What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

First time Organic Grower

gatsbyalighieri

Hey all first time grower. Using organic soil from coast of maine, their lobster shell additive, and Grease Bison Poop. Watering with un-PHed tap water from Maryland. Trying to figure out what exactly is going with the plants to make them yellow like this and what I can do to fix it. Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2024-07-12 at 7.47.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-07-12 at 7.47.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-07-12 at 7.47.26 AM.png

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Sometimes a plant can get tip burn from excess salts in the soil. In an organic mix, the water is what releases the nutrients. Heavy watering will make the mix hotter than wet-to-dry watering cycles. Holding the discharge will allow the nutrients to last longer. If you have a lot of discharge or runoff your nutrient content will decline quickly. I think your plants are ok for now.

I Care

My local grow shop recommended cut their coast of maine in half with promix, based on their personal experience. I mixed their coco aeration mix 1/4, grower mix 1/4 with my homemade promix for the other 1/2. The run off was still pretty potent. Believe I could have used 1/3 cost of maine Instead of half and half.

Idk if you’re using the grower mix coast of maine is a really good base soil to blend with inert grow media. I even stocked a bag of their quoddy compost, a generous helping of NPK at a low price.

Common practice to also mix base soil with some coco to help with aeration and drainage. If you are Keen on throwing some of that in there it helps build a good spongy soil for the roots.