What's new

Deer in your garden! (easy and effective repellent Recipe/ technique)

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Deer repellent Recipe
You will need:
* 2 1/2 pounds bloodmeal (a slaughterhouse by-product)
* Water
* Ammonia
* Block material florists use to secure flower arrangements

Mix 2 1/2 pounds of bloodmeal (just estimate half of a 5-pound bag) into a normal size bucket (2 gallon/8 liter) that is about 1/2 full of water.
Stir well, add 1 cup of ammonia, and keep stirring.

Cut green florist block (Oasis) into big cubes and place each cube on a stake, so that the cubes will end up about 28 inches (browsing height) off the ground.

Dip the staked cubes into the bucket and let them sit there for a while and get really saturated.
Place the stakes about six feet apart around plants you wish to protect.

Resaturate the cubes every couple of weeks or after heavy rain.

:)

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Companion Gardening (plants that deer don't care for)

Companion Gardening (plants that deer don't care for)

Plants Deer Like the Least.

Deer don't much like serviceberry, barberry, bayberry, butterfly bush, bee balm, boxwood, crape myrtle, English hawthorn, lilacs, spring blooming forsythia or wisteria...

Flowers and herbs they don't really care for include:
ageratum, astilbe, daisies, feverfew, purple coneflower (aka Echinacea), snapdragons, wax begonias, cleome, dahlias, morning glories, geraniums, blanket flower, heliotrope, four-o'clocks, forget-me-nots, yarrow, columbine, marigolds, bleeding heart, foxglove, hyacinths, iris, lavender, lobelia, lupines, lily of the valley, sweet alyssum, spearmint - most members of the mint family, in fact - Bells of Ireland, Canterbury bells, delphiniums, daffodils, peonies, poppies, periwinkle, basil, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, sages and salvias, honeysuckle, wisteria and the unpleasantly scented spring bulbs frittileria and ornamental alliums.

They like fescues less than other lawn grasses and tend not to nibble on heather, heath, pachysandra, baby's breath or buttercups.

:)

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
just thought i'd chime in here... planting these companions with your herb isnt a good idea. it will make it more likely that deer will nibble on your herb. i've grown alot of whats listed there and i can tell you that the reason for planting them is for thier own resistence to deer. they are great for use in ornamental gardens where other plants would be decimated by deer problems, but planting a bunch of stuff like this with herb would just make the herb stand out all the more to them. in areas where there is drought this can actually have the opposite of the desired effect, instead attracting deer and focusing thier attention on the one thing in your garden you dont want them to eat

with regards to scents, there are a number of scents that can be used but the important thing to remember is that scents should be rotated every couple weeks as deer will become accustomed to scents over a period of time. rotating keeps them spooked.
any number of things can be used. moth balls, soap flakes, predator urine, blood meal as mentioned above.

i like the stake idea and am sure it can be put to use with all the scents mentioed.

smokinjoe

I started last year with 25 plants and ended up with 4 ! The GD deer ate almost all of em. This year I bought a roll of chicken wire, bought some olive green outdoor paint and a 1" nap roller from Lowe's. I rolled the wire with the paint, and made cages about as round as a garbage can lid and put one over every one of my plants. Once they reached 4' I took off the chicken wire. This year, NOT ONE of my plants were eaten, and we have a bunch of deer around here !! The 1" nap roller is important, because it coats the wire on both sides with just one swipe of the roller. The chicken wire is invisible until you get a bout 6 feet or so from it. Give it a try, it sure worked for me.

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
good point sj,
i also used chicken wire but when i bought it it already had a green rubber coating on it. but you are absolutely right in that it works wonders in protecting young tender plants

JACKBAYBEH

I haven't grown outdoor in a good number of years now, but
the last few years that I did I used a product that was basically
straight coyote piss. The brand name escapes me but the bottle
came with these little golf tees that had sponges glued to the
tops. I put these around the perimeter of my patches and made
sure to saturate them every so often. Not only did it keep the deer at bay but also all the other little furry woodland creatures
that munch on your dope. The only thing worse than deer eating
your plants is hunters stealing them in the fall IMHO. It always
amazed me how the deer would sniff out my plants, I mean there
were times when I would have trouble finding them myself the
first time I would check on them after planting. It's not like there's
a lack of green foliage in the woods during the spring. Bastards!!

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Predator pee in a bottle

Predator pee in a bottle

Fox, Coyote, Wolf, Bobcat and Mountain Lion Pee in a handy squeeze bottle :D

What I want to know, how do they get 'em to pee in the bottle? hehe :D

Shake-Away Fox Urine Powder blends the effectiveness of fox urine with our patent-pending powder formula, to create the safest, simplest, most effective, 100% organic method to keep pesky animals away. Fox urine powder works longer, smells stronger, and won't soak into the ground, evaporate or freeze like liquid fox urine. [The company also makes coyote urine powder too.]
Shake-away fox urine powder

Last edited:

JACKBAYBEH

Thanks for the link I.M. Good look'in out! This next spring I'm
planning on venturing back out into the woods for my first
outdoor run in about 4yrs. I'll definately give that coyote powder
a shake. Jack

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
fishin line, ye, i been told thast, a line at ankle level, and a line at neck level should keep em out

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
moth balls are easy to get and work amazingly well when hung at bout stomach level on other bushes around your grow and then a few tossed on the ground around your plants ....... ive always had much more trouble with the hunters then the deer

Latest posts

Latest posts