What's new

Germinating seeds

Redblueblur993

Hey everybody how you doing I got a question what is the best way to germinate seeds. I put two packs eight seeds each I put them in a wet paper towel Ziploc bag in between two plates on the heating pad and nothing broke so I pop two more strains same method and nothing. What do you guys do to germinate seeds and what are your methods cuz it seems like I've popped the whole pack of seeds and only one would pop a tail.
IMG20240305113550.jpg

Hey everybody how you doing I got a question what is the best way to germinate seeds. I put two packs eight seeds each I put them in a wet paper towel Ziploc bag in between two plates on the heating pad and nothing broke so I pop two more strains same method and nothing. What do you guys do to germinate seeds and what are your methods cuz it seems like I've popped the whole pack of seeds and only one would pop a tail. View attachment 18969292
Hey everybody how you doing I got a question what is the best way to germinate seeds. I put two packs eight seeds each I put them in a wet paper towel Ziploc bag in between two plates on the heating pad and nothing broke so I pop two more strains same method and nothing. What do you guys do to germinate seeds and what are your methods cuz it seems like I've popped the whole pack of seeds and only one would pop a tail. View attachment 18969292
put them in a cup of water for 48 hours on top of heat mat then plant.

amanda88

1. take out the seeds from the freezer, and count out the required amount

2. I drop to a jar of sandpaper and shake for 30secs longer if old

3. then to a jar with a used tea bag and cleanest water of 25c/77F (teas got polyphenols needed by seeds)

4. once sunk about 2 hours for fresh seeds up to 24+ hours if old or just bought

5. then to a damp paper towel and left in a warm place until the white tail shows (called 'the rest')

6. once tails are 1-2 inches in length i potup and keep warm not so much light but warm

its a song and dance routine I do without thinking, it was told me by a high end botanist years back and never had any issues

good luck

Last edited:

Redblueblur993

1. take out the seeds from the freezer, and count out the required amount

2. I drop to a jar of sandpaper and shake for 30secs longer if old

3. then to a jar with a used tea bag and cleanest water of 25c/77F (teas got polyphenols needed by seeds)

4. once sunk about 2 hours for fresh seeds up to 24+ hours if old or just bought

5. then to a damp paper towel and left in a warm place until the white tail shows (called 'the rest')

6. once tails are 1-2 inches in length i potup and keep warm not so much light but warm

its a song and dance routine I do without thinking, it was told me by a high end botanist years back and never had any issues

good luck
I will try your method out I have heard of everything that you've done.

Redblueblur993

only in the last year have I flipped to tea bags before that I used a tsp of Aloe Vera juice
I've been doing the paper towel method throughout the years and I've had good and not good ratio of seeds being germinated. I'm trying different stuff this time to find what really works best for me

OleReynard

I like to:
Soak them overnight in bottled water with a tad of h2o2.
Shot glasses are perfect put on top of fridge to the back.
Then I use plain white paper towels, I call this in between the sheets
I use 2 plates that will fit inside a zip lock gallon bag.
Fold paper towels in half put it on the plate put the seeds that soaked overnight on the paper towels in the middle.
Fold another paper towel in half and cover the seeds with it.
Bottled water is used next I saturate the paper towels not sopping wet but wet.
Stack the other plate on top like they're stacked in your cabinet.
Put inside ziploc put to back of fridge on top.

3 days total from soak to unveiling you will have cotyledons busting out of their shells.
When you bury seeds make sure the cotyledons are able to get light.
Boom they're off to the races.

I've been doing the paper towel method throughout the years and I've had good and not good ratio of seeds being germinated. I'm trying different stuff this time to find what really works best for me
it all just boils down to heat, moisture and darkness, obviously once you have planted them they need light lol

Redblueblur993

I like to:
Soak them overnight in bottled water with a tad of h2o2.
Shot glasses are perfect put on top of fridge to the back.
Then I use plain white paper towels, I call this in between the sheets
I use 2 plates that will fit inside a zip lock gallon bag.
Fold paper towels in half put it on the plate put the seeds that soaked overnight on the paper towels in the middle.
Fold another paper towel in half and cover the seeds with it.
Bottled water is used next I saturate the paper towels not sopping wet but wet.
Stack the other plate on top like they're stacked in your cabinet.
Put inside ziploc put to back of fridge on top.

3 days total from soak to unveiling you will have cotyledons busting out of their shells.
When you bury seeds make sure the cotyledons are able to get light.
Boom they're off to the races.
This is incredible information very detailed thank you so much.

OleReynard

I like to know what I have when I germinate, I also mainly plant pre2000 stock.
Plus I'm under a plant limit restriction

Last edited:

cbotany

I just put them in the dirt when its something i've bred and have enough of, if i buy it, I just soak it for 24 hours, then put it in the dirt.