What's new

Greenhouse misting system

Ancient Old Far

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello Everyone
I have a small 10' x 11' ft greenhouse. This is my first attempt at growing in a Greenhouse. I live in the S.E. US in a very hot and humid climate. The temp is already over a 100 deg F. I have a misting system in place and the mist is more like a drizzle than a mist that evaporates quickly. I realize that misting systems don't work as well in humid climates. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a better system. Thanks in advance.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Make sure you use a black shade clothe Sun Screen on the top and hottest side.
You would do good to get yourself a greenhouse water-cooled swamp cooler. They work very well and are worth the money. Shop for the best price.

Stainless Steel Evap System for 4" Pads​

Ca++

If I were to think shade, I might look at IR window film. Loose the heat, but keep at least some of the light.
Why house them at all though.
Need a really wack idea to keep you busy? put the drizzler outside. Cool the glass with it.

Does IR pass though glass, or not. No search is really answering the question. Thermal imaging cameras don't seem to see through windows, but instead see the window. I once read the IR does not pass, but rather heats the glass, with gives off IR. If you put your hand under a HID then slip some glass over it, the IR does stop. However, just for a moment. That's the best science I have on the matter. I made a water cooled light, and it wasn't 'all that' so it's conflicting. I reckon cooling the glass might be of use though. A garden sprinkler would soon answer the question.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I've been growing in a greenhouse for several years now. Ventilation, Ventilation, Ventilation and some more Ventilation. Cannabis can take the heat as long as it can transpire properly. Plenty of water, the largest pots or beds possible for water retention. Leave your sides down and move air through the top on two opposing ends. Enjoy the grow.
Peace farmerlion
20220813_151406.jpg

St. Phatty

I've been growing in a greenhouse for several years now. Ventilation, Ventilation, Ventilation and some more Ventilation. Cannabis can take the heat as long as it can transpire properly. Plenty of water, the largest pots or beds possible for water retention. Leave your sides down and move air through the top on two opposing ends. Enjoy the grow.
Peace farmerlion
View attachment 18851135

There was a picture recently of a grow-op with 12 greenhouses that were Persecuted by local "authorities".

I wondered - why do they use greenhouses if they have good sun ?

It didn't look like they had light deprivation screens.

I would use Oscillating fans, in addition to through ventilation with input and output fans.

Everything to simulate outdoor ventilation.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Hello Everyone
I have a small 10' x 11' ft greenhouse. This is my first attempt at growing in a Greenhouse. I live in the S.E. US in a very hot and humid climate. The temp is already over a 100 deg F. I have a misting system in place and the mist is more like a drizzle than a mist that evaporates quickly. I realize that misting systems don't work as well in humid climates. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a better system. Thanks in advance.
Ventilation, Ventilation, Ventilation to start with. Time is the biggest obstacle, I hand water and mist in my greenhouse.
Mine is a 12"w x 20'l x 10' walls This is only my opinion and reasoning, do what you will. Unless you are a huge commercial grower and even then I would scale back automation.
Anything that is automated gets neglected and taken for granted. My watering is when I check my soil condition (texture, smell, visual) When I'm misting is when you look at each node, leaf bracts in general, meristems and branches. You are looking for anything new, such as bites, areas of chewing insects and pests themselves.

Look closely at new growth as its easier and softer material to digest for most pests. The single drawback of greenhouses is the film restricts natural UV light somewhat and plants can become UV deficient and growers start chasing a bunch of scenarios that are not the problem.

UV deficiency is visible in premature yellowing of leaves. The amount of chlorophyll produced drops when the plants go into flowering . When you're UV deficient it gets compounded. Raising nitrogen levels while most growers are over feeding Potassium at the same time stunts flowering.

Be careful defoliating at this time as your plant is moving chlorophyll to upper leaves and bud sites. (Wilting yellow leaves need removed). Yellowing leaves that are getting (orange, red, blueish burgundy or purple colors) need to be left on the plant. These are hormones that cause beautiful phenotypic expressions. The yellow and orange are from carotenoid. The Anthocyanins create the red and purple colors. Reds lean towards acidic soils and purples occur when the soil is slightly alkaline. The Blueish purple is a combination of strong chlorophyll very dark green with the influence of anthocyanins.

Sorry when get on UV's I feel compelled to explain the whole process, I feel it makes it easier to understand and visualize.

For my environmental conditions I get direct sunlight through my door at about 900am. I try to do work at this time so more direct sunlight gets into my greenhouse through the door opening. I hope I didn't make something simple confusing.
Peace farmerlion
20230702_190437.jpg
20230702_141619.jpg
20230704_094338.jpg

Ancient Old Far

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Farmer Lion
I appreciate you taking the time to educate me.
My experience in growing was to find a spot in the forest, sow seeds and visit them once a week (so hot and humid). In the summer you had to carry water to them. For many years I used Mexican and Columbian seeds. It was good smoke. Today it's a whole new ballgame and I'm playing catch up. I have read all the replies and as a result I have rolled up the sides of the canopy. I have two fans blowing 24/7. I removed the misting system. I have installed a irrigation system but am not using it now. Too many plants in different stages of growth in different size pots. Won't happen next time. I spend time in the morning with the plants. I find leaf hoppers and an occasional caterpillar. I bought some captains jacks dead bug and applied it once. I moved a few plants outside and they seemed to take off. Feeding them a tea once a week. Not going to push them. I will have a new greenhouse next spring
, The current one is 10' x 11, but it is only 7' in height. I like Sativa, so I think I need more height.
I can't believe I finally doing this after so many years. I'm fortunate in that I found this site again and all the people who have offered advice and guidance. I'm enjoying myself.

Attachments

• PXL_20230705_161958986.jpg
    PXL_20230705_161958986.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20230705_161943642.jpg
    PXL_20230705_161943642.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 55