What's new

cannabis rasta and confusion with cannabis taxonomy

zamalito

Veteran
I somewhat consider this a continuation of the thread I started concerning the mythical afghan sativa which got off topic a bit towards the end. Hopefully collectively we can clear up some of this confusion.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=25927

So probably quite a few of you read these university studies on mitochondrial dna of cannabis varieties that came out last september. They said that all of the high thc equatorial sativa varieties shared a common ancestery separate from sativa and considered these different from cannabis sativa and indica and decided to name this new subspecies cannabis rasta . The fact that they strayed away from the standard greek or latin used for taxonomy shows this study is probably more hype than anything else. Here's a modern list of the possible subspeicies of cannabis. Many of these are accepted by some people and not by others. I don't think anyone accepts all of these as possible subspecies but many accept at least two.

cannabis ssp indica: of hindu kush origin and bred for hashish production.

Cannabis ssp afghanica: also bred for hashish production some consider this separate from cannabis indica. Contains central asian landrace that are considered by others as cannabis indica.

Cannabis ssp sativa: contains all hemp varieties and considered by most to also contain equatorial drug varieties of asia africa and the americas

Cannabis ssp rasta: drug strains that used to be considered part of cannabis sativa sharing a common ancestry different from cannabis ssp. sativa Probably still is cannabis sativa

Cannabis ssp ruderalis: northern autoflowering varieties of low thc and fiber content. Considered by some as part of cannabis indica or afghanica.

I'd really like to get some of your opinions on this study. Though I do not doubt that many of the high thc sativa drug strains share a common ancestry that does not mean they are not sativas. Personally I feel the best way to separate the subspecies is on the basis of what traits they take on when they escape cultivation in various climates and how they acclimate over several generations. This is a common tool used by botanists for this purpose. Differences of this type can only be created by populations being separated for a very long period close to the length required to cause the populations to become separate species. Subspecies definitions based on flowering period, chemotype, fiber content, or leaf width get into pretty grey areas and can vary based on the growth conditions of a given specimen.

The main reason I feel this criteria is accurate is the difficulty seed companies are facing producing an equatorial industrial hemp variety.

Having an equatorial industrial hemp variety could solve many of the problems facing tropical farmers. Many of these farmers grow rice to feed their families and have no reason to produce more than their families require because the only people they have access to sell their crops to are other farmers who farm to feed their families. Also rice requires much irrigation and can only be done in already crowded lowland farming areas. A tropical hemp variety will allow these farmers to use any extra crop they can produce to be used to make hemp which is a marketable industrial raw material. Also unlike rice hemp requires less irrigation and can be grown in highland areas. Since all of the available commercial hemp varieties are for higher latitude attempts to cultivate them in equatorial climates causes the plants to flower almost immediately. In hemp production this is a no no because flowering causes the stems to lignify (anyone that has tried to bend the stem of a flowering plant has probably noticed that it is much more brittle than it is during the vegetative stage of growth ). Thus the seed companies searched out remnant equatorial hemp left from the days when it was used for ship repair to be used as breeding stock in the creation of a tropical hemp. What they found was very interesting. The only remnant tropical hemp they could find all had a fiber content lower than 20% (much less than remnant hemp of high latitude) and thc content around 3% (much higher than remnant hemp varieties of high latitude) this to me shows that plants of the sativa subspecies if given enough time can produce both drug and hemp varieties without selective breeding done by humans. Perhaps the common ancestry shared by all of the specimens labeled as cannabis ssp. rasta is a group of sativas that had remained in tropical climates for an immensely long time along with the benefit of selective breeding for drug content by humans. Indicas/ruderalis are a little more complicated. Dj shorts attempts to produce very early flowering varieties from afghan genetics consistently produced autoflowering low thc ruderalis like phenos. Though they aren't low thc many of the very early flowering afghanica hybrids are hard to keep mothers of for long periods because they eventually autoflower even under 24/0 hour light cycles. As far as the separation of indica and afghanica this subject is best left to someone else and I hope someone else posts some info concerning.

zamalito

Veteran
Perhaps I should've said thc/cbd ratio in respect to latitude instead of outright thc content. I just dug up the paper by g.r. Barrie webster of winnepeg and leonard sarna of ste anne ca I'm a little busy so ill enter it in tomorrow. But the jist is that thc/cbd ratio is inversely proportional to latitude. However all of the high latitude samples are from north america and europe except for one turkish sample. It also doesn't list the number of samples for easch given area. American weedy hemp has never been bred for low thc content. This should prove to be an interesting discussion however I'm going back to the mtns the day after tomorrow and won't be back except for short visits til the end of the growing season.

