What's new

For those who like to measure (pH). We salute you.

Tomatoesonly

@gmanwho is 100% correct. Just this morning I double checked and my Hanna ( couple weeks old) is way off compared to my Apera.
Get this. I went and calibrated both of them... STILL off from each other by .4-.5 points!!
I mean WTF is up with that?

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran

CE1A36A1-7FA5-464B-93B6-909AFC68E793.gif

I gave up using ph pens years ago after my 4th one went out of wack. I just ignore ph now, I use tap water. Results seem just as good and it's much easier. I've taken to aerating the water for a day or so before mixing and watering with good results. Oh, I use PBP and pro-mix.
I use 100% coco and having a accurate ph is everything and having a accurate pen is a must even mixing nutrient correctly is a must it's easier just to say everything has to be done right is a must or the plant won't like it much.

I had a degrading ph pen battery give incorrect results and new batteries fixed it also a small bottle of probe cleaner for ph and ec meters is worth having just to dip and soak for 5 minutes.

Ca++

I have been waiting years and years for my meter to die, but still have a spare tip, so I'm guessing another 10 years at least. I expect Omega instruments will still be stocking the next one I fancy, as they have kept the same line for 20 years or more. Just a $100 thing, with new tips about $60. It's costly, but they are a lab supplies company. It will work, or they wouldn't be selling it.

I like the idea of one that gives a probe condition reading.

My last meter died when I stuck it in RO. Someone explained why years later. Hearing someone having trouble, that also has RO, makes me suspect they have killed it. Though leaving the cap off is usually what kills them.

Ca++

Bruce Bugbee and Westmoreland published their P trail in November. Done using the phtestr 10, which I use. Branded Oakton over there, and eutech over here. You can still find them, but the new version of the phtestr 30 is more common, and generally cheaper. Same probe.
A probe should really last 6 - 18 months. Mine is 2008

Rockchild

This is an old thread but…
The Two biggest contributors to ph pen failure/inaccuracy is the probe drying out or not being stored properly.
PH pens MUST be stored in a “storage solution” (KCI), not water.
Also, clean them every couple months with ph pen cleaner.

singlecoiled

I gave up using ph pens years ago after my 4th one went out of wack. I just ignore ph now, I use tap water. Results seem just as good and it's much easier. I've taken to aerating the water for a day or so before mixing and watering with good results. Oh, I use PBP and pro-mix.

I considered investing in a good PH pen, but after reading about calibration, and items that wear down like probes, I decided to continue using drops. Drops dont need calibration ! PH meters sound like a real headache that you'll always be second guessing the readings with.

If anything, I'll purchase a cheap PH pen to use a long side my drops. (drops get you in the "neighborhood") and when the $10 dollar meter wears out, I'll just buy another.

Many complain that drops will not show good results unless the water is clear. Not true ! Lets say the water is very dark brown. If the PH is off, the red or green will show through. You learn how to use these after a while and they are very consistent with results. In soil, yellow to slightly yellow/green if perfect for feed time.

If you already have a high end Apera, BlueLab etc pen, I highly recommend using these drops to reduce wear and tear on your meter. Lets say you want a PH of 6.3. Use the pen to see what color hits 6.3 and remember the color. You wont need the pen again to hit 6.3. You'll know that yellow with just a hint of green is very close to 6.3

Cons? You cant hit EXACT Ph numbers. Frankly, I doubt you can with a pen too if they are off a bit.. Who needs exact anyway. You will be very close to your chosen PH using drops.

General Hydroponics drops---one bottle has lasted me 3 years and I've used only 1/10th of it (big bottle, they have a smaller one too) Under $20

pH color scale.jpg

Last edited:

negative37dBA

Veteran
Been using my Bluelab guardian constantly for 3 years now...never have taken it out of the rez except for cleaning and calibration. Been perfect. Have a second handheld bluelab....constant use for 2.5 years....no issues, perfect. I grow in RDWC and correct, precise ph is important to me. NEVER been let down by Bluelab.
Have a great day all. Peace, negative.

singlecoiled

Been using my Bluelab guardian constantly for 3 years now...never have taken it out of the rez except for cleaning and calibration. Been perfect. Have a second handheld bluelab....constant use for 2.5 years....no issues, perfect. I grow in RDWC and correct, precise ph is important to me. NEVER been let down by Bluelab.
Have a great day all. Peace, negative.

Nice meters, I really wanted to get one but decided drops work fine. (for me) I'm not knocking your meters all, just saying the drops work too and are so simple...

Peace, Positive !