What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

California Wants Marijuana Growers to Please Stop Destroying the Environment

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
California Governor Jerry Brown signed into law today a bill that will charge steep fines to marijuana growers who cause environmental damages. It's targeted at the state's increasing number of illegal pot farms, who have wreaked havoc on local wildlife and water supplies.

According to the Los Angeles Times, state agents participated in 250 raids on illegal marijuana operations in California last year, yielding over 600,000 marijuana plants and 15,000 pounds of processed marijuana. It's not just a problem because it interferes with the state's legal marijuana growing operations, but because it's causing massive environmental damages. In one case, a grow site was diverting as much as 1,400 gallons each day from a stream where endangered salmon lived.

It takes a lot of water to grow pot plants, and water is becoming an increasingly scarce resource in California. "Marijuana plants use six to eight gallons of water per plant, per day, and are a direct hazard to wildlife that eats the plants," said California Department of Fish and Wildlife's assistant chief Brian Naslund in a press release last year. Among illegal grow operations, a great deal of that water is siphoned from other sources, which has a huge impact on local environments. The LA Times reported that last year, the state "found more than 135 dams or diversions in rivers and streams that resulted in the theft of about 5 million gallons of water for marijuana grows."

Read More: http://www.vice.com/read/california...to-please-stop-destroying-the-environment-265

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shameful cannabis growers are being targeted.

California has been polluted by far more nefarious industries....mining, timber come to mind at the moment. Caustic chemicals leached waterways to reap precious metals, a lot of clear cut timbering. Other industries create havoc with the water supply, even agriculture with their pesticides and herbicides, fertilizers, the San Joaquin Valley being a major "salad belt of America".

Then throw in horrendous wildfires, you've got a cataclysmic series of events.

But WHO do they target? Marijuana growers.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Give the east a chance

Give the east a chance

Legalizing cannabis east of the Mississippi will save California's water.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^ :laughing: ^^^
Not before the supply meets the demand.
Cali has always exported cannabis to locations where there is a demand. I don't think its going to stop any time soon simply because there's money to be made & people willing to take the risk to make it.

And I have to agree w Arid...
There are many many more industries that are polluting our environment in much more sinister ways.
#1, imo, would be the oil industry...
They Fuck up the roads, make new ones where none previously existed, pour chemicals into the earth by the millions of gallons/pounds, pollute the air with their huge convoys, destroy natural underground water systems, etc, etc, etc.

How about the industry surrounding silicon valley?
Lots of nasty chemicals around it... Actually some of the most toxic... Then the wares of the semiconductor industry are being placed in dumps (after they no longer work), spreading these toxins around the globe.

But Fuckin up our pristine forests is a big no no...
Unless your industry can pay somebody off at the top with your corporate moneys.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Someone explain the direct hazard animals are in by eating raw cannabis... choking on frosty buds? Great, now PETA and Sierra are going to start blockading outdoor grows ;)

Balance

and are a direct hazard to wildlife that eats the plants," said California Department of Fish and Wildlife's assistant chief Brian Naslund in a press release last year

That's who's in charge of fish and wildlife.... you guys are screwed.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
got to blame someone I guess....pot growers are low on the list of water users compared to agriculture and cows...the environmental impact for weed growers is low but ya there is bad apples with poisons and such....yeehaw...marijuana doesn't hurt wildlife lots of animals like to eat it too..hell even my bird would chow down...around here they flood the orchards now theres a lot of waste water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
mine comes from mountain now.. I get it first biotches..well within about 5 miles from as close as you can tap in..yeehaw

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
mine comes from mountain now.. I get it first biotches..well within about 5 miles from as close as you can tap in..yeehaw

"You must spread some rep around, blah, blah, blah...."

Wish I had a mountain stream!
Mine comes from the tiniest trickle of a spring (I'm talking 2 gallons per minute) close to my secret garden..

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
I think the gist of this is aimed mostly at the moneyed guerillas and cartels running massive outdoors in the mountains and sticks. they pump water directly from streams and generally treat the land and waterways without respect to anything other than the dollar.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
deer, horses, elk, cattle, groundhogs...ALL of those eat weed...unfortunately. just another gleam in my eye when i sit down to a nice thick ribeye..