work with it if I'd like. Storing a small vial is no stress so I figured why not really collect it. Got probably a 1/2tsp and diluted down with flour at 10:1 and now it's stored in the freezer.

Latest posts

Latest posts