What's new

First time bubble hasher - I probably should have stored in a fridge/freezer, right?

Dabbert Globberfield

@hamstring Yep, I have a crappy 2gal pump sprayer I used for clean up and I used until foam was gone. There wasn't much foam overall. Here is an awesome first pull on my 3rd run 73-159u
20230312_062040826.jpg

It's hard to get action photos. But here is a good one I took of me cleaning up a 4th pull on this same load. You can see how it cleaned up nice. But it took a long time cause the sprayer is weak.

20230312_073114120.jpg 20230312_073256435.jpg

As for the hose, I use it to clean the bags when I am done and that works very well. Actually, I kind of do a last run for fun with the hose during cleanup and I usually got something worth scooping out of it. I am really close to using a hose next time.

Speaking of clean up... how do you clean bags with alcohol easily? I tried to clean one bag that looked particularly resinous and it just made the whole bag sticky and my hands. Is there a trick? Or do I have to just soak and then transfer to cleaner alcohol and soak again and repeat until clean...

On a side note, I have never been as sticky in my life as I have found myself constantly being sticky while growing and processing weed. I wen through 5pairs of gloves during this last wash load between beginning and sieving.

hamstring

Veteran
Dude wrong guy to answer that question. During my outdoor run this year I blew out my material bag. There are some really quality bags but mine were just bubbledudes bags. I spent $35.00 or something like that for a whole 5 gal set.

I usually wash them with cold water with a garden hose sprayer nozzle until they look clean. Let them dry and then you can use alcohol to clean the sticky residue off. I'm not sure they ever come completely clean after you make a big run.

Somebody knows but its not me.

Dabbert Globberfield

I'm glad everyone likes my results. It helps validate my efforts were for top quality. I do have to apologize because I... uh... did a thing.

So hear me out, and before we go on just know I will save some good bubble as bubble... I now know I definitely shouldn't have pressed the hash. I don't like combustion. So smoking it with bowls or joints is unappealing to me. Granted I will blaze one now and then. But I am built for concentrates at the moment.

With that in mind, I can technically "dab" this stuff off the balls(lol) but it's a little dirty. The picture below is more dirty than the others as one is from a pile of box scrapings and the other is from a hose cleanup.
20230315_060130332.jpg

Regardless, this is not dabbable to me and I am not interested in smoking the amount of weed to compensate for the amount of hash I have. I think it would be a lot of joints.

So on to the thing I did... I took one of the smaller balls, it was 2g of some 45u off of the 1st wash of a run. I molded it into the perfect shape of a bag and flatness and loaded it in. I pressed it into rosin....

20230316_043041592.jpg 20230316_043056470.jpg 20230316_043236115.jpg 20230316_043252894.jpg 20230316_043518340.jpg 20230316_051431335.jpg

I hope it isn't too sacrilegious but wooooooooooooohoooooooooooo this is what I want as I have no way of consuming the hash balls in their current form to enjoy their complexity the same way I am equipped to do with rosin. What would a good non combustion way of consuming the pressed hash balls I have be?

This was just a test... It was very successful though and now I will probably press all the balls... hah. Seriously though, If I didn't roll it all up into balls and kept it in stuck together bubble hash granular form I would have kept it like that and not pressed it. These balls are unappealing so they are now getting the squish...

I mean look at that color... Damn. Then When I mixed/whipped it up a little it is getting shiny fast... Man I want a jar of that. I'm sorry but I do.

I thought my flower rosin was top quality and light. I had to put the live rosin(cause that's what it is I guess) in the same jar as I have too many testers and need to clean some.
20230316_045405013.jpg 20230316_045441911.jpg

Easy to pick out the live rosin
20230316_051351256.jpg

I am still curious how bubble hashers do things. Like what are thoughts on:
using tap water - does it really make a difference big enough to tell?
using distilled water gallons - am I the only one buying entire carts full of distilled water several times to wash a load 6x?
do you do anything with the water - should I not be dumping that out? I basically just dumped it down my driveway lol
what kind of sprayers you have and use - my sprayer is junk but works. Although, i feel like i would go through a lot more water if i had a more powerful sprayer. But maybe i would be spraying less... hmm. tell me about the sprayers.
cleaning bags with alcohol easily - i need to clean these bags before I use them again. that wont be for a while, but I still would like to really clean them well.

