What's new

Greenhouse for beginners (me) in Thailand

Smeden

Sawasdee Krub

Been living in Thailand the last 10 years. Legalization was unexpected, but very welcome.

I have never grown cannabis outdoors before, but wanted to give it a try since the sun is very strong + close to 12/12h year-around.
So I ordered 3 greenhouses of 2x3m and first grow was with 32 plants (Amnesia Lemon Haze, AK47, Wild Thailand, Ghost Train Haze, Durban Poison and Pink Kush).
A single 18" floor fan was not enough and mid-day temp in each GH was up to 50C.
Along came the Borg (2 spotted spider mites). First grow was heavily infected from flower week 5 + the Durban Poison hermied and pollinated 1 of 3 GHs.

Current grow is flowering day 12. 14 plants in 28L-48L airpots per GH = 42 plants in total.
Mounted 2 x 16" oscillating fans on the rear walls + 6" extraction fan = app 130W per GH.
Max temperature is now 40-41C and the plants are happier (maybe mainly because of being pest free).
Maybe the tiny dust layer on each GH is helping?
Genetics: Royal Gorilla, Amnesia Lemon Haze, Pink Kush, MAC1, AK47, Wild Thailand, Ghost Train Haze.

The genetics are clones from indoor grow (hybrids), but most of them are doing quite well outside in the GHs (I think).
1680951942650.png

Many things to try, test and learn. Please feel free to chime in with any advice you have.
In the future I will target genetics with more Thai, but until now all local seeds and plants I have tried made pollen and was a waste of my time.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Wow, you have a pretty setup friend. I hope you have a good season. It seems to me using hybrids will open you up to a few problems. Those hybrid plants are not acclimated to that region and will be vulnerable to bug attacks and crazy temperatures. If you use the local strains that are already used to the area you shouldn't have as many problems as in your last grow. Putting desert plants in a tropical environment is asking for problems. I hope I'm wrong and you have a really super harvest. Either way, keep us posted and thanks for sharing your work.

Smeden

@Creeperpark thanks mate, it is such a joy being pest free (for now).
I fully agree hybrids are not the obvious choice, but I usually take to many clones and having a hard time binning new plants. Also all local Thai genetics I have tried have turned in to ladyboys + not produced any special high or potent flower.

Amnesia Lemon Haze, Ghost Train Haze and Wild Thailand are thriving, where I can see the other hybrids being less happy.

Funny observation: Wild Thailand indoor grew with a hybrid/Indica leaf structure and I was disappointed since they are sold as 100% Sativa. The 3 phenos I have kept and growing in the GHs - all grow very Sativa'ish now with long thin leaf's.

Quite happy with adding the extraction fan and 2 oscillating fans per GH. Right now we have 35C in the shadow, but the lower area (soil/pot zone) is only 39C in the GHs. Big difference from touching 50C before extraction fan.

Corrections for next grow:
1. 18/6h VEG instead of 24/0h VEG. I was fighting Spider mites and did not want the plants to stretch too much. I would like the internode spacing to be bigger than it is now = more air can move around the flowers.
2. I topped these plants to keep them low = the bud sites will become too heavy on week 6-7 and either I need to start a yoyo nightmare or add a lot of sticks to each pot.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hey smeden ,
we have already talked im sure via pm,
i hope you are doing well man and things are working out for you in the grow ??

correct wild thailand , there isnt much wild or thai about it , haha ,
but i did toke a little with gypsy when i was there last year ,
and the high is of the more sativa side i noted ,
but the buds dont resemble any thai ive seen before ....

i probably already said , but hybrids are fine ,
just depends what you grow and when you grow it ,
better to steer towards the sativa dominant ones ,
im sure places like ace have a few that would suit you well ,
and of course haze hybrids would do quite well ,
you just need to avoid the super humid , monsoonal times of the year ,

its like that where i am now , super hot , wet and humid,
one just has to think about doing something to break out into a sweat ,, lol ..
the night time bugs come in swarms , and it sounds like a frog has made a home in the house somewhere ,,
ive had them in the bathroom before , one spent a whole year in there he liked it so much ,
i also spotted a crab swimming around in a bit of water near where i keep my stash ,
im at 3000 ft and a hundred km from the coast , id heard there may be crabs here ,
but this was the first id seen ,
but i know they are common about the inland areas of thailand , so why not australia i guess .

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
oh btw ,, holding the buds up can be done just by making a circular column-like structure from some wire that has larger holes ,, it will stand on its own and u can then lean or tie the buds to it without having to use heaps of sticks or tying to the above green house structure ...
i use 1.2 metre dog wire here , it has large square holes and stands up easily on its own once u join it together in a column like fashion u can make it to fit around your pots quite easily which would help it stay upright easy too ...
you may have already considered this , so its just an idea in case you didnt ..

Old Piney

Your plants look good , but I'm wondering why the greenhouse why not just grow outside? is it the monsoon rain? You're having problems with spider mites and heat. Spider mites love dry heat and hate wet. its common in greenhouse growing to have the bottom sides removed during hot weather, this would work good during flowering to protect from the rain, but not get so hot .just my two cents but again they look good !