What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

DA candidate calls for no arrest for marijuana

Sforza

Veteran
Democratic nominee for DA instead would enforce community service, letting officers take on more crimes

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...calls-for-no-arrest-for-marijuana-5647007.php

"Kim Ogg, the Democratic nominee for Harris County district attorney, said Friday she will ticket and enforce community service for, instead of arrest and jail, thousands of people arrested each year in Houston for low-level marijuana possession."

"Her opponent, District Attorney Devon Anderson, responded by saying her office is working on a similar program. She issued a statement agreeing that low-risk offenders are straining resources of the community and the county needs an alternative program."

So now we have both the Democrat and Republican DA candidates in one of the most redneck cities in the country fighting over who can save the city the most money by not arresting people for small amounts of pot.

This seems like a good omen to me.

FLAgreenthumb

Its very slowly becoming the smart political position to respect peoples civil liberties and be conservative in how you spend the money that is entrusted to you by the people you work for....
I'm grateful for progress.... but call me greedy, I still DEMAND more!!

“Prohibition... goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes... A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.”

Abraham Lincoln

not only the principles that this nation was founded on, but the basic common laws of nature....

I'm done ranting now...lol it truly is nice to see progress like this...

Peace

Hoppie

armedoldhippy

Veteran
why not just take the next step & do like New Hampshire (I think) has done? ANY cannabis offense is a maximum $100 fine, no jail, no community service. once they come up with a test that actually measures your ability to safely drive rather than some out of thin air % in your blood of THC, we will be getting somewhere. now if we can just get rid of random testing for metabolites at the workplace & getting folks fired over what they did two weeks ago while on vacation...:ying: