What's new

Durban Mango

Asentrouw

I'm relatively new to breeding, but last years I've done several crosses for outdoor growing in a northern climate. From all these crosses I liked one in particular:

SG Durban (Durban x Original Thai) x LBH Ierdbei F5 ((Jack Herer x Citral x Black Domina x Swiss Miss) x Erdpurt)

The F1 cross seems quite stable, it has a early and late flowering pheno. The early ones that start flowering begin of August (lat 52) I like a lot: they have a mango smell, full of trichromes, remain columnar and under 2 meter. Takes about 8-9 weeks to finish, the buds look and smell "indoor quality" (as opposed to many strains suitable for northern climates).

They take a lot from their Durban mother, but the leaves are more slender and it seems to be even more mold resistant and resilliant due to the incorperated Ierdbei genetics (which is a hybrid Dutch erdbeer reproduction).

Because of the typical mango smell some pheno's produce, I coined it "Durban Mango".

So this year I'm making F2 seeds. I want to grow them out and stabilize these specific traits.

What's the best way to do this? Just grow them out and keep crossing those with simular traits over the years?

I don't have means or space to grow out big numbers. So what would be the most practical way to realize this on a small scale?

Attachments

• 20230822_183656.jpg
    20230822_183656.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 89
  • 20230830_153217.jpg
    20230830_153217.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
  • DurbanMango.jpg
    DurbanMango.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I'm relatively new to breeding, but last years I've done several crosses for outdoor growing in a northern climate. From all these crosses I liked one in particular:

SG Durban (Durban x Original Thai) x LBH Ierdbei F5 ((Jack Herer x Citral x Black Domina x Swiss Miss) x Erdpurt)

The F1 cross seems quite stable, it has a early and late flowering pheno. The early ones that start flowering begin of August (lat 52) I like a lot: they have a mango smell, full of trichromes, remain columnar and under 2 meter. Takes about 8-9 weeks to finish, the buds look and smell "indoor quality" (as opposed to many strains suitable for northern climates).

They take a lot from their Durban mother, but the leaves are more slender and it seems to be even more mold resistant and resilliant due to the incorperated Ierdbei genetics (which is a hybrid Dutch erdbeer reproduction).

Because of the typical mango smell some pheno's produce, I coined it "Durban Mango".

So this year I'm making F2 seeds. I want to grow them out and stabilize these specific traits.

What's the best way to do this? Just grow them out and keep crossing those with simular traits over the years?

I don't have means or space to grow out big numbers. So what would be the most practical way to realize this on a small scale?
Run a bunch of plants in very small containers. That way you will have more space. The more the plants the more the choices.

Asentrouw

Run a bunch of plants in very small containers. That way you will have more space. The more the plants the more the choices.

Certainly true. I would love to run bigger numbers, but sadly for legal reasons its a bit difficult for me. I must not get too carried away with this and keep it a hobby. 😅

Maybe I try some guerilla style next year if I find the right spot. In the past I did so in a forest. But the soil was not adequate and I don't like to drag up and down with soil, especially not in a protected nature reserve.

Sadly I live in the most crowded country of Europe, so good spots are not for the grabs.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
nice effort. this should be outdoor strain I guess?

you will get big variation in F2s... so I recommend to go as many ways possible, I mean to make various different lines of F3s, with different characterics, and then hugely tested F3s and see what line was the best for you... and then even maybe combine some of them in F4s..

good luck.

Asentrouw

nice effort. this should be outdoor strain I guess?

you will get big variation in F2s... so I recommend to go as many ways possible, I mean to make various different lines of F3s, with different characterics, and then hugely tested F3s and see what line was the best for you... and then even maybe combine some of them in F4s..

good luck.

That's the idea. This Durban has always been a favorite of mine because of the happy, energetic, mellow high. Sativa effect done in about 9 weeks.

It performs well indoors aswell as outdoors. But outdoors at the end of flowering it is a little sensitive to rot in the northern hemisphere.

I have many different crosses made with this Durban mother.

But the Ierdbei seemed really to improve the mold resistance. I have this cross next to a outdoor cross of Danish genetics, which are usually quite resistant (see pic). But where these have some tiny spots of budrot already, the Durban Mango remains untouched by the very bad weather. Could be a lucky pheno ofcourse.

