What's new

Disposing of HPS bulbs, fire????

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Do I need to worry about throwing out HPS bulbs starting a fire?? Sodium reaction with water can start a fire. Is there enough in an HPS bulb to do that??
Do not want to throw out it if they put in garbage truck and crush, and cause a fire. Would imagine some members must have broken bulbs accidentally. Wondering if any started on fire.

Loc Dog

Veteran
take QB LeD is much better then HPS

I did switch to LED, Vero 29 Gen 7's. Need to move soon and have tons of bulbs. Just do not want the garbage truck catching on fire, if there is enough sodium in the bulbs to start a fire. I have done google searches, and not seen anything about the bulbs starting fire, except for ones that burst while running.

I am just going to assume they are safe to throw in garbage, unless someone posts something to the contrary.

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
I did switch to LED, Vero 29 Gen 7's. Need to move soon and have tons of bulbs. Just do not want the garbage truck catching on fire, if there is enough sodium in the bulbs to start a fire. I have done google searches, and not seen anything about the bulbs starting fire, except for ones that burst while running.

I am just going to assume they are safe to throw in garbage, unless someone posts something to the contrary.

the bulbs witch made for HPS is only to use for 1 year (4-5 runs) and Led are not give qualtiy up if from a good company for 10 or 50.000 hours of light :tiphat:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Not all HPS lamps are for a year. The Phillips CG is maybe 5% less efficient than others on day one, but maintains that output while others loose a lot more than 5%, and die. The CG is still going strong even after that. You can expect something like twice the life from them, before they are ready for replacement. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it's very significant.

Fire isn't the only issue. Most contain mercury. They're not domestic waste at all.

Here in Europe, the weee regs have the manufactures adding disposal costs into the sale price of lamps. Then giving the revenue to a 3rd party to collect and recycle the lot. The local electrical wholesaler will have a skip you can chuck them in. Some ask a small fee for consignment paperwork, while others just let you chuck in whatever. My local Edmundson's are really good about it (UK)

Loc Dog

Veteran
Not all HPS lamps are for a year. The Phillips CG is maybe 5% less efficient than others on day one, but maintains that output while others loose a lot more than 5%, and die. The CG is still going strong even after that. You can expect something like twice the life from them, before they are ready for replacement. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it's very significant.

Fire isn't the only issue. Most contain mercury. They're not domestic waste at all.

Here in Europe, the weee regs have the manufactures adding disposal costs into the sale price of lamps. Then giving the revenue to a 3rd party to collect and recycle the lot. The local electrical wholesaler will have a skip you can chuck them in. Some ask a small fee for consignment paperwork, while others just let you chuck in whatever. My local Edmundson's are really good about it (UK)

Here they have waste site open 4 hour every 3 months, and hour drive away, wait on line, and have to worry about them taking down license plate if dropping off grow bulbs.

They hire 5 times as many teachers and cops than are needed, but can not handle waste.

Loc Dog

Veteran
How To Make Sodium Metal

[youtubeif]seSg_GWj1b0[/youtubeif]

That is exactly why I worried about throwing out bulbs. Did not know it could be made from lye and magnesium. Did know lye is very volatile.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
The sodium is in the gas so if it will combust it will do so from water vapor in the air when the bulb is broken but I don't see that happening and doubt it will start a fire.

Loc Dog

Veteran
The sodium is in the gas so if it will combust it will do so from water vapor in the air when the bulb is broken but I don't see that happening and doubt it will start a fire.

From my google search, the only fire I ran across was on a fire investigation site, and the bulb was running, burst and the hot insides set a couch on some other stuff on fire. A good reason to switch to LED's. Not sure how common that is. Post was from 2001 in Australia.

Weaboo

They have about as much chance catching fire as Trump does getting impeached

nice

picture.php

Three Berries

We use to get sodium metal . Came packed in kerosene. We would throw marble sized chunks in the river and they would fizz then BOOM, float up some bass and catfish.