What's new

Gov Brewer Does The Right Thing!

mofeta

Veteran
Check out this article:

Brewer says no to pleas for state to stop issuing medical marijuana cards

Gov. Jan Brewer is rejecting a plea from county attorneys that she order the state health department to stop issuing cards for people to legally obtain marijuana for medical reasons and not to license dispensaries to sell the drug.

~snip~

"I am duty-bound to implement the Arizona Medical Marijuana Act, and my agency will do so unless and until I am instructed otherwise,'' Brewer wrote.

But here is a really interesting quote from the article:

"The federal government is vigorously enforcing the Controlled Substances Act by seizing and closing medical marijuana dispensaries in other states,'' wrote Yavapai County Attorney Sheila Polk on behalf of 13 of the state's 15 county attorneys. And Polk said she has been told -- she does not say by whom -- that John Leonardo, the new U.S. Attorney for Arizona "fully intends to prevent any dispensaries from operating in Arizona by seizing each and every one as it opens and commits violations of the Controlled Substances Act.''

No dispensaries = everyone can grow.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No dispensaries = everyone can grow.

If I recall correctly, the law stipulated that if there wasn't a D within "X" miles, you could grow, correct? Talk about the law of unintended consequences! Probably not exactly what the Feds were intending.

mofeta

Veteran
Hi Rives

Yeah, that is correct. It is a 25 mile radius.

The writers of the voter initiative that became law included that and several other rules that would have insured that their dispensaries would monopolize and control the market.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Hi Rives

Yeah, that is correct. It is a 25 mile radius.

The writers of the voter initiative that became law included that and several other rules that would have insured that their dispensaries would monopolize and control the market.

Or insured that everyone who wanted the right to grow themselves had motive to keep dispensaries out of their neighborhood.

How could someone do that? Maybe call in tips that dispensary was dealing coke? Selling to non med folks?

If that didn't work arson comes to mind...Just sayin, I'm not sure I would want to be the dispensary that took everyone's right to grow away.