Taking into account that american hemp is sufficiently low in thc without being bred to be and hempseeds were spred all around the world equator included that the seed companies are having such difficulty finding a suitable wild specimen and even moreso breeding a suitable variety? I have a link ill try to dig up to.

Last edited:

bythetracks

several posters on overgrow claimed that some of the feral hemp plants they sampled in the american midwest were moderately potent. ie one plant might get you high but the plant next to it might not.

zamalito

Veteran
Instead of entering thc/cbd ratios and latitude. I hope you don't mind I'm being lazy. I'm just gonna refer you to the chart done by E. Small on page 159 of mj botany by clarke. It is a bell curve showing thc/cbd ratio on one axis and latitude on the other. For the northern hemisphere it is an almost perfect bell curve until you get close to the tropics. Also on page 19 of marijuana potency by starks he shows how fiber production limits thc production and that hollow stems facilitate thc production. The hokkaido plants you refer are bred by modern plant breeding techniques and might be pretty far from landrace however I have read multiple sources saying japan does have some pretty potent landrace so maybe I'm wrong and japan is just a sweet spot. Individuals of american hemp can produce moderate thc sometimes however on average their thc/cbd ratio is inveresely proportional and stress on individual plants can increase potency but limit overall thc production by decreasing plant size. I do not doubt that very intensive selective breeding can produce plants of both high fiber and thc content however in the wild the plant has limited resources and must devote to one or the other. Perhaps japan has such a good environement for cannabis it can allow natural selection to select for both (just a guess). I definitely agree with you about the cannabis rasta though it seems to have some political motivation. Even the name seems to cause some bias. I also must disagree with you on the theory that only one 2 genes on one position control thc/cbd ratio and potency. It just doesn't explain the cast array of highs and potencies produced by cannabis grown in an identical environment. Like I said earlier even a seemingly unrelated trait like a hollow stem can to some degree have an effect on thc and cbd production.

Here's a link about the search for equatorial hemp varieties:

http://safariseeds.com/botanical/hemptropical/hemptropical.htm

If you think it is something you can do perhaps you can help the world quite a bit and make some money at the same time. I wish I could participate in this discussion further however this is my last day here for a while. Thank you so much for the discussion and info bro.

zamalito

Veteran
I also must say I feel you are missing the point I am talking about thc/cbd ratios of true landrace sativa. The indoor drug gene pools from europe and the us are almost solely taken from equatorial landrace sativa and cannabis indica of moderate latitude high altitude. This is what I have been saying. You referring to this group of plants shows I am not being clear enough about my point. I find it hard to believe anyone is selecting dutch or american landrace sativa for their thc content. However malawi african tanzanian thai columbian so mexican (north mexican has lower thc/cbd ratios and also rarely appears in our breeding stock) are all commonly used. Indicas can be of higher latitude and still retain chemotype that helps american drug varieties retain chemotype with a less skilled breeder.

I'd also like to refer you to the opium poppy and how the latitude of the region of origin affects the morphine/codeine ratio I feel this is info applies very much to cannabis and thc/cbd ratios

Last edited:

zamalito

Veteran
According to clarke almost all of the landrace cannabis sativa in the americas was brought from european hemp stock. Yet when plotted on a map every drug landrace and every fiber landrace the fiber landraces gradually disappear and are replaced with drug landraces then as you move sout out of the tropics and to the southern tip of south america you get back into fiber landraces. Also look at the thc cbd ratios of higher latitude areas of sativa drug cultivation like greek and turkish hashish or northern mexican cannabis these all of much higher percentages of cbd than their low latitude counterparts. Or look at gc analysis results of cannabis with trace or nearly nonexistant cbd levels includes some equatorial african most se asian jamaican some very southern mexican some columbian these are all equatorial areas. If you can find me a northern latitude landrace with only trace cbd levels or less this would convince me.

Last edited:

zamalito

Veteran
Ok you're right about the genetic control of cbg conversion enzymes I concede that, but explain to me how does this apply to the natural selection of thc/cbd ratio and how it relates to latitude. I never said environment in some way overrides the genes. I am saying for some reason environment selects for high cbd or high thc. Another thing I'd like to say is what if all of the plants used in the high cbd low cbd cross all shared a homozygous gene for something else that controlled this characteristic? Would this not produce the same result and mendellian ratio? If it can this is not proof, is it? But even still this is merely a small detail of what I have said and has absolutely no bearing on natural selection and only proves that nature has the ability to select for thc/cbd ratio doesn't it?

