What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Cannabidiol inhibits the reward-facilitating effect of morphine

Storm Shadow

Veteran
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22862835

Cannabidiol inhibits the reward-facilitating effect of morphine: involvement of 5-HT(1A) receptors in the dorsal raphe nucleus.

Abstract

Cannabidiol is a non-psychotomimetic constituent of Cannabis sativa, which induces central effects in rodents. It has been shown that cannabidiol attenuates cue-induced reinstatement of heroin seeking. However, to the best of our knowledge, its effects on brain stimulation reward and the reward-facilitating effects of drugs of abuse have not yet been examined. Therefore, we investigated the effects of cannabidiol on brain reward function and on the reward-facilitating effect of morphine and cocaine using the intracranial self-stimulation (ICSS) paradigm. Rats were prepared with a stimulating electrode into the medial forebrain bundle (MFB), and a guide cannula into the dorsal raphe (microinjection experiments), and were trained to respond for electrical brain stimulation. A low dose of cannabidiol did not affect the reinforcing efficacy of brain stimulation, whereas higher doses significantly elevated the threshold frequency required for MFB ICSS. Both cocaine and morphine lowered ICSS thresholds. Cannabidiol inhibited the reward-facilitating effect of morphine, but not cocaine. This effect was reversed by pre-treatment with an intra-dorsal raphe injection of the selective 5-HT(1A) receptor antagonist WAY-100635. The present findings indicate that cannabidiol does not exhibit reinforcing properties in the ICSS paradigm at any of the doses tested, while it decreases the reward-facilitating effects of morphine. These effects were mediated by activation of 5-HT(1A) receptors in the dorsal raphe. Our results suggest that cannabidiol interferes with brain reward mechanisms responsible for the expression of the acute reinforcing properties of opioids, thus indicating that cannabidiol may be clinically useful in attenuating the rewarding effects of opioids.
© 2012 The Authors, Addiction Biology © 2012 Society for the Study of Addiction

G

Guest 209445

All this evidence could make one sad.

There will be hopefully be a time not so far away when
people can use this plant as they see fit.

And i personally don't always need somebody in a white gown
to tell me what's good or bad for me. I'd much rather listen to my body and instincts. :tiphat:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
All this evidence could make one sad.

There will be hopefully be a time not so far away when
people can use this plant as they see fit.

And i personally don't always need somebody in a white gown
to tell me what's good or bad for me. I'd much rather listen to my body and instincts. :tiphat:

lots of testimony on this site that goes years aback about pot freeing many people from synthetic and non synthetic opiates

thats why so many people did just that, listened to their instinct and body and took another course regardless

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
This was why the study in Van BC was so effective an eye opening and perhaps why they want their greedy paws on it now headband 707

shmalphy

Veteran
I have known TOO MAY people who get injuries very young, and end up addicted to opiate pain killers as a result of it, and even some that have died from subsequent overdoses. One kid was 15 when he hurt his back lifting weights, and he died of an OD at 21. It is extremely unfortunate that they are essentially the first line of defense against pain these days.

S

Sat X RB

some past friends of ours used to visit our hippie hideout from the city every now and then to smoke dope when they began to use too much heroin.

it was good we could help them ... but boy they had a sad life.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
some past friends of ours used to visit our hippie hideout from the city every now and then to smoke dope when they began to use too much heroin.

it was good we could help them ... but boy they had a sad life.

ppl that use heroin know they have a sad life.. This is why lots of them joined this cannabis program to stop,, headband 707:)

Redrum92

It's well known weed is a miracle drug for quitting opiates. I would've never kicked my years long heroin/oxy habit without it.

As far as making opiates less euphoric? Maybe a teeny bit but IMHO it mostly just felt that way (to me) because weed "distances" you from your body a little bit. Or maybe makes you a little less clear headed. Minimal difference though IME