I think I am most curious about the best way to consume the bubble hash, like the stuff I save, leave out for a bit to develop, then jar up.

Once I put effort into curing the bubble after drying, besides boofing it, what would be a very enjoyable way of consuming it that maximizes its flavor?
Like there are all sorts of specific methods for smoking, what is a specific method for smoking bubble I can use to take advantage of the flavors that develop? Do you have specialized rigs?

I saw this one video showing a weird shaped glass bowl on a waterpipe that someone rubbed hash on then heated a glass rod and tapped the hash repeatedly with the 'hot rod' while inhaling. That looked pretty fun. I've smoked hash before by putting it on a paper clip and burning it in a jar then sucking out the smoke. But if I tried that with the balls, it would melt down the paperclip.

Green81

Veteran
As for cleaning bags, after each pull from a bag, once the hash has been scoped put, I invert the bag and dip it into the catch bucket, this super cooled water makes it easy to remove any residue,
I rub the bag against itself, this knocks off most of the residue into the next bag, then this is lifted and the whole process starts again, after all hash hash been pulled you can ISO clean the bags to then store, clean and dry ready for the next time.
Making hash is mega time consuming and it also has a certain type of art form, to do it well!
G81

Dabbert Globberfield

As for cleaning bags, after each pull from a bag, once the hash has been scoped put, I invert the bag and dip it into the catch bucket, this super cooled water makes it easy to remove any residue,
I rub the bag against itself, this knocks off most of the residue into the next bag, then this is lifted and the whole process starts again, after all hash hash been pulled you can ISO clean the bags to then store, clean and dry ready for the next time.
Making hash is mega time consuming and it also has a certain type of art form, to do it well!
G81
On my very first attempt, I think the bags were too warm or something cause on a few bag layers the hash heads melted into and to some bags making a sticky mess. I cleaned and collected the best I could, but you can see blocked screen bits after very cold water washing/spraying. I guess the best way would be to soak the bag in iso squeeze out and soak in clean iso. Cause i find the iso just melts the heads and bonds to anything it touches as the iso dries. That's why I was asking about easy ways to clean with iso. I probly should just not be stingy with the iso.

on my 2nd/3rd attempts i kept the bags colder and before the first pull i wet the bags with ice cold water. i like that with my sprayer i can put ice cubes in it, so i can at least spray ice cold water. But this helped with having stuff stick to dry clean bags or at least I thought it did.

Green81

Veteran
After 50 or so times making hash, you start to find a certain rhythm to it, faster loads, quicker prep time, knowing when a bag has given up its last golden heads of goodness. The next run is always better than the last as you gain more experience, I think your there already it’s just time now..
The temple balls look sick! In Nepal some of the hash is cured for years, before it’s ready to smoke 🤓

Dabbert Globberfield

I have been... experimenting. I am having a hard time using the pressed hash I balled up as it is. I get that it is dabbable on its own, but it just leaves too much behind for me. I will try and show that in this post.

I pulled out some of the hash and the colder bits shatter off. I got it all together easily
20230316_194112224.jpg 20230316_194337045.jpg 20230316_194930015.jpg

I pinched off a tiny little bit. Then I flattened it as thin as I could with my hand. This is definitely dabbable but...
20230317_033017118.jpg 20230317_033024550.jpg

It's dirty. like really dirty.
20230316_204714170.jpg 20230316_204744645.jpg

I guess my bubble isn't as clean as I would like it to be for dabbing. I will have to try harder to be cleaner in the future and try not to contaminate collections. I can see how this would be a non issue smoking in a bowl or in a joint, and I saved another pinch or two that I will use in some joints. But those balls from my first post are going to get squished.

