What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

do big plants have higher light intensity requirements then little plants ?

C

Collembola

hello,

i was wondering, please if anybody can help ?

Q:

say you germ 2 seeds - plant them outside in the middle of a field, but spaced wide apart (not obscuring eachothers light)

- by flowering one plant is 3x the size of the other.

--------------------

in flowering the little plant visibly exhibits a mass of glandular trichomes, whereas the big plant produces few.

--------------------

> does this have anything to do with the size of the plant (bigger light requirement (OR better light collector ?)) will probably have a greather abundance of floral clusters, so less need for trichs etc etc) ?

or is it exqlusively down to either plants genes for trichome production ?.

thanks!

Genes + environment = product

You want everything as good as it gets so your weed is good
Even seeds that are the same can produce variations if they aren't stabilized.
There are a plethora of factors that come into play.

Hard to say what to take cuttings from until its done...size can imply vigor if that's what you're after

C

Collembola

***2 feminized seed from a single homogenous population.

although, please - no more because again it is still not on question topic

WelderDan

Veteran
It has nothing to do with size. Two seeds from the same mother plant, given the same available light and nutrients can produce plants markedly different in size, structure, terpene profile and trichome coverage. Hybrids especially, but even "landrace" strains can show quite a bit of variation in size, structure and resin production among siblings.

Language barrier here it seems...

There are too many factors to know without being you and knowing what you did.
It could be just the genetics. It could be how you fed them. If they got equal light they should have equal terps if they were fed adequate nutrients. The big plant will need more nutrients to produce the same amoubt of trichomes as the smaller one. I hope I made more sense this time.

How many hours of light so they get?

Well said Dan

C

Collembola

thankyou - i understand the basics of genotype (>environment<) phenotype.

i also understand that "all cannabis plants do not come with high resin production genes"

> do you know if mass of the plant vs light intensity will effect trichome production on a relative scale though -

i.e. > will the mean trichome to flower cluster weight taken from short, low branching specimens from a homogenous population PROBABLY be greater then the yield from tall, large branching siblings etc.

thanks

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
thankyou - i understand the basics of genotype (>environment<) phenotype.

i also understand that "all cannabis plants do not come with high resin production genes"

> do you know if mass of the plant vs light intensity will effect trichome production on a relative scale though -

i.e. > will the mean trichome to flower cluster weight taken from short, low branching specimens from a homogenous population PROBABLY be greater then the yield from tall, large branching siblings etc.

thanks

"siblings" assumes plants are grown in same chamber? with the same light source? is this light source horizontal? above the tallest plant? if so, then the shorter plants will probably produce less trichomes per mass than the taller plants simply because of less intensity overall.

but a room full of shorter plants as opposed to a room full of taller plants, both with proper light management, same genes, will probably produce more total trichomes per plant mass because a higher percentage of the plant mass will be illuminated as compared to the taller plants.

C

Collembola

also, for the next person

- i know that "the middle" denotes only one plant could be planted there............................................

etc etc.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
sorry, i missed the "outside" part. but it's even easier to answer as both plants are getting nearly identical radiation.

if the shorter plant is getting what looks like greater trichome count and density it's simply more genetically disposed to do so.

C

Collembola

thanks!

---------------

do you think it is a "genetic coincidence" that afghan etc "hash producers" are generally short (vs. equatorial sativas etc etc) ?

- or that there is a correlation between size and speed of flowering ? or something else etc ?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
thanks!

---------------

do you think it is a "genetic coincidence" that afghan etc "hash producers" are generally short (vs. equatorial sativas etc etc) ?

- or that there is a correlation between size and speed of flowering ? or something else etc ?

not genetic coincidence but genetic adaptation to their conditions.

i don't think that speed of flowering has much to do with plant size as long as the plant is "mature".

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Assuming your hypothetical seeds came from the same mother plant:

Plant size is dependent upon its ability to produce roots (genes) and use the nutrients that are available to them. A small root mass has less nutrients available within its rhizosphere. (environment)
It is a combination of Genotype + Environment.

Trichome production can be increased or decreased slightly in different environments so I would assume that:
Trichome production is purely a matter of genotype.

I could be wrong however, as I'm in no way a geneticist.

Within a group of seeds (Diesel Ryder), I've observed on a few occasions the smallest plants seemed to be the frostiest.

I can't say this hold true with other varieties.

idiit

Veteran
we need to utilize a concept I call "effective driving distance" of artificial lamps/leds, etc....

fluros have a very short efd. 1000 k lamps have a pretty long efd.

a little plant up on a 'stool' so that it's area is getting the same lumens as the top of the bigger plant would eliminate the possible conjecture of genetic differences.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh yeah...

Bigger plants and smaller plants all require light for photosynthesis but...

Size is irrelevant!

Plants are amazing! They can adapt & adjust to what they're given.

Latest posts

Latest posts