What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Del. Holmes Norton on Marijuana: ‘De Facto Legal for Most Americans'

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-District of Columbia) defended D.C.’s new marijuana laws to lawmakers Wednesday saying that the drug “is de facto legal for most Americans.”

“The majority language in the appropriation bill said that the district couldn’t enact marijuana laws – the law was enacted,” Norton said on the House floor. “When approved by the voters there was nothing further to be done.”
“Small amounts of marijuana became legal in the district – smoked in private –on Thursday. D.C. has taken no further official action in compliance with the law,” Norton continued. “The most important impetus for passage by residents were two independent studies that show that virtually all of those who now carry marijuana convictions are young African-Americans, that was the last straw for a substance that is de facto legal for most Americans.”
“D.C. passage is neutral on its face - it doesn’t recommend the substance we ought to have the same liberty other Americans already enjoy on this substance,” Norton concluded.
Some lawmakers have claimed the omnibus spending bill that Congress passed in December nullified D.C.’s Initiative 71, which legalized up to two ounces of marijuana for personal possession and allows for its use on private property.
The spending bill included an amendment introduced by Rep. Andy Harris (R-Md.) that says, "None of the funds contained in this Act may be used to enact any law, rule, or regulation to legalize or otherwise reduce penalties associated with the possession, use, or distribution of any schedule I substance."
“Pot is de facto legal among young people, except for people of color here and around the country,” Norton says on her website.
“The people of the District of Columbia voted overwhelmingly for Initiative 71 when they learned that virtually only people of color end up with drug arrests for possession of marijuana. It is well worth a fight to retain a local law with racial justice as its centerpiece.”
http://cnsnews.com/blog/eric-scheiner/del-holmes-norton-marijuana-de-facto-legal-most-americans

TheArchitect

Veteran
Come on,

Its not only black people.

I'm white, I have a cannabis felony.

We shouldn't even be bringing race into the issue, its a general human rights issue.

TheArchitect

Veteran
whoosh - the sound of something flying over your head...

Lol, don't get me wrong I'm not trying to start that argument, it just bothers me when it becomes racial. I get the system is prejudiced against blacks, but whenever that argument is brought up wrt legalization it seems more like pandering to their constituents than actual care for people who were fucked by a corrupt and immoral system of laws.

BTW

FUCK THE HOR AND SENATE.

TheArchitect

Veteran
As an aside, did you read the comment section?

Holy crap there are some seriously eff'd up people out there

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Come on,

Its not only black people.

I'm white, I have a cannabis felony.

We shouldn't even be bringing race into the issue, its a general human rights issue.

The problem I see with your argument is that...

It is a FACT that these laws were made for the express purpose of initiating a race war!

Why other reason would Henry Anslinger have for even bringing up that "blacks" & "mexicans" are commiting "apparent crimes" on whites.

Your argument against the race card holds no water.

BTW, I'm a W.A.S. American.

TheArchitect

Veteran
The fact that some bigot almost 100 years ago used race to passed laws has nothing to do with my point.

Bringing race into the issue the way the representative did was unnecessary, and isn't even factual. Yes cops profile, how bout don't dress like a drug dealing thug. When I stopped dressing like a thug I stopped being harrased by the police.

My point is we need to fight the laws because they are wrong, and are bad for everyone not just some poor black kid that got a dope charge.

A unified front is better than a disjointed group who is divided by race creed or religion

Pendleton

Pointing out the fact the law is disproportionately enforced doesn't mean we aren't united. The representative from DC is likely expressing his views on the matter because Washington D.C. is majority black. That's his modus operandi as a delegate.

Genghis Kush

The "Drug War" was created to specifically suppress minorities.

After slavery ended, the Jim Crow laws where enacted in order to retain "control" over the formerly enslaved.
After the civil rights movement and the end of Jim Crow, the freedom that followed for African Americans had to be diverted. "They" needed a way to keep the black man down.
Nixon and his "Drug War" was the way forward.
By federally criminalizing normal behavior, it was ensured that a large percentage of African American males would end up with criminal records and be kept out of god jobs and be kept from voting.
They also flooded the ghettos with cheap Heroin and the Cocaine.
They control the international drug market.
The "Drug War" is a war on minorities.
The effect on society at large (white people) is a byproduct of the war.
"Collateral damage", as they say.

Latest posts

Latest posts