My tests have been really good. I have had some excellent success for my first few attempts at pressing. Just working up my experience before I tackle the big 24g ball. The below press is 10.2 grams of 73/90u. It pressed into 7.1g. This is better than my first result. I might even fold the bag and try a 2nd pressing to see if I can get more out of it.

20230316_205507594.jpg

this is what it looks like after i dab that hash ball rosin. so clean and i could hit dabs more times before it was done
20230317_033731340.jpg 20230317_033822237.jpg

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Thanks!

I did a lot of research before actually doing the deed. I definitely watched some of his videos, build a soil's video on making hash rosin was very helpful as well and the guy in that video said he learned and worked directly with frenchy at some point, also that Mr Canook guy on youtoob has a good washing video. I took points from a lot of videos, but those were the top 3. Plus other random info articles and the stuff in books I own about it. I made sure to have all the proper tools on hand as well. I ended up doing 3 loads with 4lbs of fresh frozen material. I did each load differently as I learned more through doing it.

The first load I used 7 bags just to see and I ended up mixing a bunch together at the end cause what I had at the end didn't look like much separate. I also lost a bunch in the bags and stuff cause it was sooo sticky. I didn't have a good method yet. I was able to sieve everything no problem.

The 2nd load, I only used 4 bags (25, 45,160,220) and I feel like I did a pretty good job. But I put in too much ice early on and found that it made green come through faster requiring more spray washing of the heads in the bags between runs. This one was hard to sieve, some of the stuff globbed up and froze and would not sieve. So some of it was microplaned.

The 3rd load, I felt like a pro and had the area prepared and the tools ready. I used 5 bags (25, 45, 73, 160, 220). I made sure to have a surplus of water and ice, as I had to ration water previously and or cut loads short. I made sure to not let the heads freeze because this is what made sieving hard. I was able to sieve everything here no problem by making sure nothing froze and by not waiting too long to sieve for drying.

It blows my mind how much actual work this all is by yourself. I mean it went like this for me:

fill washer with ice
then weed
then ice again
then fill with water

wash for x time

drain through bucket bags
refill the washer and wait until I was part way done collecting from the bags
collecting from the bags is its own process as well
start washer
spray each bag layer individually and scoop out stuff
refill and pump sprayer cause it's a 2 gallon pump sprayer thing
stop washer
restack bags

wash for x time

then do all this like 4 more times and at the end, or during the process, you are also sieving or microplaning the collection into carboard boxes.

Then the clean up between loads as well. Especially after the first load were the bags looked like a teenager's sock.

on top of that I'm using distilled water bottles and bags of ice to refill when needed. Well, each wash needed at least 4 gallons of water. So I was washing around 6 times caused me to need at least 24 gallons just for that. At one point I had over 60 gallons of water and 40lbs of ice in my garage. When I was done I really didn't want to ever do it again lololol

I mean we are talking about 6hours of work each load... lolol

Here's some photos to break up the post. A bunch of my empty distilled gallons. I also use spacers for the bags. The bucket has holed in it and that drained into the tote. I hold the tube straight when draining for aim and to make sure nothing sits in a trap caused by the curve.

View attachment 18819878 View attachment 18819879 View attachment 18819880 View attachment 18819881

How are you all handling that: refilling the washer? No one ever talks about this part that much if at all in any guides or videos.

There is so much waste water, too. Like am I supposed to do something with the water that runs through the bags? I was just dumping it. Do people run that water through bags again or re-use in the washer? No, right? Because that is gross, plus you would expect the bags to pull everything first run.
EDIT: I would love to collect and distill this water cause it does smell very good

Also, what are your thoughts on tap water? Like.... I was really tempted to just change locations to where a hose was and use the hose. The pressure coming out of the hose would have been way better than the sprayer I have. Plus having to refill it and pump it a bunch in between doing all this stuff sucks.

