What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Florida lawmakers approve medical marijuana bill

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Florida lawmakers approve medical marijuana bill
By Bill Cotterell

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (Reuters) - Florida legislators voted on Friday to allow doctors to prescribe a special strain of "non-euphoric" marijuana for treatment of chronic epileptic seizures and some other severe illnesses.
Governor Rick Scott said he will sign the bill into law when it reaches his desk.
"They definitely made a difference in many people's lives today. It was historic," said Ron Watson, a lobbyist whose 8-year-old son, Dylan, died of leukemia.
Watson and several other parents, many wheeling their stricken children into the Capitol, testified at committee hearings and contacted House and Senate members throughout this year's 60-day session of the Florida Legislature.
The parents advocated strictly controlled legalization of a special form of marijuana known as "Charlotte's Web," named for a Colorado girl whose epileptic seizures have shown some response to the drug.
View gallery

Buds are removed from a container at the "Oregon's Finest" medical marijuana dispensar …

The substance is not for smoking. It is specially cultivated to be very low in tetrhydrocannabinol (THC), the element that gets users high, and also very low in cannabidiol (CBD), which eases seizures in the brain.
"I'm a parent and a grandparent," Scott told reporters on Thursday. "I want to make sure my children, my grandchildren, have the access to the health care they want."
The Senate voted 30-9 to send the bill to Scott on Friday.
That vote, and the 111-7 House passage a day earlier, marked a rare example of strong bipartisanship in the Republican-dominated Legislature.
The proposal was tightly drawn to allay fears of conservative lawmakers who generally oppose easing drug laws while allowing a "compassionate use" registry for the oil or vapor extract of a specially grown marijuana strain that is extremely low in the intoxicating ingredient pot users enjoy.
The bill does not legalize marijuana in smoking form, but authorizes designation of five dispensaries operated by established nursery owners, who will cultivate the special blend under closely regulated conditions.
The bill is not related to a constitutional amendment on November's Florida ballot by a public petition campaign that would allow doctors to prescribe regular marijuana for patients with severe disabilities.
It is estimated that Florida has 125,000 epilepsy sufferers. The House amended the bill to allow use of the drug for cancer and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.
Representative Dennis Baxley, a Republican, said he could not support the legislation. Despite tight legal restrictions, and although the low-THC strain cannot get users high, he said he feared it was a first step toward legalizing more drugs.
"This could be the rifle shot that starts a massive avalanche," Baxley said.
(Editing by Kevin Gray and Gunna Dickson)
<!-- google_ad_section_end --></SECTION>
View Comments (143)
http://news.yahoo.com/florida-lawmakers-approve-medical-marijuana-bill-204246320--sector.html

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Cancer, seizures, spasms only. Smoking is forbidden - what if the patient smokes it anyways? It's going to take a lot of money to comply with all the restrictions.

An applicant for approval as a dispensing organization must be able to demonstrate:
1. The technical and technological ability to cultivate and produce low-THC cannabis. The applicant must possess a valid certificate of registration issued by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services pursuant to s. 581.131 that is issued for the cultivation of more than 400,000 plants, be operated by a nurseryman as defined in s. 581.011, and have been operated as a registered nursery in this state for at least 30 continuous years.

Sounds like they have specific contributors in mind.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2014/1030/BillText/er/HTML

Morcheeba*

Veteran
I was watching the senate in session today and CS/CS/HB 1030 Low THC Cannabis was brought up for an amendment to reduce qualifications for an ag permit, it failed.

applicants must be existing ag farm in fl for 30 yrs. the amendment was to reduce it to 15 yrs in fl.

they don't call it the dirty south for nothing.

peace

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's funny how some people would think this strain is ok but anything that gets you high should be illegal. The same people wouldn't think twice about giving morphine to someone who really needs it. Morphine gets you way higher than THC, and it's addictive.

This still seems like a small step in the right direction. The vast majority of legislators agreed that at least some form of cannabis can be helpful as a medicine.

I hear some people say that it's a step in the right direction; as for me, I'm only happy about those seizure prone kids will be getting their meds. Beyond that, I'm quite the skeptic.

