What's new

Does Size Matter

PadawanWarrior

These 2 identical clones were both planted exactly 3 weeks ago today. I put one in 5 gal of organic soil and one in 15 gal of organic soil. Both have about the same amount of light. The 15 is much bigger of course. I just noticed once again how drastic the difference was so I figured I'd post a couple pics. As long as you water correct I say go big. They almost get big too fast sometimes. I do start in small pots or cells though.

15 gal
WIN_20240619_18_30_26_Pro.jpg

5 gal
WIN_20240619_18_38_53_Pro.jpg

PadawanWarrior

Yes sir the saying "more roots equals more fruits" is correct I think.
Those look sweet!
Peace, negative.
Thanks man. The bigger one just started getting a deficiency that I'm not sure of. I'm guessing maybe zinc. I plucked a leaf off the top if you look close to make sure it wasn't bugs. All good there so it's gotta be a deficiency or something's getting locked out. Yellowing tips and some twisting. Only on new growth. Maybe you have an idea. My plan is to water in some micronutrients next watering.

Forgot to mention I checked the soil pH with a Bluelab and it read 6.9-7.0.

Attachments

• WIN_20240619_18_30_45_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240619_18_30_45_Pro.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 48
  • WIN_20240619_18_30_56_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240619_18_30_56_Pro.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 46
  • WIN_20240619_18_31_04_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240619_18_31_04_Pro.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Rocket Soul

These 2 identical clones were both planted exactly 3 weeks ago today. I put one in 5 gal of organic soil and one in 15 gal of organic soil. Both have about the same amount of light. The 15 is much bigger of course. I just noticed once again how drastic the difference was so I figured I'd post a couple pics. As long as you water correct I say go big. They almost get big too fast sometimes. I do start in small pots or cells though.

15 gal
View attachment 19020089

5 gal
View attachment 19020098
Theres nothing i like more than a good side by side. 5g of coco is a looot of coco, we dont even fill our 3 g/10l to the top. What happened to the rest though?

PadawanWarrior

Theres nothing i like more than a good side by side. 5g of coco is a looot of coco, we dont even fill our 3 g/10l to the top. What happened to the rest though?
I really should have taken a pic with them actually side by side. I was being lazy. The Arctic Cookies (ARC x Cookies and Cream) in the 15 gal is at 6 weeks now. I'm having some fun with coco too. I have a side by side of a Love Affair (GG4 x Alien Rock Candy) in one of my 15 gal no-till pots and another in 5 gal of coco. At first the 15 gal was winning but not anymore. The coco plant is huge now, lol. I need to take a pic. They're at 3 1/2 weeks right now. It's my very first coco grow and so far so good.

Rocket Soul

I really should have taken a pic with them actually side by side. I was being lazy. The Arctic Cookies (ARC x Cookies and Cream) in the 15 gal is at 6 weeks now. I'm having some fun with coco too. I have a side by side of a Love Affair (GG4 x Alien Rock Candy) in one of my 15 gal no-till pots and another in 5 gal of coco. At first the 15 gal was winning but not anymore. The coco plant is huge now, lol. I need to take a pic. They're at 3 1/2 weeks right now. It's my very first coco grow and so far so good.
Please do, ive been meaning to experiment with bigger pots, have some ideas of modding the pots inorder to not mess with watering frequency and watering amount

Also, side by sides done nicely are some of the best grow content, its like crack for the inquisitive grower. Infact they even have a section for it here.

PadawanWarrior

Please do, ive been meaning to experiment with bigger pots, have some ideas of modding the pots inorder to not mess with watering frequency and watering amount

Also, side by sides done nicely are some of the best grow content, its like crack for the inquisitive grower. Infact they even have a section for it here.
Bigger pots make a huge difference. Especially in soil. I go straight to the biggest pot and skip all the transplanting. You might have a bigger rootball by transplanting a bunch but we aren't trying to grow roots, lol. I've heard bigger pots make a difference in coco too but I can't say on that since I don't have much experience with hydro.

I tried to get a decent side by side of the coco vs 15 gal but it's hard to get a good pic. It's my closet and I had to make it light proof so I have a big tarp and Panda Wrap hanging so I can't get a shot from farther back than a couple feet. But I tried last night. You can see which is which though if you look. The 15 gal soil plant is on the far left. It's the little part that's taller than the rest. The coco plant is dominating the space.

I posted the pics here last night.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Plants do grow better when planted in a large container. It's okay if you have just 1 or 2 pots. However, using 5 or more large containers means large quantities of water. Not only is water heavy but water will have to evaporated from the growing area. If I have to bring in 5 gallons of water 2 times a week, the water will have to be removed from the growing environment or the humidity will be too high. Thats a good reason to up-pot from small pots to large pots in sequence.

Porky82

Thanks man. The bigger one just started getting a deficiency that I'm not sure of. I'm guessing maybe zinc. I plucked a leaf off the top if you look close to make sure it wasn't bugs. All good there so it's gotta be a deficiency or something's getting locked out. Yellowing tips and some twisting. Only on new growth. Maybe you have an idea. My plan is to water in some micronutrients next watering.

Forgot to mention I checked the soil pH with a Bluelab and it read 6.9-7.0.
That's zinc deficiency.

moose eater

I used to run 16 plants in 4'x4's in as small as 1200 Classic pots. I was in production mode back then. There was a lot more feeding going on after the first 3/4-month or less in bloom mixes during flower. All plants were run in a 'super crop' configuration with lots of primary colas per plant.

I went to 16 plants in each 4'x4' box in 2000 Classics, then to 2200 Classics. Better results, and more crowded, making moving them more problematic at times, but better.

I now do (5) 7-gallon pots in each 4'x4' when I do grow, anymore (I still have lbs. in the freezer, and I've not been in commercial production mode in several years or more). The plants are happier, the organic amendments in the pots last a lot longer without demanding regular feeding, and the product is better.

I think SOG and similar strategies were almost always geared toward folks who wanted rapid turn-around between veg and end product (perpetual harvest) and were more focused on keeping the Benjamins rolling in, even if their product could've been far better.

Outback Steak House versus the local steak and seafood restaurant with a direct line to the fishermen and the cattle farmers.

Last edited:

PH donner

Well here she is now at 7 weeks. It's under a HLG 100 in 3000k. Not bad for only 100 watts. It's not as light green as the pic makes it look. I haven't figured this camera out yet and can't get it to take decent pics but I keep trying.

To get the right image of the plants in a photo in your tent, it is best to take a photo just before the light comes on.

Looks good! 👌

PadawanWarrior

To get the right image of the plants in a photo in your tent, it is best to take a photo just before the light comes on.

Looks good! 👌
With the LEDs I have I can usually take decent pics with my other cameras. But this Samsung tablet always makes things light green/yellowish. This LED is 3000k so there's a little more yellow than my closet but I can usually still take decent pics with my Surface or cellphone. Here a couple shots I just took with the Surface. It's pretty accurate. The middle directly under the light is actually a little lighter green than the outer colas from the light intensity but not too bad.

WIN_20240821_14_18_31_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240821_14_17_42_Pro.jpg