What's new

great recipe for first time brewer

HotCha

this is adapted from a recipe in "the new complete joy of homebrewing" by charlie papazian. he called it "rightous real ale," my version is a little more interesting and hoppy.

6 lbs. dry amber malt extract
1 lb. crystal malt
1.5 oz. cascade hops (bitter)
0.5 oz. kent goldings hops (flavor)
0.5 oz. kent glodings hops (aroma)
wyeast 1968 special london yeast or other quality ale yeast
1/2 cup malt extract (for bottling)

-so grind your crystal malt and steep it in 2.5 gallons of water for 30 minutes @ 150F i like to use those mesh bags they have at the homebrew store to hold my grains and hops.

-after steeping your grains, pull them out and bring the water to a boil. add the extract and bring to a boil again.

-once your wort is boiling add your cascade hops and boil for 45 minutes.

-after 45 minutes add your first addition of goldings hops and boil for five minutes.

-after five minutes turn off the heat and add the last of the goldings hops and hold for a minute or so.

-after it's cooled and transfered to the fermenter add your yeast.

-ferment for seven days and then transfer to a secondary fermenter for three days.

-boil your 1/2 cup of extract with a little water and add it to your beer, then bottle it up.

this beer will be good to drink after four days in the bottle and will be exceptional after ten days.

G

Right on, I have brewed a similar recipe and have had very good results.
I would like to see more people brewing their own beer, it keeps more money in your pocket and less money going to the big beer corporations.

Doing for yourself what it's all about. :friends: :yes:

G

id love to start brewing my own beer. I think im gonna give this a try soon. Thanks

G

I have no problems answering any questions you may have JayRoach420.
I have been brewing beer since 1988, I may not be an expert (because I am constantly learning more and more) but I will always give it my best shot.

PureSativa420

id like to brew my own beer too just for shits and giggles as it something ive never tried to do, but have a few friends who have brewed some pretty awesome beer, taste, smells good and get you more loaded off fewer :D

G

well just when Im about to brew some beer dankdude isnt here anymore...

you still around Hotcha?

Latest posts

Latest posts