Last edited:

zamalito

Veteran
Also north african and mediteranean cannabis consistently produce plants of a 1:1 thc/cbd ratio. Yet these gene pools have not shown to produce the non cbd plants in a frequency high enough required to make a heterozygous cross of this frequency. I concede that if a variety that is homzygous for no cbd acclimates to a high latitude it will not increase its thc/cbd ratio like in the hokkaido speciman. However what about a neville's haze that produces 15% thc and .5% cbd and has a 30:1 thc cbd ratio? Are you saying it is impossible for environment to select for either a higher or lower thc:cbd content? Only a very very small percentage of equatorial drug sativa landrace are completely absent of cbd. For the most part they just have very low cbd. This is stupid to keep arguing over the amount of genes controlling thc/cbd ratio anyway. You are arguing with me about something I never stated in my original post. I said one environment can select for high cbd and another environment can select for low cbd. I never said cbd was not genetically controlled. Nothing you said says it is impossible for environments to select for different chemotypes. And I don't see how you can say this. Thc and cbd serve some roll in cannabis in nature. Just because something is genetically controlled does not mean environment does not select for these genes. Perhaps unlike the non cbd plants low cbd plants behave as I had originally stated. Maybe this is the basis for the cannabis rasta designation. I can understand the theory saying that unlike sativa cannabis rasta has no ability to to allow environment to select for higher cbd plants since it is incapable of producing cbd. However drug sativa types produce at least low amounts of cbd and have the genetic potential to allow environment to select either high or low cbd but not nonexistant. I'm not saying they are different subspecies but that this very possibly the basis for this theory saying they are. I have never read the original studies so I don't know. I'd also like to know your opinion of what the result would be of the cross of a tru breeding strain with a 50:1 thc/cbd ratio and a true breeding no cbd plant and how this would differ from a 1:1 thc/cbd crossed to a no cbd.

Last edited:

zamalito

Veteran
The mendellian laws never prove how many genes control a given trait within a species. They only concern how many genes controlling a trait that are different between the two parents in a cross.

The study you keep citing on the phenotypic inheritance that refers to the bd/bt genes says outright that the study does no experimentation to explore the role of environment in the selection of chemotype. Also the designations used for type 1 type 2 and type 3 are fairly vague and the vagueness could cause problems with using a mendellian law. I'm not saying it isn't true but that this could contribute to other scenarios causing this ratio, could it not? Lets use a fictional example. Say you have two plants that have identical genes for controlling the speed at which it grows in height, however these 2 plants are different in their genes controlling a type of root growth which has a strong effect on height. The genes for root growth on each plant are homozygous and are codominant one is RR for fast root growth the other is rr for slow root growth. This cross would appear by your interpretation of mendellian law would show that there is not only one gene controlling height but also appear to have different genes for height which they wouldn't.

Last edited:

guineapig

Veteran
Hey Zamalito!!!

Have you seen where the original study is based on mitochondrial DNA analysis?
I think the scientists are using mitochondrial DNA to classify different varieties of
Cannabis into different sub-species. From an evolutionary and taxonomic point of
view, using mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA for short) is a much more prescise and exact
tool for the classification of different sub-species within a species.....

(i have posted a thread about mtDNA and this "Cannabis Rasta" article somewhere around here.....)

-kind regards from the guineapig........:ying:.....:ying:........

zamalito

Veteran
It sucks I won't be able to read your answer to this and I must admit you definitely know your stuff and it has definitely been a challenge trying to keep up with you. This is the type of stuff I'd like to see more of on boards like this. In fact this discussion is so important to me I've been typing up until the very minute I have to leave. My wife is nagging me to go so thanks for the discussion and maybe ill talk to you soo.

I believe all cannabis is one species.

What other species is seperated by only 1 gene?
What other plant species requires a lab test to identifiy it? Nobody can look at a plant and determine if it will primarly produce thc or cbd.

talk with ya later.

Last edited:

zamalito

Veteran
Hey raco good to see you, and reign hope ur doin well, G. Piggie I wish I had time to read the thread you posted hopefully I will be able to soon and thanks.

