What's new

grow room power

scratchgrow876

i want to design a 240v 30 amp circuit for a room i have because the house is wired with 15 amp 120/240v outlets.i want to know if i can put 2 1000w lights 8.4 amp total,T5 grow light .5 amp,2 inline fans 2 amps total and 2 ventilation fans 5 amps total on this new circuitt i want to build.so i have a total of 15.9 amps/16 amps on this circuit.is it safe to run all these appliances on the circuit without worries since it would be a 30 amp rated?

please and thank you

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yes, as long as you keep the amp draw at or under 80% of the circuits rating for continuous duty use. The trick will be getting both 240v and 120v output from a 240v source. If you're good with wiring you can do it, if you don't know how I won't tell you. ;)

Pinetar

You will be safe with 16 amps on a 30 amp circut. In growroom design area the sticky for "growroom electrical and wiring" has some good tip and pics to explain. If you don't understand please get professional help, peace of mind on electrical installations is priceless

jimbo9414

hi...retired electrician here....I would run a 10-3 (2 hots, neutral and a ground) wire to a sub panel feed by a two pole 30 amp breaker..out of that you can run circuits for 220v or 110v..sub panels need to have the neutral bar isolated from the ground bar ( not bonded)...if ya need any help..let me know

rykus

I would pull 2/4 120 outlets from each side of the line in and try and be mindful of higher load items to spread draw as evenly as possible between the 2 hots.

Bwanabud

hi...retired electrician here....I would run a 10-3 (2 hots, neutral and a ground) wire to a sub panel feed by a two pole 30 amp breaker..out of that you can run circuits for 220v or 110v..sub panels need to have the neutral bar isolated from the ground bar ( not bonded)...if ya need any help..let me know

Almost all transformers have switched residential power over to 110/220...generally 208v.

Agree with this, and don't think the neutral & common are the same thing..they aren't. Be safe, growing isn't worth dying over.