BTW: This bill has nothing to do with the upcoming November elections, which include an amendment for medical, (other strains), still non-grow. Who will be allowed to grow?

Just like Morcheeba said "they don't call it the dirty south for nothing" Fuck this dirty, rotten state!

Catatafish

Veteran
Tell em Morcheeba!!!

Crooked ass fucking state. I guess no one learned from the expressway authority debacle currently going on....

Just the good ole boys.....

Has anyone even lived in florida for 30yrs?

shithawk420

Veteran
Typical south east bullshit.good to see you captain ginyu.haven't seen you in a while.thought you split.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tell em Morcheeba!!!

Crooked ass fucking state. I guess no one learned from the expressway authority debacle currently going on....

Just the good ole boys.....

Has anyone even lived in florida for 30yrs?

My family has been there at least 5 generations. My grandfather's been there 91 years, not counting his time in the Navy in WW II.

This is a good first step because it might let cancer patients like my aunt get legal access to something that helps. I hope the ballot measure passes in November so patients won't be restricted to low THC strains.

Some form of full legalization will happen eventually. I don't know if full legalization would pass this year if it was on the ballot.

Morcheeba*

Veteran
im sure Amendment 2 will pass but w/the regulations to be drafted by the same lawmakers who passed the current Low THC bill has me thinking a similar min requirement will be put in.

regardless it all a good step forward and in time the craziness will pass.......I hope.

peace

Jhhnn

Veteran
Being Florida, I'd suspect it's an effort to take the wind out of the sails of the more comprehensive measure up for a vote in November.

Ponce deleon

Being Florida, I'd suspect it's an effort to take the wind out of the sails of the more comprehensive measure up for a vote in November.

You nailed it. I'm glad that those suffering from chronic seizures will get the help they need but SB1030 will be used by the opposition forces currently aligning as a means to dis credit the ballot initiative to be voted on in November.

Of course this is me speculating but its likely that those in opposition will push out propaganda on how Amendment 2 is 'useless' now that the FL legislature has "tackled the issue."

Here's hoping that Floridians see through that facade and pass Amendment 2 by a mass majority!:ying:

I hear some people say that it's a step in the right direction; as for me, I'm only happy about those seizure prone kids will be getting their meds. Beyond that, I'm quite the skeptic.

BTW: This bill has nothing to do with the upcoming November elections, which include an amendment for medical, (other strains), still non-grow. Who will be allowed to grow?

Just like Morcheeba said "they don't call it the dirty south for nothing" Fuck this dirty, rotten state!

Amendment 2 on the Nov ballot does not indicate a grow or non grow for the patient or caregiver. That will be determined by the State at some point more than likely.

iBogart

Veteran
I'm calling bullshit on the charlotte's web strain. An excuse by prohibitionist to thwart progress in the study and use of marijuana and all it's properties. Why don't they want us to feel good? No, take this pill that costs hundreds of dollars and makes you feel like shit, or drink this alcohol that makes you nauseous and vomit. We can see through the bullshit.

iBogart

Veteran
http://www.thedailychronic.net/2014...s-approve-restrictive-medical-marijuana-bill/

....AND to grow/sell you must have been an active licensed nursery for 30 years in Florida !

No man, that's for the Charlotte's web bill passed by the legislature, which we all know is bullshit top to bottom.

For amendment 2, the Florida department of health will be tasked in setting up the growing and selling of mmj. We won't know what mmj will look like in florida until after it passes this november by the voters of florida.

dddaver

Veteran
No man, that's for the Charlotte's web bill passed by the legislature, which we all know is bullshit top to bottom.

For amendment 2, the Florida department of health will be tasked in setting up the growing and selling of mmj. We won't know what mmj will look like in florida until after it passes this november by the voters of florida.

Thanks dude. You're right. Wrong link and quote. This one's better.

http://ballotpedia.org/Florida_Right_to_Medical_Marijuana_Initiative,_Amendment_2_(2014).

The Department of Health shall register and regulate centers that produce and distribute marijuana for medical purposes and shall issue identification cards to patients and caregivers. Applies only to Florida law. Does not authorize violations of federal law or any non-medical use, possession or production of marijuana.

Latest posts

Latest posts