What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Growth or precipitation?

yamrvi3

Hello All,

I have some substance occurring in my SIP (octopot). Running sunshine #4 with extra perlite, jack's 3-2-1 and h2o2 or bleach to sterilize.

Below is a photo of the galvanized steel fencing that is used as the pot structure, and you can see some white/yellow substance. Does this look like typical growth or some sort of chemical precipitation from the zinc involved with the galvanizing process? I assume growth of some sort.

2024-09-10 11.10.24.jpg

Thoughts?

-YV

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hello All,

I have some substance occurring in my SIP (octopot). Running sunshine #4 with extra perlite, jack's 3-2-1 and h2o2 or bleach to sterilize.

Below is a photo of the galvanized steel fencing that is used as the pot structure, and you can see some white/yellow substance. Does this look like typical growth or some sort of chemical precipitation from the zinc involved with the galvanizing process? I assume growth of some sort.

View attachment 19064206

Thoughts?

-YV
That's probably just excess salts reacting with the metal from the discharge. One of the problems with putting pots on sidewalks is the discharge can stain the concrete. Sometimes the stains are permanent so one has to be careful with plants around pools.

Dime

I dunno what that is on the bottom ,maybe a reaction with the cement but the white and red on the steel is rust

Attachments

• image-5447616.jpg
    image-5447616.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 11