What's new

fibergalss trays safe to use?

im thanking of building a grow tray out of fiberglass would this be safe for plants or could there be offgasing and toxen that would hurt the plants?

for the price of building a tray you could probly buy about 5 of them at a hydro store or lowes.......i wouldnt to be on the safe side dude....

odium33

ya do you have ready access to cheap fiberglass? if all you want is a standard size flood tray, seems like a lot to go through! I have seen someone build a DIY coliseum out of fiberglass. He was extremely talented, and it turned out awesome, i wish i still had the link. But he didnt seem to think it would affect the plants.

jaspmf

Standard fiberglass resin should be plenty safe for plants. In fact, I think Botanicare tables are fiberglass (the 7" deep ones; I think the thinner 4" high ones are ABS plastic).

It's PVC plasticizers (a chemical that makes PVC soft and pliable) that is the off-gassing culprit, meaning that you generally don't have to worry with "hard" plastics.

well the botanicare trays are not deep enough. i need atleast 10" deep. what im doing is a sog DWC project where im using a pvc manifold with 1" round air stones under each plant 50-70 plants per tray. right now im just doing some test runs with those 27 gallon totes you get from lowes.

jaspmf

Why do you need it so deep? What medium are you using?

You'll find that for most applications flooding that high isn't necessary, especially depending on medium and plant size/pot size.

Latest posts

Latest posts