What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Companion planting.. Ever heard of it??

gobyebye

I've read in another tread, that companion planting could help increase Trichome production if you stress the companion plant making it relase defensive hormones to protect itself, and would cause the cannabis to do the same(increasing trichomes). I wanna know if anyone has tried this, and how it worked..also what would be the best strain of companion plant?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Companion plants or mixed cultures are used in organic farming because each plant has unique features which sometimes influence the environment and neighbouring plants as well. This is mediated by volatile organic compounds and so called phytoalexins. These have repellent or toxic effects on herbivorous animals or attraction of beneficial insects but also inhibit competing neighbouring plants (some times all, sometimes just other species or only the same species).
A danger signal released by one stressed plant may be sensed by others but that depends on both species and the signalling molecule involved. There is no fixed rule! Generally, you can say that the indirect stress signal has a weaker impact on the neighbours than the stress itself on the first target. I don't know which signals are released by what plant that could be sensed by cannabis.

Rhizobiaceae (nitrogen fixating bacteria) in fabaceae (beans and peas) has nothing to do with that! Fixed nitrogen is not readily available to neighbouring plants but only after some months; that's why farmers plant lucerne on fallow land and plough prior to seeding field crops the following year.

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you are producing via hydroponic means: inputting a nutrient sensitive plant will allow for earlier detection of deficiency.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Companion plants or mixed cultures are used in organic farming because each plant has unique features which sometimes influence the environment and neighbouring plants as well. This is mediated by volatile organic compounds and so called phytoalexins. These have repellent or toxic effects on herbivorous animals or attraction of beneficial insects but also inhibit competing neighbouring plants (some times all, sometimes just other species or only the same species).
A danger signal released by one stressed plant may be sensed by others but that depends on both species and the signalling molecule involved. There is no fixed rule! Generally, you can say that the indirect stress signal has a weaker impact on the neighbours than the stress itself on the first target. I don't know which signals are released by what plant that could be sensed by cannabis.

Rhizobiaceae (nitrogen fixating bacteria) in fabaceae (beans and peas) has nothing to do with that! Fixed nitrogen is not readily available to neighbouring plants but only after some months; that's why farmers plant lucerne on fallow land and plough prior to seeding field crops the following year.

I have just been watching this video:

(YOUTUBE) Cannabis Companion Planting with Stinging Nettle Part 1

I would like to know:

1) Does anyone know how a living stinging nettle plant could feed cannabis - what is the mechanism?

2) Where do the stinging nettle's nutrients come from?

It sort of makes sense, when you see how little if any fertilizer wild plants need to grow.

I'm interested in the approaches of Masanobu Fukuoka, and Sampson Morgan (Bread From Stones). So if you could feed cannabis through companion plants, that would be a leap forward.

Latest posts

Latest posts