What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Clip on fans

Hell9

anyone know where to get em? talkin approx 7", but you know the ones, small, and clip-on rather than standup one..

if mentioning retailers is a prob fire me a pm...appreciate it..

B

BOSCO

Shops that sell truck parts/accessories should have them or order over the internet

Last edited by a moderator:

Ca++

China is starting to slip us EC motor clip fans, using ball bearings, not the sleeve bearings that fail in the usual clip fans. 10 speed, with a usb-c for remote controller operation. These are still on the wholesale sites not consumer one's, but we can get just one.

This is probably no cheaper than the US already has them, but in the UK, and I guess the EU, we see the US fans for £40 upwards, plus £20 postage. Then the taxes. It's unbearable. The link is £30 delivered. Double what a normal clip fan costs, but will last over twice as long, and is technically better. Much less vibration. No 50hz vvvvvvvvv noise on the air. 10 speeds, that go lower for little jobs.

I'm going to get a sample, but it's 6 weeks. In that time, aliexpress should have them.

Edit: Balls mean any orientation. Nobody tends to tell us that sleeve bearings are good until about 15 degree's from horizontal. They can't look down at 30 degrees, as we often ask of them. The bearing surface, is no longer bearing all the weight. Death is then months away, at best.

Last edited by a moderator:

driver77

420club
Edit: Balls mean any orientation. Nobody tends to tell us that sleeve bearings are good until about 15 degree's from horizontal. They can't look down at 30 degrees, as we often ask of them. The bearing surface, is no longer bearing all the weight. Death is then months away, at best.
Thanks for the insight! Makes perfect sense and explains why some of my cheap fans have failed and ones still working that was set horizontal.

Absorber

I got tired of the clip on ones stuffing up and needing multiple fans in a 4ft² tent so i purched This one its a Dimplex fan it can rotate 360°+ and tilt to 90° and it has a random " natural simulation" setting aswell as multiple speeds. It sits on the floor in the middle of the tent and blows everywhere in the tent .
Screenshot_20241008-003127_eBay.jpg

Ca++

I got tired of the clip on ones stuffing up and needing multiple fans in a 4ft² tent so i purched This one its a Dimplex fan it can rotate 360°+ and tilt to 90° and it has a random " natural simulation" setting aswell as multiple speeds. It sits on the floor in the middle of the tent and blows everywhere in the tent .
View attachment 19079862
Unfortunately I got a broken one, but for about £100 we can get these with EC motors. Perhaps this is one of them? It's got a lot info on the front. Buttons for the bat headphones, communism, lights out warning, win8 homescreen, and some sort of penetration I wouldn't want to press. Then a longer row of brightness, contrast, and I presume the mitsubishi button is for rave level performance.
I should note the fan I posted, has no oscillation. This might be a deal breaker for some, but it's usually the bit that starts to cause rhythmic noise.
I might have a toy about with switching banks of fans. A way of changing airflow a bit, without physical movement. Your fan might do the wave thing? Where the motor power is varied, to give a more natural breeze without moving the fan off it's target.

I have had long term reliability from a Dimplex branded fan, but it was over-powered for it's size. It couldn't trickle along quietly. It was also twice the price I wanted, but the only stock left in the autumn clearance. They can sell good stuff.

Remember folks, the hardware shops are selling these off right now. Then we will have a winter of discontent. Having to buy by post.

Latest posts

Latest posts