What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Electroculture - who has actually used it, how and with what result?

doublezero

Hi everybody :)

One day I discovered electroculture and it got my interest. All I saw regarding the results was so-so. Also there seem to be different approaches as to how you would implement electroculture. So, all that information available (that I saw) is diffuse.

However, some day I may go through a side-by-side usingn a setup looking something like this.
elcu_sticks.jpg

One stick is wrapped with copper wire clockwise, the other one counter-clockwise, the wire spiraling outward at the top. Both ends would face north (that's what i understood would be correct in my location). The plant would sit between those sticks.

Cheers :)

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Electroculture is interesting and is an old gardening technique. Maybe there's something to electroculture since it's been around for so long. Please keep us posted on the results you experience.

Electroculture is a gardening technique that uses conductive materials, like metal rods or wire to capture atmospheric electricity and direct it into the soil to promote plant growth. The idea is that plants have electrical signals in their cells, similar to humans, so increasing the energy around them can help them grow.

The first documented use of electroculture, the idea that plants respond positively to electric fields, was in 1746 by French scientist Jean-Baptiste de la Tour. De la Tour discovered that plants grew better when placed near a charged conductor, such as when Dr. Maimbray treated myrtle plants with an electrostatic generator. Google

doublezero

Yeah, I consumed some information about this already and was wondering why there is no consistent results out there ... in almost 300 years. That pushes this technique towards esotericism.

My guess is that there is something to it but the secret lies in the actual application and the environment.
(maybe material, thickness, characteristic of the spiral, dimension relative to plant, soil composition, interference, ... such things)

I am not able to follow the more technical layout and do calculations, if my assumptions apply. However, if I test it then there is a result or not, which can be repeated or not. This would then be a starting point for further investigation. Comparing 2 plants is difficult by itself I guess, because you never have 2 identical plants. Like computers that were built with the same components. They basically do the same thing but under the hood there is not the same "behaviour".

That alone makes a comparison hard enough. But hey, I will just stick those spirals in my soil.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I'm in a few electroculture groups and my God they argue about everything. Some of them say you can only spiral the copper clockwise, others say only anticlockwise. Some say it's different in the different hemispheres, some say it doesn't matter which way. It seems that new folks just pick one and stick with it for life and strongly advocate for their method while calling all people who do it differently morons and idiots. 😂
The newest thing I've been seeing from those groups are the copper grounding bed sheets. They plug their bedsheets into the third ground hole of a electrical socket, and sleep on them saying that being grounded for all those extra hours a day, makes them healthier and in less pain.

doublezero

Most likely it is physical laws (those we are kinda aware of today ;)) that would apply and from what I understand not the most complex ones. That's at least the most feasible foundation imho.

With this in mind I doubt the application of EC could show so many shapes. Any physicists here? :)

Anyway, for me it is more like

curiosity [x.....................] obligatory

As everything is ultimately some quantum stuff I can imagine that it could be a combination of frequencies and electricity. But all I really know about this that I frequently need electricity :D

@flower~power
Hm, I don't get it with that electric char :unsure:

Littleleaf

Veteran
My understanding is that most soil is lacking copper. (mine is) By using copper wire, it releases copper ions into the soil. Which helps the plants.

I built a system that the well water runs through it into the garden. I've yet to hook it up. Got way to many irons in the fire ATM. Hope to get it installed this fall.

Victor Sharberger (sp) I think is his name. Built systems to change the structure of water. That aided in better plant/humans health. He use copper in most of his inventions.

Mithridate

My only experience with electroculture is when years ago I diy'd a water chiller from an old air conditioning unit. First night, just to test run the thing I dropped the cold side directly in my rdwc reservoir.. with water splashing everywhere of course.

The return waterfall eventually fried the ground wire and the unit electrified the water... I didn't notice at first.. until the following day.. as soon as I touched a leaf.. I thought it had cut me lol. Naw - the whole thing was running on 120, plants included.

Stalks were ice cold and pulsating. The damn plants were thriving. Go figure. I left them under current the remainder of veg all the way through flower. Crop was top quality. Hah

doublezero

F*ck it, let's get straight to it.
elmo.jpg

Here is just a bridge to another topic, fwiw - Topic regarding sea salt.
As water itself is not that conductive but EC ist built up with compounds being in the water maybe only the right composition/proportion of compounds in the water will enable ... something ... somehow.
:dunno:

Last edited:

Shua1991

You only need like a 8w fan power supply and 4 2 watt feeds. 60w is overkill, adding certain liquids like carbonated spring water (mild sodium and calcium/magnesium/trace minerals) like San pellegrino mineral water.

doublezero

Oh, ok, it was meant to be a joke. I forgot the smiley :D

So there is acutally something to using electricity directly from a socket outlet? Are you aware of any grows being documented on IC MAG? I don't plan on using this "technique" but would however be interested in reading more.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
It wasn't documented here, but I remember years ago hearing on the Adam Dunn Show that Two from The Seed Kompany did an experiment where he ran electricity thru them. I can't remember but I think it was the strain Electric Lemon from TH Seeds.

doublezero

For now and until I will try it in my tent with cannabis I will just throw some baby antennas at my Pilea peperomioides which I have been cultivating for many years, fwiw.

Attachments

• 20240716_084904.jpg
    20240716_084904.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 15

doublezero

Just an observation - the plant with the antennas grows different from the other one. This is no conclusion. As my funny antenna project is non-cannabis you are invited to check my album, where I will provide details, either today or tomorrow.