What's new

Found this! Thoughts?

Terpyterps

Time is coming sooner than later to take cuttings to check some phenos from seeds and I have been wondering how should I root them and I usually just do them straight to Root Riot cubes and Clonex and they have decent success rate, around 95% what is the average. So no real reason, but like we all know weed growers make things always bit too creatively so I saw these sold in one store and they got me interested because it is very sturdy and I could just make my rooting medium and would be free from those cubes and no need for sterile medium because they grow in living soil. This also would work as propagator for seeds. It has wick in each section and it holds them moist and they also start air pruning there too, that’s kind a their selling point.

OxfKXvp_d.webp

aPMaTsj_d.webp

LocTS9v_d.webp

So what ya thinking of this thing? I might buy it here and do just simple worm castings and perlite mix for the cuttings to root in and save another unnecessary material.

Terpyterps

Holds 32 seedlings or cuttings. Each cassette has 8 slots and you would remove them by opening it from side gently. Only thing is that you need pretty good roots to hold them together but that’s kind of the point.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i use a similar thing for my peas and beans from seed in the garden. they should work for cuttings but each one isn't going to have a lot of room if you fill each cell. i use generic peat pucks for cuttings as i can space them out as i want..
VG

ilovegrowing

Seems like a cool idea! I would say give it a try and report back. Be our scapegoat :)

I like all the wicking stuff (and also the blumat dripper) as both are non electrical but clever engineered methods for watering.

And i like the design with the open slits to allow airflow. You probably wont have to open it anymore. Greets

ilovegrowing

But i have to say too, that the clones who are sticking in a drier medium tend to do more roots. And if its too wet it takes longer in my coco jiffies.

Im worried that its too wet with the wicking but with the airflow it should be fine

Terpyterps

Yes it’s pretty intriguing! Sure it would not be filled out completely, taking anywhere from 4-20 cuttings at most, no need for more than few that gets grown in the end. Next run will be max 2 gallon pots to check few strains before I commit to any of those for longer term. One two weeks veg and of they go for flowering. Roots will be developing also through stretching phase too and couple of weeks is plenty for good cutting to develop roots in veg for small pot. It’s enough that they develop only main colas without too much side branching. That’s good way to check how the buds looks like and how much they stretch and what is the pattern of growth.

Terpyterps

Might just add water when needed and nullify the wick moving water constantly. It’s true that excess water is not good for clones.