It also added a great sweet Mango smell. It remains to be seen how the high will be, but looking at all the trichromes it should be ok. I just hope the energetic happiness of the Durban sticks, as I find Ierdbei quite narcotic.

I'm just a bit worried about how much variation I'm going to find in the F2 generation, as one of the strains is very polyhybrid. Should be F5 or beyond, so I hope it's stable enough to make something without growing out huge numbers of plants.

Also I'm not sure how inbreeding will effect the vigorousness and how to keep them as vigorous as the first gen.

Attachments

• 20230830_153243.jpg
    20230830_153243.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Asentrouw

I think she still has two/three weeks to go before harvest. Dripping with resin and filling up, bit leafy. However, very hot weather with humid mornings also led to some budrot > 5% or so now.

Rain is coming next week, so maybe I'll take her a bit earlier.

I'm planning to do a indoor seedrun at a friend to create F2's to grow out next year. The F1 plants are quite uniform, most have the same early pheno. On occasion I come across a individual with a bit later pheno with smaller and less narrow leaves.

How many variety I can expect in a F2 line? What kind of numbers we are talking, to do a descent selection?

Attachments

• 20230911_192850.jpg
    20230911_192850.jpg
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 56

Asentrouw

So the early flowering pheno is chopped and hanged. Bit early as not all trichromes were milky yet. Lost about 10-15% to rot. With hot and rainy weather coming it seemed ok to take a bit earlier. In a few weeks a smoke report will follow.

The late flowering pheno looks pretty much the same, just a bit bigger and less smelly. I had to bend it down to keep it under 2 mtrs. It's exactly one month later, so should be ready for harvest end of October. Hopefully by then the rot stays away, as it will be quite some colder.

Attachments

• 20230918_151404.jpg
    20230918_151404.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • 20230918_151521.jpg
    20230918_151521.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54

Asentrouw

Also cut down another experiment from F1 seeds of a pollen chucking plot with different strains, mostly Danish stuff. No clue what it exactly is, but I think there should be some Maroc in there. Had pink pistills, quite small leaves and later on got some nice fall colours. It smells like berries and laundry detergent. Quite special, I really like it. 😂

Quite chunky buds. Could have gone 1-2 weeks more maybe, lost about 5-10% to rot.

I have a clone of it crossed with LBH Double Blanche this year, so might be a nice experiment for next year if the smell carries through.

Attachments

• 20230830_153243.jpg
    20230830_153243.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
  • 20230908_130132.jpg
    20230908_130132.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54

Asentrouw

Still a bit too moist, but already trimmed some Durban Mango buds for a test. They are nice and sticky, full with trichromes and smell like a very fruity Durban. Give it a try soon.

Attachments

• 20230921_165620.jpg
    20230921_165620.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 72

Asentrouw

The high of the Durban Mango is clear, energetic and quite racy, has a real sativa feel to it with almost no body stone. It's mostly the Durban coming through.

Good bag appeal, fruity citrus odor, sticky with lots of trichromes. Tasted a bit raw, but a good cure should handle that.

However, it lacks a bit of potency. Certainly not a one hit wonder, you need quite some vapes for it to take a hold and it slowly builds up.

It was taken quite early (7 weeks), so maybe that's the reason. Next time I need to let it go few weeks more.

The "laundry deterent" strain on the other hand, was stronger and more interesting, more of a mellow social high. Hits quite hard for outdoor stuff. I pollinated a clone of this one with a Double Blanche male. So next year I will grow out these seeds to see if there are any keepers there.

Asentrouw

Also the late pheno has some issues with mold, now the weather gets colder and more wet.

Also I would like to see the strain even earlier and a bit more potent.

Can this be achieved by selection only?

Sadly I have no F2 seeds from this strain yet, because all plants were females. However, I do have some other crosses with the Durban mother I grew out this year for seeds.

Is it possible to throw these in the mix later on to tweak the strain a bit and stabelize after that?

Or would it be better to first stabelize the strain, before hybridizing it further?

Last edited:

Asentrouw

I defoliated the Durban Mango to see if it helps against the mold now the buds are thickening up. Hope to cut it in a few weeks.

I also pollinated a unknown landrace (freebie) with some moliotiko pollen. Beautifull plant with a candy smell, nice narrow leaves, red stems. Came from very tiny seeds. Would love to know what it is.

Attachments

• 20230929_142253.jpg
    20230929_142253.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 56
  • 20230929_142007.jpg
    20230929_142007.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 60

Asentrouw

Had to cut the late pheno also early due to mold. It also seems to need to ripen a bit longer then it's Durban mum. Kinda dissappointing as a outdoor strain this year.

The idea is to make F2 seeds and grow them out in bigger numbers on a guerilla spot, to select on mold resistance.

Asentrouw

I asked a friend to run some of the seeds indoors and make some F2's for me. Here the Durban Mango is quite a different beast.

Starts with some broad leaves, but when it get's bigger, narrow sativa leaves appear. Structure wise the plant takes a lot from it's Durban mother, but with a very delicate Mango smell introduced by the Ierdbei dad.

It grows very fast and vigorous, after switch it started to show hairs extremely fast (matter of a few days). Quite some stretch, the plant almost doubled in size. Good producer, should easily give 1 gram or more per watt. Nice fat nugs full of trichromes. Also a stealth strain; the Mango smell is quite delicate, not very loud.

It needs about 9-10 weeks of flowering untill the trichs turn white and cloudy. Due to cold it got some nice purple and yellow fall colours.

I got a nice pic from my friend, but did not receive any buds yet. When it's sampled, I will give another smoke report. Hopefully these are more potent then the outdoor grows, which were taken to early due to issues with mold. I have good hopes though. It might not (yet) be a good outdoor strain for the rough northern climate, but should do very well in more moderate circumstances.

Attachments

• 20231022_094903.jpg
    20231022_094903.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 49

Asentrouw

Around 9-10 weeks flowering seems to be the sweet spot. Much more potent; the same nice energetic, quite intense and racy head high. The mango taste comes nicely through.

Now waiting for next season to play around with the F2's.

Next in line is to try out the crosses with my "laundry deterent" strain, which seems to be a bit more suitable for the grand outdoors.

Attachments

• 20231015_203830.jpg
    20231015_203830.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46

Asentrouw

Received some seeds Durban Mango F1 x Moliotiko. These have the nicest tigerprint on the seed I came across untill now (see pic). Hopefully the plants are equally beautifull.

The same moliotiko pollen was used on a unknown landrace/heirloom sativa, with great floral/spicy scents. Made great floral hashish. This came from a freebie pack of NorthernGenetics "outdoor mix 2018". For some reason it was a bit hard to fertilize, so only got 4 seeds from that.

After all the pollenchucking this year, it is really going to be hard to choose which experiments to continue breeding with. 😅

Attachments

• 20231107_134923.jpg
    20231107_134923.jpg
    765.7 KB · Views: 40

Asentrouw

Also cut down another experiment from F1 seeds of a pollen chucking plot with different strains, mostly Danish stuff. No clue what it exactly is, but I think there should be some Maroc in there. Had pink pistills, quite small leaves and later on got some nice fall colours. It smells like berries and laundry detergent. Quite special, I really like it. 😂

Quite chunky buds. Could have gone 1-2 weeks more maybe, lost about 5-10% to rot.

I have a clone of it crossed with LBH Double Blanche this year, so might be a nice experiment for next year if the smell carries through.

The problem with this one is it came from a baggie with mixed seeds from a spot in the forest. So it's going to be hard to find the same cross back in those seeds. 🤣

But because I really liked the high and smell on this one, I already made some F2 seeds from this cross with Double Blanche for this year.

However, the cross with Double Blanche did not maintain the nice berry and laundry detergent smell, it smells much more citrus and sour now. Hopefully some individuals in the F2 generation do have it, so it can be bred back.

The Durban Mango I'm still not sure if it's worth to continue, as outdoors mold seems to be a problem end of flowering and potency is not very high (although the high itself is very clear and racy).

All the Durban Mango x Moliotoki I tried went straight full herma on me for some reason. So I don't continue this one. The unknown landrace cross I lost because for some reason the few seeds I had wouldn't hatch. So these get also crossed from the list.

Attachments

• 20240322_153106 (1).jpg
    20240322_153106 (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Abdthi1966

Premium user

You can ultimately run plants to fruition in solo cups to get higher phenotypic variation, and then I would personally isolate all of the 8-9 week male and females crossing all stable parents within this total flowering time band

Abdthi1966

Premium user

You can ultimately run plants to fruition in solo cups to get higher phenotypic variation, and then I would personally isolate all of the 8-9, or 9-10 week male and females crossing all stable parents within this total flowering time band.