What's new

Cloned cats that GLOW?! WTF!?

-BG-

Yes, read the article...this is some seriously ****ed up shit...South Korea's Ministry of Science and Technology cloned cats that glow in the dark...The cats appear normal in visible light, but their skin glows red under ultraviolet light...cats genes have been altered so that they glow in the dark...so, what's next...flying dogs perhaps?!?

Glowing cats are not cool..!

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/12/13/514602.aspx?GT1=10645

Echoes

Hell yeah, sign me up. Now I won't trip over the cat constantly when I'm walking to the bathroom at night.

Just kidding. This is sort of a strange experiment. Don't really see the validity or application of these experiments.

G

glowing under black light isn't the same as glowing in the dark but still it's ****in crazy

TwoOhSix!

Echoes said:
Hell yeah, sign me up. Now I won't trip over the cat constantly when I'm walking to the bathroom at night.

Just kidding. This is sort of a strange experiment. Don't really see the validity or application of these experiments.
It shows that they can alter genetic code and clone genetically altered animals, paving the way for more complex alterations.

Echoes

Understood, but why?

Understood, but why?

TwoOhSix! said:
It shows that they can alter genetic code and clone genetically altered animals, paving the way for more complex alterations.

Obviously, but UV-light glowing cats? That's really the first thing that came to their minds? I know a similar experiment was done with tobacco plants. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_v130/ai_4563835 Just strikes me as strange. Bravo on the scientific achievement, I suppose?

Also thought this was pretty nifty: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5375900.stm They bred a set of cats (no genetic splicing or cloning involved) to be hypoallergenic.

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
now by no means am i a pet person. in my life, they have their place and i have mine. but this is taking things a bit far. you'd hope that they would find a better way to test things on animals if not at all, but this now is strange. now the scinetific mind may find a use for them , who knows, but for right now.. . very creepy.

G

HAHA dude i just saw this!! This blows my mind!!! I was going to make a thread about and when i came here someone already made it. But wow this is so very cool and interesting. So i wonder if it can be done to humans?

B

Boxy Brown

all they did was insert into the cats embryo the gene that makes certain jelly fish glow, so far its been done to rats, pigs, and fish.

greenpigs.jpg

Last edited:
G

Boxy Brown said:
all they did was insert into the cats embryo the gene that makes certain jelly fish glow, so far its been done to rats, pigs, and fish.

greenpigs.jpg

but it says that the cats glow under black lights, they don't just glow in the dark anywhere without UV light. but the fish aren't glowing under UV they're actually producing light, i'd think, cuz i know there's no black lights under the ocean lol.