What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Does cannabis resin contain chitinase ?

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Title says it all, anyone who can answer this question ? Sam, maybe you know ?

haha, I mistyped the title (i'll put the blame on the Arne's HP trim I've just smoked !). It should of course read "contain", and not contant...

Irie !

MrFista

Veteran
Pretty far out question, was it a thought you had? Interesting!

Leads me to ask - can insects detect and avoid chitinase?

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Pretty far out question, was it a thought you had? Interesting!

Well yeah, some thought I've had since quite some time, illustrated byt his photo here

All outdoor growers have found stucked bugs in the buds, and these are usually all dessicated with only exoskeleton left. Makes me wonder indeed...

Leads me to ask - can insects detect and avoid chitinase?

Don't know, maybe some species, but certainly not all.

Irie !

MrFista

Veteran
Interesting. I've had a fair few dead bugs on buds I always thought they got trapped. Is worth looking into no matter the answer at least then you'll know. Anyone got any ideas?

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Chitinase is a compound produced by insect-eating plants and spiders (there are also chitinases in human gastric juices), used to dissolve the insects' exoskeleton and their flesh & organs for absorption.
Bugs I've found stuck in buds were only empty, dessicated carcasses, so i'm wondering...

Irie !

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Not sure, but I suspect the dead bugs were parasited by good bugs?
-SamS

Chitinase is a compound produced by insect-eating plants and spiders (there are also chitinases in human gastric juices), used to dissolve the insects' exoskeleton and their flesh & organs for absorption.
Bugs I've found stuck in buds were only empty, dessicated carcasses, so i'm wondering...

Irie !

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Greetings Sam ! :wave:

Not sure, but I suspect the dead bugs were parasited by good bugs?
-SamS

Indeed, could be a possibility. hmm, should have collected the dead bugs for better examination. Well, I suppose it means I'll have to do more outdoor sessions for more observations eheh...

Irie !

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Many organic farmers use crustacean meal in their raised beds and fields both for it's calcium content as well as it's chitin content.

Chitosan is made from extracting the chitin from the shells of lobster, crabs and shrimp. Oysters, clams, mussels, etc. lack this compound.

Is chitin/chitosan anything close to chitinase?

Just curious.

CC

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Clackamas, indeed, chitin is related to chitinase, in that chitinase is a specific enzyme produced to dissolve the shell of bugs, also made of chitin.

Purple man, I've been wondering since my very first grow almost 20 years ago (although insectivorous would be better than carnivorous, eeek !). These dried, empty bug carcasses bug me if i can say so. Where are the flesh & organs gone ? Sucked up by some other bug (clever at not getting itself stuck), or sucked up by the plant ?
Gonna have to save for a microscope so i can inspect the carcasses i'll collect next season.

Irie !

catcherintheye

My organic worm farmer told me worms have enzymes in their gut to digest parasite eggs and wotnot, he said a plant fed with castings will deter spidermites and this is due to the plant absorbing the enzymes from the worm shit and the mites that much on the plant die or are just deterred from the plant.

I grew outdoor in ffof full of goodies from the ocean so maybe chitin is absored in the plant tissue and the nasty buggers that get stuck are digested or wotnot by the substance. I did notice the bug exoskeletons.

Honkytonk

Dude, you've been wondering for 20 years about chitinase in resin and all you need to test for that is resin and a bug (Well, 2 bugs, one for control.). What's keeping you from doing a little experiment? ;)

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I use many many predators that do suck bad bugs dry or parasite them, or make the pest die from a fungus that then spreads to the rest of the pests and kills them to. You find little dry empty aphid shells the most often, but you can find many other empty dead pests besides aphids, dried up dead and sucked dry or parasited, meaning they had eggs of the good bio-controls laid inside them by the good bugs and when the egg hatched and begin to eat the host, and then burst out of the pests body, leaving behind almost empty pests bodies with an exit wound.
I love watching bugs, both good and bad, but really love the bugs that help control the pests.
-SamS

Must be true cause I backed off the neem this run and pumped lacto b. with worm tea every other day and it looked like mites were just having a hard time getting established, it was awesome to observe. I think I have some type of predatory defense going on as well. Last time I ran hydro could not shake the mites to save my life so there ya go.

My organic worm farmer told me worms have enzymes in their gut to digest parasite eggs and wotnot, he said a plant fed with castings will deter spidermites and this is due to the plant absorbing the enzymes from the worm shit and the mites that much on the plant die or are just deterred from the plant.

I grew outdoor in ffof full of goodies from the ocean so maybe chitin is absored in the plant tissue and the nasty buggers that get stuck are digested or wotnot by the substance. I did notice the bug exoskeletons.

this