What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Dying, shaded old leaf - Beneficial? -

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello,

Early in development - the seedling stage - I prematurely transplanted the children to the grown up lounge, where they were taught an early lesson: baby steps.

Now, they are mature and have entered the vegetative stage, and the unifoliate is totally shaded and damaged, but still possesses chlorophyll reserves - visibly green.

I picked up the applicable instruments and hesitated for a moment prior to operation, recognizing the leaf was(is) completely limp. I...hesitated...I couldn't do it, man! I don't have what it takes!

So, the plant has recognized that the foliage is no longer productive in generating energy, so she is keeping the leaf as an energy reserve.

I understand the great defoliation debate...arguing about energy allotment and the benefit>cost; a debate far larger than cannabis.

Jhhnn

Veteran
My experience is slim & my approach more casual & naturalistic than that advocated by many. I figure that millions of years of evolution have provided the plants with their own ways. I like to grow them straight out of the pot, let them do their thing, don't remove leaves at all until the plant is done with them, until they're at least yellow, preferably near dry. I get what i want with a minimum of fuss, and so do the girls. Easy-peasy.

El Jefe

I wonder what would happen if the branch or leaf were artificially shaded.

Would this speed the process of nutrient "reassignment" or be harmful to the plant due to less sunlight?

I often defoliate in veg and flower to shape the plant to suit my light. Maybe we could trick the plant to do it themselves.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I often defoliate in veg and flower to shape the plant to suit my light.

I figure the girls do it themselves, but I'm a pretty lazy grower with modest needs & expectations. I do watch carefully for pests & problems, just try to keep 'em watered, fed & happy when it's going well. I enjoy seeing the variations plant to plant & strain to strain that a natural grow style allows. My girls get to express themselves, strut their stuff the way they want. They seem to like that.

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seems like a good experiment, El Jefe. Less stress?

Or spraying some sort of chemical instead of pruning, and only on those select leaves.

That's why organics intrigues me, Jhhnn; it allows for true genetic expression.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I don't de-leaf big leaves until just before harvest, but I do grow big in the ground and cut off all the bottom branches up to 2 or 3 feet. My plants are all way over 10 foot and that seems to put more energy into the bigger branches and top buds and helps keep the plant clean and pest free. I still have just single branches of a plant that are huge, way bigger then most indoor plants.
-SamS

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, a variable I overlooked: pests. I know these leafs are weak and the colors attract predators.

It just seemed the plant was telling me to leave her alone. Spoke to me! I feel like some cruel, heartless man when I kill the weak and only encourage the strong to survive, just playing god

Just before harvest, Sam? Is this because of energy allotment as you mention? What I am saying is that the plant is no longer using any energy to maintain that leaf, very aware of the plants uselessness. I know that plants are aware of the deep red photons (photons?) which pass through leaf matter and makes shaded area aware? Does this pruning then require less energy from the plant to allocate to the branches for them to compete for sunlight?

The entire plant seems to be in competition with itself, all components contributing to the greater benefit of the whole, but still selfish in a way. So is the whole plant affected when that branch is pruned? Or do the other branches rejoice, knowing that they can become stronger! Seems this has been observed in many of the defoliation threads, and has been long utilized in horticulture.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Seems like a good experiment, El Jefe. Less stress?

Or spraying some sort of chemical instead of pruning, and only on those select leaves.

That's why organics intrigues me, Jhhnn; it allows for true genetic expression.

My efforts are also organic, or nearly so. I have trouble reconciling "organic" & "artificial light", but that's just me.

I agree that organic methods bring out the nuances in growth, taste, aroma & effect. My efforts are strictly non-commercial, largely exploratory at this point. I like growing from seed, as well, doubt that cloning would be nearly as interesting.