I was thinking maybe I could just wash in the washer with distilled water then use the hose water to spray clean and collect on the bags. How do people in videos have so much water pressure spraying ro/distilled water? I don't want to have to use an air compressor... it's probably an air compressor isn't it?
When I make my hash it's after Christmas sometime. It's generally 8 to 10 hours of the same process you described. I use a 10' x 14' drying/hash making lockable room I built into my garage.

It's always about +5 f or colder, not heated by any means so I totally get I'm glad that's over. I do about a pound at a time, so I get 3 to 5 days a winter of standing in the cold for a long time. I use my bathroom shower head to wash the bags through. Then carry them back out to the hash room. I use a ceramic coated plate with a handle screwed through the plate. It makes cleaning the bags of trichomes much easier than his frisbee without a handle.

At the end of the day I put all plant material from washer into the 220u bag with whatever ice is left and wash it through the screens with the shower head. I get a couple grams doing this. After all the ice is melted is squeeze the water out of the plant material and set it outside for the deer to eat. It's always gone by morning.

I have done this about 8 cycles now. I try to learn/improve with each cycle. I dump the used water into trees in my yard. There is a lot of chlorophyll in the water, it could go back into grow bags in the greenhouse as well.
Peace farmerlion
20220204_150225.jpg
20201011_104915.jpg
20201011_104542.jpg

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Dude wrong guy to answer that question. During my outdoor run this year I blew out my material bag. There are some really quality bags but mine were just bubbledudes bags. I spent $35.00 or something like that for a whole 5 gal set.

I usually wash them with cold water with a garden hose sprayer nozzle until they look clean. Let them dry and then you can use alcohol to clean the sticky residue off. I'm not sure they ever come completely clean after you make a big run.

Somebody knows but its not me.
Bold bags will set you back about $100 per bag for the 5 gallon one's I use. They work exceptionally well.

sublingual

Ok, so I am a first time grower who took some of their harvest and washed for bubble hash. My end goal was going to be to take the bubble and press it with a rosin press as that seems to be the thing to do. I wanted to at least try it. So everything ended up working out, more or less, and I ended up with some different grades of bubble that I dried.

View attachment 18819338

Once I took the dried bubble hash powder out of the cold area and into the basement (60-65f ambient temp) to wait for pressing, I found all of it a day later looking like this...

this was 24+ g of 45-120u I was really looking forward to pressing... found it like this. It was basically solid at this point.
View attachment 18819339

the others were less in weight, but exactly the same in terms of being stuck together
View attachment 18819340 View attachment 18819341 View attachment 18819342 View attachment 18819343

I figured that I would not be able to load bags for rosin pressing properly with this consistency I went the frenchy route and rolled a jar with hot water over the hash to make temple balls I guess.
View attachment 18819345

I ended up with this
View attachment 18819344

I have no idea if I should have done that or what I should have done after finding the hash stuck together and clumpy like that.

This happened because even 60f is too warm for the bubble? Because all of this was loose powder when I packaged it for later use.

What should I have done? Is this a common thing that happens with bubble at room temp?

I was able to form these balls without even using the hot water jar; it was very reactive to the warmth from my hand, You can see in an above photo where I pinched the bubble and it basically formed.

This is kind of a stupid question, I know, but how am I supposed to consume this? The balls are actually quite hard until they soften with heat from your hand.

I wrapped them in air tight in cellophane placed in a small jar for now. I hope over time they will soften or something. I wouldn't call this hash really, it reminds me more of like.... dirty dab. Like it really reminded me of rosin when I rolled it out. I also dabbed some of it. It went well enough, but it left behind a little residue.

View attachment 18819346

Not too sure what to do here. lol. I have some more bubble drying right now, but that bubble will not see room temp until it's bagged up and about to be pressed.
I think you should just send it to me for evaluation with the promise that I'll receive more when you make it. If you don't know what to do with it, I do.

Latest posts

Latest posts