What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Can’t tell if I have pest or pathogen problem

waydoisrad

Outdoor

Assorted bag seed and freebies

Started in indoors in coco, transplanted into 1 and 5 gal fabric pots at different points all after summer solstice

DIY super soil, didn’t seem so be hot enough so I’ve been feeding dr bloom 444 and fish shit

Zone 6

Fed half of them with compost tea that may or may not have went anaerobic (didn’t smell any different but brewed for almost a whole 72hrs on accident)

Issue is I’m having leaves die back but in different ways i know my containers are too small but that doesn’t make sense why my leaves and branches are browning and/or looking like they’re munched off by something with a dirty mouth lol. The plants that are yellowing aren’t the ones with the damaged growth tips

Also they just took a pounding from the rain so please ignore the droop

Attachments

• IMG_2311.jpeg
    IMG_2311.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2310.jpeg
    IMG_2310.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2309.jpeg
    IMG_2309.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2308.jpeg
    IMG_2308.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2307.jpeg
    IMG_2307.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2306.jpeg
    IMG_2306.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2305.jpeg
    IMG_2305.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2304.jpeg
    IMG_2304.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2303.jpeg
    IMG_2303.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2302.jpeg
    IMG_2302.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

waydoisrad

More pics

Attachments

• IMG_2301.jpeg
    IMG_2301.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2300.jpeg
    IMG_2300.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2299.jpeg
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2298.jpeg
    IMG_2298.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2297.jpeg
    IMG_2297.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2296.jpeg
    IMG_2296.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2293.jpeg
    IMG_2293.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 29

waydoisrad

See the single fan leaf finger completely dying? And growth tips looking singed or chewed off even

Attachments

• IMG_2316.jpeg
    IMG_2316.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2315.jpeg
    IMG_2315.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2314.jpeg
    IMG_2314.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2313.jpeg
    IMG_2313.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2317.jpeg
    IMG_2317.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2318.jpeg
    IMG_2318.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Make sure you have a magnifying loop and look closely under the leaves for pests. I would put one of the sick plants in a drain tray and on the next watering day catch some run off and test it. If you don't know what the EC or pH is, then you are only guessing. Guessing and adding stuff can make things much worse. If you test the leachate from the beginning to the end you will spot what the problem is.

Leachate is defined as any contaminated liquid that is generated from water percolating through a solid waste disposal site, accumulating contaminants, and moving into subsurface areas. Google

The best way to test is to wait an hour or two after the plants have been watered on watering day. After the containers are wet, and you wait, add 500 ml of distilled water and catch it. If the plants were watered correctly you should get back 500 ml of leachate to test. Using distilled water will always yield true test results.

Last edited:

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Started in indoors in coco, transplanted into 1 and 5 gal fabric pots at different points all after summer solstice

DIY super soil, didn’t seem so be hot enough so I’ve been feeding dr bloom 444 and fish shit

Zone 6

Fed half of them with compost tea that may or may not have went anaerobic (didn’t smell any different but brewed for almost a whole 72hrs on accident)

Issue is I’m having leaves die back but in different ways i know my containers are too small but that doesn’t make sense why my leaves and branches are browning and/or looking like they’
1. Repot into larger pots.
2. Prune the plant back to it's essential branches.
3. Flip them into flower.

Outdoor

Assorted bag seed and freebies

Zone 6

Issue is I’m having leaves die back but in different ways i know my containers are too small but that doesn’t make sense why my leaves and branches are browning and/or looking like they’re munched off by something with a dirty mouth lol. The plants that are yellowing aren’t the ones with the damaged growth tips

Also they just took a pounding from the rain so please ignore the droop

Besides the possible pH problem that is already mentioned. Do plants get an adequate dryback? Check if bottom of your pots are soggy.