I'm at the library right now so please excuse my briefness. Though I am not saying there's more than one species of cannabis there are many many species of plant, fungi, bacteria and a few animal species that require special tests to determine correct species accurately and I'm sure you are wrong about that. Though I don't agree with them Richard Evan Schultes and linnaeus both said indica and sativa were separate species. I highly doubt that they would use an unprecedented criteria for separation of these species. Mendelian laws just like the anecdotal evidence in the chart done by small are but a first step in proving something like this so neither of us can say for sure. Hemp plants were distributed all over the equator and could've proved to be very useful for man especially considering the purpose that they were introduced into the tropical cultures was for fiber yet but hemp varieties no longer exist in the tropics not one culture managed to preserve or acclimate a fiber strain to their environment. However natural selection has allowed potent drug varieties to exist after hundreds of years without cultivation. In order to maintain a potent cannabis sativa in a northern latitude a breeder must do careful selection of male and female until low potency genes are no longer in the genepool. I'm sure you have read about the growers in the us when they first made hybrid sativa/afghani strains in the 60s and 70s. They were excellent quality the first generation the second generation they were still great but after 5 or 6 generations they decreased substantially in quality due to breeders only selecting seeds on the best female that had been randomly pollinated. The ibl strains bred from the pacific northwest that are still potent today are potent because of skilled breeding until the poor quality traits were bred out of the strains genepool. However growers and breeders in equatorial areas tend to only select the most vigorous plants and maybe the best potency in the mother and still managed to maintain high potency strains with little concern for cbd and only high potency. Many tropical areas even produce highly potent wild cannabis with nature only selecting the most successful plants.

I do have gc test results done by umiss on individual plants (not hashish) of greek turkish ethiopian and lebanese cannabis all of which failed to produce results of high thc/cbd ratio but mostly mid level and low thc/cbd ratio. In the test you referred to the 4 varieties of original stock used were either high thc/cbd or low. Suprisingly they didn't use any type 2 strains in the study.The possibilty of other variations of this gene could be quite likely. Even within the group used the two groups of type 1 or the 2 of type 3 plants could have genes that vary slightly in their expression of thc/cbd ratio and produce the same results due to the vagueness of the categories. One of the type 1 plants could have a gene for a 20:1 thc/cbd ratio and the other a 30:1 and the results of when each is crossed to a type 3 would put the ratio of offspring in the same categories.

Also I am aware that if their were two genes controlling this trait how it would be expressed in the f2 and how this fits with mendellian law. However as I said before if the varieties used in this study all were identical in their genotype of a second gene it would still appear that there is only one gene controlling this trait. Also if you look on seedboutique at cbd content of many of the new strains bred by greenhouse seed co. they don't fit the criteria used in this study for a drug type plant which is crazy. Meanwhile a plant that has only a .3% thc content and a .5 cbd content would be considered a drug type plant. Many equatorial sativas and landrace indicas that are amazingly potent still would not be characterized as drug plants by their criteria because the consistently produce cbd levels above .5 % . So there is very possibly a few genotypes not represented in this study. I wish we could know for sure what role cbd or thc/cbn and fiber content have in phenotype and nature but it is pretty bold for you to say that they have no role in natural selection. I wish I knew how much energy was required to convert cbg to both thc/cbn and cbd. There are many plants that produce chemicals specific to a species and very little is understood about the role of these chemicals. When we look at the rold thc has in nature we must also look at cbn because there might perhaps be separate roles of thc in live plants and its by product cbn in protecting seed in dead flower. There are people much more qualified than either of us trying to figure this out.

zamalito

Veteran
According to clarke the reason europeans only learned of the fiber properties of cannabis was because the cannabis had been feral in their environment for a very long time eroding the drug properties while simulateously increasing their fiber qualities and the cannabis at one point came from type 1 strains. Yet in equatorial environments cannabis has been feral for a very long time and still only type 1 plants exist in the wild with very low fiber content. I don't doubt that given human selection in any envirnonment with a large enough gene pool can produce high drug high fiber or a combination of the two. It is very hard to tell what different functions cbg cbd and thc have in nature. However plants do convert cbg to either one for some reason. Perhaps it is just remnant enzymes from a fuction posessed by some ancestor which would explain your theory but I find it hard to believe that cannabis plants would evolve two separate means and spend energy to convert cbg into other chemicals if those chemicals did not posess some advantage over cbg. If those chemicals have some advantage over cbg than it wouldn't be too hard to believe the have some advantage over each other. Even if those advantages aren't the chemicals thenmselves but the enzymes that allow their biosynthesis to occur.