What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Good USB Microscope ?

i have that thing...it's pretty tight. i like it a lot. but i haven't tried any other usb microscopes though, so i don't have anything to compare it too. but it takes pretty good pics and video.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
I've got that one and it's great, I wish it had a higher amount of pixels though. Here's a few shots from mine...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Macro shots from high quality camera's and lenses are hard to beat, knocks the USB Microscopes out of the water but the microscopes are still very cool and handy come harvest time for unfamiliar strains.

HGO

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Check the ebay listings according to price. You might find one cheaper.

this one looks pretty cool and isn't much more $$$ - only 130x though:) I've read other posts that say they don't use the 400x setting (too hard to position unless you take a cutting.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CARSON-USB-...767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae159f17f

New Carson zPix 200 Digital Camera Microscope

CARSON MM-740 zPix™ 200 USB Digital Microscope with 34x–168x Optical Zoom
Powerful Zoom Digital Microscope Which Displays the Magnified Image on your Computer Screen
26x–130x Zoom Magnification Allows Users to see Details of Ordinary Objects they Never Knew Existed
Captures Images using the Built-in 1.3 Megapixel Resolution Digital Camera
Captures Close-Focus Video

Hi man,

I have a similar product to that, probably some ripoff brand, all of the 400/500x USB microscopes look almost identical.

Here is a link to some shots I have taken with mine, I think the link is in my sig as well.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=197671

The only drawbacks that I see with these are they have like 1MP camera's in them which is kinda weak and the focus/zoom is in one wheel and it is analog. It is somewhat difficult to focus and takes me about 1 minute to get a decent picture. After about 3-5 pictures I get one that I think is decent enough to keep or post.

Pretty sweet all in all though. The best use I have found is to take it into the garden with a laptop and then use it without the stand and hold it directly to live plants to inspect the resins.

The other thing is that I got a Canon SX130 which has 12X optical Zoom and 12MP for like $175 on sale. If I can coax that to take a nice MACRO mode pic and digitally zoom the pic on my computer, I get almost as nice of a shot with a larger field of view due to the much larger and nicer lens.

Peace

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey, don't knock kid's USB microscopes... they work great and are half the price. I've got a Digital Blue that takes great pics and it cost about a hundred bucks. 10x, 60x and 200x magnification. All the macro shots in my threads are from this digi blue, including the one in my avi.

o2much4me

Good thread I am looking for a USB digital microscope too.
here are what I have been looking at, any comments or suggestions appreciated.
Veho VMS-004 Discovery Series 400x $80 -->
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=Veho VMS-004&_sop=15

CELESTRON MICROSCOPE MODEL 44302-A $50 --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/130774885031?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

New Dino Lite AM2011 Microscope & MS21W Stand USB Digital Handheld Camera Bundle $139

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400249983462?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Thanks
using for trichomes inspection

o2much4me

I've got that one and it's great, I wish it had a higher amount of pixels though. Here's a few shots from mine...

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

Macro shots from high quality camera's and lenses are hard to beat, knocks the USB Microscopes out of the water but the microscopes are still very cool and handy come harvest time for unfamiliar strains.

HGO

What did you use for the pics, there very good-

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would recommend being ready to reinstall windows , the drivers wrecked my XP systems , set a restore point at least.

Plastic lenses , coarse adjustment and very shallow depth of field are fine for examineing stamps but difficult on bud , very frustrateing in use.

This is as good as i could get , and poor , a 10x adapter on the front of almost any digi cam would be far better.

picture.php

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What microscope are you running foomar? My digiblue is older and has a 32 bit resolution, so I've got to set my screen res to 32 before I open the program, or it eventually crashes my Windows 7. Would love to get a micro that took more 3 dimensional shots.

F

Fred el Gato

Carson sells what they call the Zorb. Usb connection to your comp., works decent to see trichs. 15 inch screen gives you 30x larger screen more x.

sprinkl

Veteran
Plastic lenses , coarse adjustment and very shallow depth of field are fine for examineing stamps but difficult on bud , very frustrateing in use.

I have an USB microscope and though they are cool to have, I'd have to agree with this post. The high zoom is great, pretty much all the rest is pretty worthless. You can barely change the focus so it has to be at x distance always, and the pixels are way too few at such high zoom rates. Good for examining trichomes(if you cut of a sample, else it's a PITA to get a good shot) but don't expect to get any pretty pictures out of it.

bluntmassa

I guess they do the trick but their is one guy on another forum that uses a SLR camera and his close ups are a lot clearer then yours but then again those cameras are around $400 and then you got to buy lenses. But I'm gonna get the slr cause I want to take nice pics and not only of bud like the bald eagle I got diving into the water but it only came out as a spec with my cheap camera also the bud shots are not very good on it. So I figure I'm gonna just save my pennies and grab a Cannon and some lenses then I can take professional quality wildlife and bud pics at least with a little practice.

gardenfather

I guys you could always get a really good Microscope and just get the 8MP or 10mp USB2.0 Microscope Digital Camera + Calibration Kit. Turns it into a high power usb microscope :) i might get one for my first grow