What's new

"Growing in the Desert "First time outdoor grow with Photoperiod plants i need help

Riviera123

Just leave the plants alone and they'll finish about June 1st. You'll have to take them then no matter what as summer will be here.

Start fresh Photoperiod plants now. May 1st is the ideal date as seedlings are not light aware for the first 30 days and by then the days are long enough to hold cannabis in veg.

For most of the northern hemisphere only June and July have long enough days to veg in. If you are in a freeze free zone you can grow year-round with a little effort and planning.

August 1st = Take clones
Oct 15th = Harvest, set out fresh plants, take clones
Jan 1st = Same
March 15th = Same
June 1st = Harvest, set out plants for summer.

I've run this for many years. Depending on mid-summer desert temps you may find you do better skipping the blast furnace heat as my friend who grows in Joshua Tree Ca. found out. He runs the 3 off season sets and doesn't try and keep plants through the worst of the heat. He grows on a deck and the reflected heat is just too much.

View attachment 18992555

I've got plants in veg under lights and just 30 feet away are the plants in flower.
Thanks much for tips. It gets a bit confusing to me with the autflowers .So photo or autos will go to flower automatically June and July, supplemental light could change that? . I tried using black garbage bags covering 12 hours a day and burnt 🔥 my buds. Did I mention I'm a total green ass rookie with outdoor growing

BrassNwood

Veteran
Thanks much for tips. It gets a bit confusing to me with the autflowers .So photo or autos will go to flower automatically June and July, supplemental light could change that? . I tried using black garbage bags covering 12 hours a day and burnt 🔥 my buds. Did I mention I'm a total green ass rookie with outdoor growing

Autoflowers have a built-in clock and do their thing no matter what the light is doing.

Photoperiods are light dependent and will veg June and July and start to show flowers mid August.

Riviera123

Ok I got it finally lol . Just a hunch has anyone actually had plants revert to veg after being near the later end of flower outdoors or indoors. I have some plants outside in very late flower that seem to keep flowering even tho the daylight hours are 13 . I have had many indoor grow tents with lots of light leaks and they never did the re veg thing. How would reveg appear? Has anyone made a cheat sheet chart for light cycles. So once light in June and July kicks in can flowering be initiated by covering the plants with something to block light. Not that I would I burnt the shit out of my plants with black garbage bags.
Thanks again for the support 😁

Energy Turtle

The new growth will grow from the flower tips.

You can leave some sucker buds on them and regrow your favorite plants and keep a clone.

stiff

Veteran
I just took this picture the other day waiting for my plant to reveg..Here's the first sign of it.
Screenshot_20240426_211546_Gallery.jpg

Old Piney

I agree with @brassNorwood but I'm not in the tropics in a desert. I will say with confidence that if you start from seed outside you got no worries with photoperiods, if you're into them try some equatorial sativas like Thai , lao etc. , but any thing should work IMO photoperiods got it over autos

Riviera123

Ok I'm calling it , after review and help from Stuff I have concluded my plants are in re-veg state of being outdoors.
New green leafs growing right thru fat buds.
Why did they reveg during flower ?
I have a outdoor security light near plants , but just a hunch .
Very hot here soon 110 to 120 most days and I have to be out of town couple times . Plants are in coco with 7 gallon white fabric pots , brand is Dirt Pots. using a 55 gallon heavy duty trash can as resivor placed under a shady dense orange treeGoing to put the plants in a little bit east direction

stiff

Veteran
How many hours of light do they get?
From first light to darkness i mean..not sunrise to sunset

Riviera123

The plants were getting about 12 hours facing south .
They are really starting to veg out now. This was a good learning curve for me . I have had people tell me it doesn't work in my area and others say it's a great place to grow in the desert . Maybe covering them up caused it