What's new

Extension cord, timer or ballast malfunction!?

budeaze

I had this plugged into a 1000watt magnetic ballast. Been using it for at least a year no problem. Then all of a sudden this happened? Not sure what malfunctioned. Ive been using those style timers for about 6 years now. Ive had them stop switching on and off but never had this happen. I use all digital ballast besides this one random magnetic one.

Has anyone ever had this happen before? You think it could be the ballast that malfunctioned and was just drawing a ton of power which heated it up?

Seeing this shit scares the hell out of me...

( And no there was no water involved in this. I know there is water on top of that trash can lid but I set it there to take a picture)

Attachments

• 20140727_094608.jpg
    20140727_094608.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 49
Looks like you put too much power to that little timer

whats the tungsten rating on the timer?

cant use the cheep timers with a 1000w ballast, or this is what will happen sooner or later.

Im very glad you were there to deal with this problem before something bad happened

watts

ohms
Veteran
1000 watt lights are not to be used with those cheap timers. Those timers are basically meant to be used with pumps and fans, or other smaller equipment.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Know a guy that burned his house down doing that. Timer started a fire in the wall.

watts

ohms
Veteran
What timers are you using?

I use an Intermatic T-101 timer modified for portable use. If you don't want to mess with wiring, you can check out the Titan Controls Apollo 4 - 120V Ballast Timer or the Apollo 5 if using 240v.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Doesn't look like a problem with the timer but rather the plug on the extension cord. Scrape the crud off the timer, plug it in somewhere. If it works, it was the extension cord at fault.

If you're handy at all, it's easy to build your own cords with 14/3 SO cord from Home depot & some of the better end pieces.

As has been said, the intermatic t101 is old school bulletproof, easy to wire with the same cord, ends & a couple of cord grips.

Heavy continuous loads will reveal any sort of poor connection for what it is, sooner or later.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Along the same lines, it's important that wall receptacles be good quality as well. Many are not. Some sell for as little as $1. I like to upgrade to the $8-$9 models. Backwired models are particularly easy to use, the ones where you just strip the wires, insert into holes, tighten the screws. *Not* ones where the wire is simply inserted & held by spring pressure.

Aluminum wiring requires special parts & techniques to be safe, so be aware.

budeaze

Thanks for the tips. I feel like an idiot. Ive been using those timers for years and never realized they were not meant to power 1k watt. I just looked at them and it says 1875 watt 15 amp.

Im having an electrician come out today to wire all new 220 outlets and hardwire a couple lighting control boxes. With that being done ill be able to sleep at night.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Thanks for the tips. I feel like an idiot. Ive been using those timers for years and never realized they were not meant to power 1k watt. I just looked at them and it says 1875 watt 15 amp.

Im having an electrician come out today to wire all new 220 outlets and hardwire a couple lighting control boxes. With that being done ill be able to sleep at night.

Nothing dumb about that. When this round finishes rather shortly, I'm doing a total rework myself, including stepping up to 240v operation, low voltage control circuit, overheat lockout, the works. I'll probably get one of those automatic fire extinguishers as well, pray it never trips.

Good luck with it all.

budeaze

Nothing dumb about that. When this round finishes rather shortly, I'm doing a total rework myself, including stepping up to 240v operation, low voltage control circuit, overheat lockout, the works. I'll probably get one of those automatic fire extinguishers as well, pray it never trips.

Good luck with it all.

Nice! That sounds like a nice set up. I have a 220 outlet with a MLC-4x lighting control box hard wired to it. Have had it running for a couple years now with no issue. The box is always cool, the cords are cool. Just seems like a much safer way to go. I ordered a couple more of those boxes and they are getting wired up this weekend. I like those boxes specifically because they have a trigger that you plug into 110 that flips the relay. I dont know how I feel about the ones with the built in timers.
Better safe than sorry. Good luck with your project.

Latest posts

Latest posts