What's new

Converting to Organic Soil

Rgd

Veteran
farm animals won’t eat it..[for long]

that said..its a lovely root..soil holder around ponds

I repeat:

once planted you will never get rid of it..

love comfrey

theBeaver

Thanks for responding @Rgd. I don't have any farm animals, so using comfrey as animal fodder does not affect me.

I found this article to be most educational on comfrey

Timj

Nice plant's @theBeaver. Once you establish your comfrey you can keep taking cuttings and root them directly into some no-till medium. I just take a growing tip about 4" long and stick it in a solo cup with some rooting hormone and within a few weeks it will have roots.

theBeaver

Nice to hear from you @Timj. I am really looking forward to incorporating comfrey into my compost, and in time into my worm bin and soil mix.

Timj

Nice to hear from you @Timj. I am really looking forward to incorporating comfrey into my compost, and in time into my worm bin and soil mix.
Good to see you over here @ theBeaver. Dandelions are going to start popping up soon. They make a great tea for our outside plants. The dandelion tea does stink pretty bad. But, the plants love it.

theBeaver

The dandelions are already starting to bloom here @Timj. Do you pull the dandelions including the tap root, or just use the above ground foliage to make your dandelion tea? I'm seeing some stinging nettles coming up too. I think I'll start making some nettle tea! Have you ever made comfrey tea? I bet that would be some dynamite stuff!

Timj

The dandelions are already starting to bloom here @Timj. Do you pull the dandelions including the tap root, or just use the above ground foliage to make your dandelion tea? I'm seeing some stinging nettles coming up too. I think I'll start making some nettle tea! Have you ever made comfrey tea? I bet that would be some dynamite stuff!
I pull the whole root on 50% of the dandelions I use for teas. I like to keep some roots in the ground for the following year. The other 50% are just the above ground flower and foliage. I've also made nettles tea and I've harvest lots of Nettles and dried them under a 10'x10' canopy and broke them down into a meal for adding to my worm bins and soil mixes. I've also made comfrey tea. That will have the most stink of any tea. But, dandelions is a close second. All of the teas,meals and KNF inputs I've made I posted over on the other site we both belong to. Either in my journal there or in the KNF thread.

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
I read the "Organics for Beginners" thread in it's entirety. All 5,928 posts. Much respect for @Burn1 for starting this thread. I also devoured Jeff Lowenfels book "Teaming With Microbes" and am a firm believer in the Soil Food Web.

For this current grow I have 9 clones in 3 gal. grow bags in a 4x4 tent. This my 1st time flowering in 3 gallon grow bags. There are 8 cuts of Planet of the Grapes and a single Gorilla Glu

Many thanks,
theBeaver

I just found this thread. Very nice Organic grow...K+ Your OP giving respecxt to burn1 is golden.

Jeff Lowenfels's Teaming series (four books) should be mandatory for any organic grower who wants to understand the soil food web. It looks like you're applying the information with great success.

theBeaver

I pull the whole root on 50% of the dandelions I use for teas. I like to keep some roots in the ground for the following year. The other 50% are just the above ground flower and foliage. I've also made nettles tea and I've harvest lots of Nettles and dried them under a 10'x10' canopy and broke them down into a meal for adding to my worm bins and soil mixes. I've also made comfrey tea. That will have the most stink of any tea. But, dandelions is a close second. All of the teas,meals and KNF inputs I've made I posted over on the other site we both belong to. Either in my journal there or in the KNF thread.

I want to try drying comfrey leaves and using them in my worm bins and soil mixes. I just need to wait for my 3 little comfrey plants to grow a bit more.
wink.jpg

theBeaver

I just found this thread. Very nice Organic grow...K+ Your OP giving respecxt to burn1 is golden.

Jeff Lowenfels's Teaming series (four books) should be mandatory for any organic grower who wants to understand the soil food web. It looks like you're applying the information with great success.

Thank you for having a look at my thread @growsjoe1! I am currently reading the Teaming with Nutrients book. I have a bit of trouble understanding the organic chemistry aspects. Takes me back to my school days...

ost

Time for an update. The ladies are now 51 days into flower. The fan leaves are starting their fade. The 8 Planet of the Grapes are really starting to show their purple colors. The lone Gorilla Glue looks like she will finish first.

View attachment 18979726
Overhead shot

View attachment 18979727
Canopy shot

View attachment 18979728
Gorilla Glue bud shot

View attachment 18979729
Planet of the Grapes bud shot

View attachment 18979731
The Planet of the Grapes clones are starting to foxtail. I've never had this happen before. Is in environmental or genetic? This is the Planet of the Grapes RBX by Ethos. If anyone is familiar with this variety, I'd love to hear their thoughts.

Thanks for looking folks! I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions.
never got to try 'em

theBeaver

I haven't checked trichs in a while. The ladies are now 66 days of 12/12 lighting. I don't usually let my trichs get this amber, but I have harvested too early in the past and been disappointed in the resulting high.

20240411_Trichs_PlGr_01.jpg

20240411_Trichs_PlGr_03.jpg

I will be harvesting tomorrow morning. Should have early samples ready by 4/20!

Latest posts

Latest posts