What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

DoJ shuts down asset forfeiture program after Congress slashes its budget

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
In America, your belongings can be confiscated by the police without warrant or evidence as proceeds of a crime, and then the government sues your possessions (not you), in lawsuits like "Township of East Bumblefuck vs $50,000 in $100 bills."

If your goods lose the lawsuit, the police get to keep them, and use them (or sell them for operating capital). Police departments waxed fat on this, even making up "shopping lists" of desirable cars, etc, to target.

States have been trying to curb this practice, changing state law so that law enforcement agencies wouldn't get to keep the stuff their seized. But the DoJ wouldn't play along, meaning that cops could still keep stuff by confiscating it under federal, not state law.

Attempts to get the DoJ to play along have proved fruitless. After all, the DoJ got to split the take with local law-enforcement.. So in last week's budget bill, Congress took $1.2 billion away from the DoJ, money that they used to administer the program. Without that subsidy, the program became a money-loser. It is dead.

Read More
On BoingBoing

RoostaPhish

Veteran
If this works it is great! I have said for years that if this wasn't practiced that the war on drugs would end quick, one of the biggest money makers. Some municipalities, like you stated, used this practice ALOT!

B

Bob Green

Fuck I really hope this is true!

For some reason I can't see them giving up all our houses, tv's, cars, boats, money. They get to act like Nazis and keep their hero crowns.

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Unless I'm mistaken, the way I read it was, The Feds have quit sharing with the local agencies not cut it out.
They would give the locals a cut (40% ?) and they would keep the bulk, now they are taking all of it.

circadian clock

yea they wouldn't give me my scale back even after I won my case. anybody remember the ones with the roach clip looking thing that held the bag and u just hold the top.