What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

genes associated with trichomes found

clearheaded

While this article focuses on obvious that stalked trichs are best. The researchers found genes that are associated. UV light may help determine ripeness. Not so sure, but will make it easier for computers to count certain trichs via color dif help with breeding.

⁰Lab Manager Magazine: The Frostier the Flower, the More Potent the Cannabis.
https://www.labmanager.com/news/2019/10/the-frostier-the-flower-the-more-potent-the-cannabis

robotwithdreams

Veteran
Ditto, thanks for posting.

Right off the bat, real world experience tells me frostier flower does NOT always mean more potent bud.
I have come across stuff that is stupid frosty yet is considerably less potent than other stuff with obviously less frost.

Drewsif

So Hope Jones' "Kola scan" is becoming reality... People are so bad at growing, so ignorant about Cannabis they are now willing to pass the blame for their shit quality on to machines and unavoidable industry standards?

The frostier the Cannabis the more potent? That's simple not true, almost backwards going by real life observation. The frostiest bud is usually the worst, excluding bud that simply has no resin. Frosty bud is generally like a chicken strip that's all breading. Long stalks are shit quality, scabbed up calloused trichs, arguably a shit characteristic too. I guess quality on paper will always be opposite of quality in reality.

I'll stick with quality, not illusion. Sticky and zero frost. I have calyx stuck in my hair right now, as I do most days, stringy 3m construction glue levels of stickiness. Zero frost. Less than 20% thc. Best smoke for 2k miles in any direction.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Its all about the contents of that frost. Could be amazingly potent or a total dud. I read in one of the landrace threads a while back that potent low trichrome plants are good breeding material. The idea being that you can inject the potency of the low frost strain into the ones with lots of frost.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
So can someone cross Original Glue with Bruce Banner (32% THC)?:biggrin:

Damnit that was supposed to be Gorilla not Original, why does it keep changing?

clearheaded

Drewsif, your confusing a few things. AS what you are suggesting is headed trichomes dont produce thc and terps.

1. overall quality vs potency of canniinoids and terps
2. frost vs headed trichomes

the more capitate stalked trichomes (other hairs give frosty look but cary little no cannibinoids), the more potent or potentially potent it will be. yes sometimes a 15% var is waay stronger then a 27%, not because thc but other terpenes cannibinoids etc. sure some even capitate stalked frosty looking stuff may not have high thc or terpenes however it is far more likely to ;) people would say this about white widow, look frosty but had low potency perhaps less goodies in the heads or just alot of hairs with no hedas giving the frost look.

knowing how to genetically get more or larger capitate stalked trichomes is going increase yeild of terpenes and cannibinoids. opens things up for breeding as does knowing genes for enzymes that help create cannibinoids from base cbg. yes other "hairs" sessile, or resinous waxy cuticle membranes etc can produce oils/resins just not the THC.

may be able to get those other trichomes to produce cannibinoids aswell or simply reduce the amount of none goodie trichs.

lol frosty maybe they dont want to get sued is why change the name ;)

TheSg

Frosty=probably good.
I know sometimes this type of observation isnt true.
But frosty bud is always a sign of trichomes.
Trichomes are what hold medicinal components.
What else is there to say.
Frosty bud is good bud.
Sometimes I think people who smoke lots of indica can't telk what a good frosty sativa bud is.
Because they don't get that heavy knockout type feeling they will claim the bud is no good.
All the meanwhile they are well and high on sativa herb but in denial because of its smoother less debilitating effects.
Its a waste of good sativa.
Frosty herb is always a good thing really though.
I love hashy flowers.
I guess some cbd strains must lack potency even if they have a large amount of trichomes.
But that's still potent with cbd then.

Latest posts

Latest posts