What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Gov. Bobby Jindal Denies Clemency to Prisoner Serving 13 Years for Possessing Two Joi

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gov. Bobby Jindal Denies Clemency to Prisoner Serving 13 Years for Possessing Two Joints
Bernard Noble, an individual serving 13 years for possessing two marijuana joints applied for clemency and was recently denied. The reason behind the denial was he had not yet served 10 years in prison. As I said here before in the Huffington Post :
"Bernard's sentence is a prime example of the draconian nature of the marijuana laws in many states across the country. In stark contrast to Louisiana, many states have decriminalized possession of marijuana for personal use, with the offense being punishable by a fine and with no threat of jail time."

This is truly a case of injustice and the vehicle of clemency is totally appropriate here. But for some reason Gov. Jindal and his administration refuses to show compassion and follow the recent lead of President Obama who granted clemency to 22 prisoners this March.
By granting those 22 prisoners their freedom, President Obama displayed his administration's attempt to reduce mass incarceration and roll back mandatory minimum sentencing laws. The clemencies granted were the result of recent improvements in the commutation process by the Justice Department which included a fast tracking program that implemented a stream lining of the application process to prisoners that were eligible under newly set criteria.
Obama sensing the difficulty of the transition from prison to the free world sent each of those granted clemency, a pep talk letter, which outlined a plan for a successful transition. In the letter the president told them they had demonstrated the potential to turn their lives around and it was up to them to make the most of the opportunity. He also pointed out that it would not be easy, and they would encounter many who would doubt people with criminal records could change, but he believed in their ability to prove the doubters wrong.
In writing this letter President Obama might have been trying to give those granted clemency the much needed personal support to overcome the barriers that exist for those who face freedom that is swift and often paralyzing, which leads in many cases, to the road to recidivism. Post prison life, the other side of freedom, is a life which in many ways is even more dramatic and at times arguably harder than life behind bars. If being back on the outside weren't so shocking, trying and dramatic, then certainly the majority of those released wouldn't find themselves back behind bars in three years. According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice reports, about 700,000 state and federal prisoners re-enter society each year. Within three years about 67 percent of those return to prison. The road to recidivism is complex and multileveled. But the first level of stopping the revolving door of recidivism is giving those incarcerated a second chance.
As someone who was sentenced to life in prison for a first time non-violent drug crime I know how important second chances are. In 1997, after serving 12 years I was granted executive clemency by New York Governor George Pataki.
Without a doubt, how these 22 prisoners re-enter and adapt to society will have an important role in determining the future granting of clemency by executives that weld the power to do so. I truly hope that those individuals, who were granted their freedom by President Obama, set a good example upon their release and become productive tax paying citizens.
It is hoped that the granting of clemency to those 22, may now have a positive effect on future gubernatorial pardons and clemencies. But in the case of Bernard Noble it seems that Louisiana's Governor Jindal has chosen not to show the compassion that our President has shown and instead ignores the injustice of Noble's case while he rots away in prison for 13 years for the possession of two joints.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anthony-papa/gov-bobby-jindal-denies-clemency-to-prisoner-serving-13-years-for-possessing-two-joints_b_7606428.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Backround:
13 Years for Two Joints? Louisiana Gov. Jindal Needs to Correct Injustice With Clemency
As a former prisoner who served 12 years of a 15-to-life sentence for a nonviolent drug crime in New York, I know all too well the draconian nature of the war on drugs.
I was lucky enough to be granted executive clemency in 1997. Since my release I have continued to advocate for prisoners who are stuck in prison, sentenced to tremendous amounts of time for small amounts of drugs.
This year, one case in particular stands out and cries for justice -- the case of Bernard Noble who was sentenced to 13.3 years of hard time for the possession of two marijuana cigarettes.
Earlier this year the Drug Policy Alliance tried to help by filing a friend of the court brief in the Louisiana Supreme Court, calling for judicial relief for Bernard Noble.
After Noble's appeal was denied, many are calling on Louisiana's Gov. Bobby Jindal to grant Noble executive clemency.
Bernard's sentence is a prime example of the draconian nature of the marijuana laws in many states across the country. In stark contrast to Louisiana, many states have decriminalized possession of marijuana for personal use, with the offense being punishable by a fine and with no threat of jail time.
Also, four states and the District of Columbia have outright legalized, taxed and regulated the cultivation, sale, possession and use of marijuana by and for adults.
A range of important people are calling for justice for Bernard Noble.
One of them is retired Orleans Parish Criminal Court Judge Calvin Johnson who said, "[t]he mere fact our law is structured such that a defendant can be sentenced to 13.3 years in jail for possession of two marijuana cigarettes speaks volumes about our antiquated sentencing structure. It is imperative that we change the sentencing structure."
Noble's original sentencing judge considered the 13 and a third-year sentence egregious and imposed a sentence of five years of hard labor. But the Orleans Parish District Attorney wasn't satisfied with this punishment and appealed the sentence.
Ultimately, the district attorney sought and obtained a prison term of close to triple the sentence imposed by the original sentencing judge.
Noble has never been convicted of anything more serious than possession of drugs for personal use. Because of two prior low-level, nonviolent drug offenses, Noble fell within Louisiana's Habitual Offender Statute, which brings his sentence for his marijuana possession offense to thirteen and one-third years and has deprived him of the opportunity for earlier release on parole.
To be sentenced under unjust laws to a tremendous amount of time is unconscionable. I know because it happened to me. This holiday season, Bernard Nobel's family will be praying that Governor Jindal will show some compassion and grant Bernard executive clemency so he can be reunited with his family. It is surely the right thing to do.
<!-- Follow Twitter Author --> Follow Anthony Papa on Twitter: www.twitter.com/AnthonyPapa
<!-- Follow Tag Links Bottom --> More:

Clemency Governor Jindal Bernard Nobel Pardons Prisons Injustice
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anthony-papa/13-years-for-two-joints-l_b_6328006.html

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
bunch of bullshit...habitual and three strikes was supposed to be for serious stuff/crimes...they have abuse their own law....land of the free my ass...we got more people in jail than any other country..even those evil commy ones lol...yeehaw

waveguide

Veteran
check to make sure he's alone, and lob a brick through his windshield on a steep turn please.

someone needs to put that fucker intimately in touch with the receiving end of extreme cruelty.